Thread: Nosyuiaido shinken

Nosyuiaido shinken

Does anyone know anything about SwordStore.com or Nosyuiaido, their reputation, blade quality and such? Has anyone here ever ordered a sword from them? Their site says, and they very well may, supply shinken forged by actual Toshyo in Japan. The photos on the site show beautiful blades and fittings, makes the mouth water just to see them, but I am curious. Anyone care to bite?
    My guess is that you are reading this in English on a computer of some sort and if that is the case I hate to be the one to tell you but you will never be a samurai nor a ninja, any more than you may apply to become a 12th century French Knight or an Emporer of China. Some jobs are simply no longer hiring.

Well I don't have any direct experience with them, but know some who have bought iaito from there. From what I have heard, their reputation is good, and the quality, on iaito anyway, is top notch. I believe the iaito, even though not steel blades, are assembled in Japan, to great quality control.

I recently purchased my iaito from them. Top notch work, and amazing communication. I mean to the point where I was discussing all kinds of extraneous stuff with Rick via eMail, just for the hell of it. I've had the sword for a few months now, and sometimes I feel like I should send him an eMail, just to see how he's doing....

Delivery was earlier than expected as well, which I understand is rare in the realm of custom iaito.

I say go for it. I really can't recommend them enough.

peace.

I think he's asking specifically about the shinken and not the iaito (aluminum and steel iaito).

Well, he asked if anyone knew anything about Swordstore. I told what I know.

peace.

i've not ordered a shinken (meaning, the shinsakuto) from them, but i have bought a steel iaito. customer service was excellent. rick and i talked on the phone for quite awhile and he more or less went through all the swords they had in stock in detail, letting me know what each different blade's strong points were. you really can't beat the mount they get without going custom. i would strongly urge anyone to at least talk to them and see what you think.

edit to add: you might have trouble finding anyone on sfi who has gotten a shinken from them. my understanding is that they're aimed more towards advanced practitioners than collectors. dave drawdy could probably give some insight, though. he seems to know more about these sorts of things than the rest of us, being both an advanced practitioner/sensei *and* a collector.

edit to add more: they used to actually carry some in-stock shinken, and had good galleries of them. there were a few i'd have loved to snatch up. if the price is acceptable for what you want i would say you couldn't go wrong with them.
    Last edited by les yeich; 04-14-2010 at 08:12 AM.
    les yeich (pronounced yike)

helden wie wir sterben doch allein,
    einsam unerreicht werden wir sein.
    - the "great" jasmin wagner

An important point is that the steel iaito are not Japanese shinken. Presumably the fittings are Japanese while the blades are chinese.

yes i believe it's already been alluded to several times

Personally no but my iaido sensei has handled their iaito before and he rates them above Tozando's products in handling and quality and tozando seem to have a pretty solid reputation.

Once I'm in the market for a new iaito nosyuiaido is where my money will go based on my sensei's experience.

Quote Originally Posted by k.moralee View Post
    Personally no but my iaido sensei has handled their iaito before and he rates them above Tozando's products in handling and quality and tozando seem to have a pretty solid reputation.

Once I'm in the market for a new iaito nosyuiaido is where my money will go based on my sensei's experience.
    We're not mistaking Nosyudo (Mr. Igarashi in Seki, Japan) with Nosyuiaido (Swordstore) right?
    Brad

Quote Originally Posted by BradleyAnderson View Post
    We're not mistaking Nosyudo (Mr. Igarashi in Seki, Japan) with Nosyuiaido (Swordstore) right?
    Brad
    Not entirely sure dude, all I'm going on is the much advised "ask your sensei" he likes the nosyuiaido iaito so that's where I'll be looking.

I've looked at the swordstore website as well as tozando and prefer the range swordstore offer. Some of the guys in our dojo have just bought tozando iaito and although they. are nice enough, the tsuka shaping looks a little strange, quite angular as opposed to nice and rounded.

I seems to me - and I could be wrong - that tozando, nosyuiaido and yamatobudogu all source their swords and fittings from the same place. That's just an observation.

Quote Originally Posted by J MacDonald View Post
    An important point is that the steel iaito are not Japanese shinken. Presumably the fittings are Japanese while the blades are chinese.
    Ah I always wondered about the "steel" iaito. Knowing Japan can't export steel, not even stainless blades. So are their steel iaito stainless or carbon steel?

