Conversation Between Robert Wilkinson-Latham and Geoff Elford

5 Visitor Messages

1. geoff
    Hawkes were NOT makers, they sold swords bought from other makers, uaually Thurkke, Pillin and Wilkinson.
    Other London Tailors had their preferred suppliers. Herbert bought from Mole as did Hobsons, Hamburger Rogers and Harrods!

Hawkes did supply Wilkinson swords as the etching plates show but these would have a Wilkinson number on them.
    Hope this helps
    Robert
  2. Hello Robert,

Thank you for your prompt response. I am certainly a novice in the world of swords but can I assume that my sword was manufactured by Hawkes & Co, ie Hawkes & Co were sword cutlers not simply suppliers of clothing and accoutrements? I have heard that Henry Wilkinson made swords for Hawkes and Co.
    Regards
  3. Hello Geoff
    I am afraid I can add nothing to my comments re this sword on the Forum. there are NO records for Hawkes re sword sales and we can only surmise from other Hawkes numbered swords with presentation inscriptions re the date.

The number was Hawkes Customer number.
    Best i can do i am afraid
    Regards
    Robert
  4. Hello Robert,
    I was recently given an Edward VII 1897 pattern Infantry Officers sword. On the blade it has "HAWKES & Co PICCADILLY, LONDON". On the edge of the blade it has "LONDON MADE" and the number "5820" stamped into it. The proof slug (forgive me if I have incorrectly named it) has the crown over "PROVED". Can you tell me anything about this sword. I guess what I would like to know is what date it was made and who was the original owner.

Regards and thank you
  5. Hello Robert,
    I was recently given an Edward VII 1897 pattern Infantry Officers sword. It has the blade it has "HAWKES & Co PICCADILLY, LONDON". On the edge of the blade it has "LONDON MADE" and the number "5820" stamped into it. The proof slug (forgive me if I have incorrectly named it) has the crown over "PROVED". Can you tell me anything about this sword. I guess what I would like to know is what date it was made and who was the original owner.

Regards and thank you
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 5 of 5