Thread: DF Daimiyo class vs Bugei

DF Daimiyo class vs Bugei

Has anyone experience in handleing both the Dynasty Forge Daimiyo class, or Bushi in a pinch, as well as a Bugei sword and if so could you share what you found to be the major differences between the two. Mainly as blades but in fittings as well, your personal opinon is fine but please explain. Thank you in advance!
    My guess is that you are reading this in English on a computer of some sort and if that is the case I hate to be the one to tell you but you will never be a samurai nor a ninja, any more than you may apply to become a 12th century French Knight or an Emporer of China. Some jobs are simply no longer hiring.

The Bushi class and Bugei blades are closer in appeal and design. The Daimyo blades I have owned / customized are very flat, very little niku, and RAZOR blades. The downside is these extremely sharp blades can be damaged in untrained hands.

I actually shortened a daimyo blade a bit ago, had to file away some of the ha to get a 29 inch blade to 27 inches. The edge on this blade was particularly tough, before I filed it away, I decided to whack the edge a few times with a brass hammer awl to see what would happen. The edge chipped only when I struck it at a bad angle, straight on the edge remained fine, or slightly burred. However, this was at the lower section of the blade, which was sharpened, but not as much as the higher section.

Again, this was just the one blade I was looking over, just an anecdotal example.

The Bushi line has narrower, but thicker blades with more niku, more edge support. The Bugei line varies a large amount, either with flat blades like the Dragonfly, massive cutting blades like the Bamboo, and everything in between. The biggest difference though is Bugei gets their blades to be very uniform in shape. Although hand made, each blade will only have some varience between them. A lot of Dynasty's stuff varies wildly even in the same groups. One blade I have has the nicest profile I've seen on almost any production katana, it really reminds me more of a shinsakuto than anything else. Slender bo hi, nice hada, well done hamon, strong geometric yokote, it even has that little ridge in the ha where it cuts into the kissaki area. Then I might get another blade from the same batch with a much wider blade, maybe even .2 inches wider at the yokote, that's flat and had a very wide bo hi.

Bugei blades are extremely nice though. More expensive, but likely you'll be 100% satisfied out of the box. Make sure if you order from them, order something in stock, wait times can be quite long for a Bugei piece if it's out of stock. They have very high quality control.
    Every time I put on a suit for a wedding or other event, I feel like I'm wearing optimal clothing for an epic fight scene...

Ronin Outpost

I have a few thoughts/experiences which might be helpful.

1. I own a DF Bushi Shobu
    2. I also own a Hanwei bushido
    3. Hanwei makes Bugei swords and it should be the case that the qualities of Bugei's are at least as good, and very likely better than my bushido
    4. As I understand - Aaron, correct me if I am wrong here - the difference between the Bushi and Daimyo classes is mainly the polish, though other differences such as geometry exist. My point here is that, as I understand, the quality of the fittings, wrap and tsuka are the same.
    5. In my opinion, the quality of the fittings on my Budshido are superior to my Bushi (albeit a bit gaudy perhaps).
    6. The wrap and ito on my Bushido is also superior. DF uses a synthetic silk ito of mediocre quality while the bushido has a high quality cotton ito. The bushido's tsuka is wrapped much tighter - rock solid while my bushi isn't so tight. Note, though, that Bugei uses silk ito, the quality to which I cannot speak to, though I expect the wrap is quite good.
    7. I don't know how good the quality control is at DF for their different classes. The first Bushi I recieved I had to send back for replacement (bent blade). The second one has a cracked tsuka (waiting for new tsuka) and the habaki/saya fit isn't very good (habaki bites into koiguchi). Bugei's QC is, well, legendary.
    8. As Aaron said, DF blades are excellent. My Bushido is great too and performs very well.
    9. As I understand, Bugei swords have the same horrible frosty hamon as other Hanwei swords.

That's all I can think of right now.

Dynasty is in the middle of trying to clear some QC issues. First being new tsuka cores. I've only seen a few so far, but the wood used in the latest Daimyo line I handled is much harder and used no wood shims at all. It was close to poplar in weight and density.

Also, the silk is real, just not as tight a weave as the Paul Chen stuff. Try burning some loose fibers in a wrap, smells like burning feathers. Synthetic smells like burning plastic.
    Every time I put on a suit for a wedding or other event, I feel like I'm wearing optimal clothing for an epic fight scene...

Ronin Outpost

The Samurai and the Bushi are the two most similar. I've cut with both and they are nice and sturdy with niku.

I had a DF Daimyo in the O-Katana length. Not much niku and it wasn't up to the same standards in wear. Beautiful to use and look at but it was quite thin at the monouchi.

If I was in the market now, I'd be looking at the new Bugei blades.

Not sure if the shorter models are better.
    Bartender and Brewmeister for the Pub

Stranger in a Strange land

Quote Originally Posted by Mat Rous View Post
    The Samurai and the Bushi are the two most similar.
    Realy? Bugei Bamboo is a heavy thick sword. The Samurai model is suposed to be even heavier... If the Bushi 1095 are that strong and with niku (I think you´re talking about the non bo-hi model)...

From the Bamboo katana I once owned, and the one I sent you, the Bamboo is actually thicker and heavier than the Samurai. The Crane and the Dragonfly are both fairly flat blades, more Daimyo like.

Ronin Outpost

Quote Originally Posted by Rubem Bastos View Post
    Realy? Bugei Bamboo is a heavy thick sword. The Samurai model is suposed to be even heavier... If the Bushi 1095 are that strong and with niku (I think you´re talking about the non bo-hi model)...
    The Bushi had no hi. Most cutting blades I've used didn't have them.
    Bartender and Brewmeister for the Pub

Stranger in a Strange land

Thanks, Mat!
    Aaron,
    How the non bo-hi bushi compares to the bamboo?

Thanks, Mat!
    Aaron,
    I would like to thank everyone for participating on this thread. Excellent question Rubem, Like you I would be greatly interested in how a non-hi DF Bushi stacks up against a Bugei Samurai or Bamboo, or even better yet against the new blades like the Old Pine or the Peace sword, which from my perspective are the two which actually would give DF a run for my money when it comes to fittings and blade. (Of course my opinion so far is based on looks only. While I am not crazy about the koshire or tsuba on the Old Pine, I do quite like the look of the blade it has a very interesting hamon; but, I think the Peace sword appears superb in every way.)
    Last edited by A. Lones; 04-11-2010 at 03:23 PM. Reason: addition
    My guess is that you are reading this in English on a computer of some sort and if that is the case I hate to be the one to tell you but you will never be a samurai nor a ninja, any more than you may apply to become a 12th century French Knight or an Emporer of China. Some jobs are simply no longer hiring.

Thanks, Mat!
    Aaron,
    I would say the Bushi line more closely compares with the Bushido katana. The Samurai and Bamboo blades are very, very thick, slightly more modern flavored though I've seen a few (and own) nihonto that are quite thick blades.

Ronin Outpost

Thanks, mate!