Thread: Kris Cutlery or Cheness?

Kris Cutlery or Cheness?

Just curious, on a limited budget which would you choose and why; a KC katana or a Cheness Kaze? if we up the price to the $600.00 mark would it be a DF Bushi class kat or a CAS Hanwei ? A little higher budget would it be a DF Daimiyo blade or a Bugei, also why? I am asking this as if you were in the market for a real sword, for all around use, waza and cutting practice. No real purpose here just curious.
    Last edited by A. Lones; 03-27-2010 at 01:55 PM.
    My guess is that you are reading this in English on a computer of some sort and if that is the case I hate to be the one to tell you but you will never be a samurai nor a ninja, any more than you may apply to become a 12th century French Knight or an Emporer of China. Some jobs are simply no longer hiring.

Hi there,

It really depends on what you are looking for in a sword.

The KC katana IMO look quite horrible but are very functional swords. Everything will be solid but not exactly traditional but the tsukamaki will be useable and will not need to be redone.

Here is the kissaki of one of their katanas. http://www.kriscutlery.com/mm5/graph...II-kissaki.jpg

The Cheness swords to me are also not great, I had a bad experience with their swords but that was around 3 years ago now. The maki was loose and of poor quality, the sageo was shoe string, I needed to shim the saya, the tsuka was cracked and lastly the blade had a break in the hamon where it ran off the blade. This was my experience and going from the feedback on the beginners forum people seem to be quite happy with their swords, so I suppose they have improved since.

In conclusion I see KC as a no frills katana, which aims to make decent cutting katanas. Not very pretty but it will be solid and reliable. I would go for a KC sword if I was a serious practitioner who was not fussed about looks.

The Cheness I think try to do too much with their swords, and so end up cutting corners on everything. I would go with cheness if I wanted a sword with potential, where I would redo the tsuka, polish and buy a new sageo.

Personally, I like DF Bushi more aesthetically. The Hanwei are very good for cutting though the acid etched hamon is so too evident ... I think ... excessive makeup of an over fifty woman in search of strong emotions!

I forgot to add that the KC swords have very boring hamon's, which are somewhat difficult to etch.

Cheness are much more interesting.

Interesting openions, thanks a bunch guys. Anyone want to compare the DF Daimiyo class sword to the Bugei? I am head over heals for the new Peace Sword they offer, prior to that I would have definately chosen the DF over Bugei in terms of looks, anyone have any experience with these swords in hand care to compare?
    My guess is that you are reading this in English on a computer of some sort and if that is the case I hate to be the one to tell you but you will never be a samurai nor a ninja, any more than you may apply to become a 12th century French Knight or an Emporer of China. Some jobs are simply no longer hiring.

I own both a Kris Cutlery 29", and a Cheness Shura. By far my favorite is the Shura. The geometry is more wicked for cutting (IMO), and the blade is hella-stronger then the KC. I personally have had no problem with the fittings on my Cheness, and i certainly have no complaints with the blade - its an AWESOME beater. Me and my friend went out and done some bamboo cutting (live green bamboo) and i used my cheness, letting him use my KC. He ended up putting a nick in the KC (its differently tempered so its a bit softer then the cheness) whereas i had no problems, even taking out a 3-4 inch wide piece.

Also i should point out, if youre wanting to do cutting, on cheness's site they recommend you get one of their through hardened blades rather then use a kaze (see above note about differently tempered), and i personally recommend the 9260 line.

As a side note - my KC saya was crap. I still use it, cause i kinda have to, but its a light, flimsy piece of kindle wood. My cheness actually had a good thick/substantial saya, and i can buy replacement ones to fit the geometry.

Good luck in which ever you get, and be sure to make a review.

~Jessie F.
    "Strategy is the craft of the warrior."

"The long sword (katana) can be used effectively in all situations."

-Quotes from the Book of 5 rings by Miyamoto Musashi

Cheness improved a lot in 3 years. No more hamon going out of the blade, just ask them!

Quote Originally Posted by Rubem Bastos View Post
    Cheness improved a lot in 3 years. No more hamon going out of the blade, just ask them!
    Not really interested a whole lot in Cheness, but this is interesting news, if true. Are you referring to the issue noted from a while back on their DH 9260 blades where the hamon just ran off the sword around/after the monouchi without going up to the kissaki (i.e. no boshi, etc.)?
    "It is my feeling that to make a good sword, one must make a weapon first, and art second. But if it is really "right", it is both things at once, and in equal measure." -- Howard Clark

"I cannot compensate for improper use of a sword. Nothing is bullet proof and idiots prove on a regular basis that nothing is idiot-proof -- they're just too creative." -- Keith Larman

Unless Cheness have completely rethought their product, KC over Cheness any day of the week. Just don't let untrained friends try to chop down trees with it..
    Certified nerd; if you need an Excel sheet or an AutoCAD drawing done, just drop me a PM!

Yes well, as ive said i have no complaints about my cheness, and it does kick the KC out of the water with cutting ability and durability, not to mention it looks better.

A friend of mine bought a KC before i got my cheness and ended up sending it back because it was garbage and he decided he didnt even want to exchange it. My KC wasnt like that, and is an older mod. and it done its job fair enough, but doesnt have the appeal, and certainly not the ability of my cheness 9260.

Believe as you wish.

~Jessie F.
    "Strategy is the craft of the warrior."

"The long sword (katana) can be used effectively in all situations."

-Quotes from the Book of 5 rings by Miyamoto Musashi

Joo-Hwan Lee:
    I was concerned with the boshi while ordering the blade for somebody. The blade sent had a boshi.
    I checked the tsuka and found no crackings. It was even better shaped than some more expensive stuff.
    I guess they listen to the exposed problems and correct them the best they can.
    I´d go with them in sub $300 swords.

I own the Cheness Kaze katana and wakasashi now, when I first got them I was relieved because of all the negative press I have read in various reviews; however, on mine everything seemed a tight fit. After a bit of time passed I noticed that my habaki did not align properly with the mune or ha of the blade. Over all the blade fit tightly in the saya but the saya seems to have been very poorly carved, the shape does not even come close to fitting the habaki, which if you will remember is off again from the blade. I see that new habaki maybe ordered off the Cheness site but I would wonder if they would really fit... and what level of skill would be required to get a mass produced habaki to fit a given blade on the part of someone, like myself. I have resigned myself to the quality of my Kaze daisho and am currently making custom shira saya for both just for the experience. I believe in the future I will order a Bugei or wait and save for a nihonto.

One thing I did find in the disasembly of the Kaze wakasahsi tsuka and saya was that the wood used was pretty good quality hard wood, very strait grain without any signs of knotts. That is a pluss. When I get to the katana I will let you know about that as well. Cheers to all