Quote Originally Posted by Gyan G. View Post
    Ah I always wondered about the "steel" iaito. Knowing Japan can't export steel, not even stainless blades. So are their steel iaito stainless or carbon steel?
    Not quite correctly. You are allowed to both import and export stainless steel from/into Japan. This is a special type of stainless and cannot be magnetic.

As I understand, the only legal swords in Japan are proper nihonto. Other "swords" are weapons without purpose and are thus illegal. Aluminum iaito are not considered weapons and are thus legal.
    I'm not so sure about stainless steel swords. I imagine that they are illegal as they contain iron and I think there are specific stipulations about that. However, if it's non-magnetic, I just don't know. If a stainless steel is non-magnetic then it would contain very little iron and it would be very hard to call it steel so I'm rather confused.

You are allowed to import and export nihonto. It's not necessarily easy, but you can do it.

The "steel iaito" in question are not proper nihonto (as far as I know) and are thus illegal to make, posses, export/import in Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Ching View Post
    Not quite correctly. You are allowed to both import and export stainless steel from/into Japan. This is a special type of stainless and cannot be magnetic.
    umm... no. not even close. i'm not aware of any quality production stainless katana. they're carbon steel blades made in china by (last i heard) fred chen. my understanding is you can get a folded blade, you just have to ask. the blades are mounted in japan. i can't comment on the process, only the outcome.

my opinion is that swordstore offers the best tsuka maki and saya short of actually going through a custom mounter. they're made to perform in a practitioner's hands, and this is very obvious when you hear rick describe his wares.

also, my understanding is that nosyuiaido and swordstore are no longer one and the same, although i could be mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by J MacDonald View Post
    The "steel iaito" in question are not proper nihonto (as far as I know) and are thus illegal to make, posses, export/import in Japan.
    i'm not entirely sure of the process, but carbon steel non-nihonto can (in some regulated, limited way) be brought in and out of japan. the kotetsu katana are another example of a foreign blade that is mounted in japan. also i've heard accounts of iaidoka bringing their katana in for various events. unfortunately i want to say i've heard of some blades being confiscated, at least for the duration of the owner's stay.

Do none of these recommendations or FAQ reflect modern mounted swords in Japan?

http://www.swordforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16748

http://forums.swordforum.com/showthr...threadid=16799

Cheers

Hotspur; just curious, as I have never looked much to Japan's laws

An oldie with some of the information

http://swordforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=378841

Not surpisingly,

There is a great amount of material to read simply by putting the two words Nosyuiaido shinken into a Google or other internet search. I am sometimes confounded by the debates and discussions with only parts of the references to back up whatever stance one is making. A lot of running around and even heat can be avoided simply in offering sources for what one insists to be the whole story (or even a better part of it).

Cheers

Hotspur; again, as not really a buff of this market sector I can hardly assume any expertise aside from what I read of other's thoughts

Thanks Glen.
    Those were some very informative posts.

Swordstore/Nosyuiaido is an American company that have the sole rights to distribute swords from Nosyuiaido outside of Japan. Nosyuiaido in Japan are now known as Nosyudo and is run my Igarashi san in Seki city - Gifu

Due to a legal battle regarding the name and distribution which Swordstore own, the name Nosyuiaido was lost by Igarashi san.

I am not 100% on the current status of the legal situation but I believe that if you want as true Nosyudo sword Iaito/mogito or Nihonto Shinken then you will need to have a contact in Japan purchase it for you.

The current offerings from Swordstore are not the same as they once were.

I have a shinken made by Tosho Kanemichi that I purchased when I was last in Japan, this was organised through a third party and Nosyudo. I think this is what the OP is referring to as a Nosyuiaido Shinken.

So it is a little complicated to answer the OPs question.

The Nosyudo iaito/mogito are generally considered to be the best in Japan, and you will find Igarashi san at most of the large seminars, embu and Taikai in Japan, Europe and Australia.

Igarashi san is also a 4th Dan Iaidoka, 4th Dan Jodoka, a student of MJER and a person friend.

I was at the shop in Seki city last november. We got a tour of the manufacturing side of things.

My next Iaito will be from there - they have great advice like sending outlines drawn of your hands etc.

It's worth the trip if you're over there as he has a fantastic Nihonto display upstairs. We were allowed to hold some monstrous blades
    Bartender and Brewmeister for the Pub

Stranger in a Strange land

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Anstey View Post
    I am not 100% on the current status of the legal situation but I believe that if you want as true Nosyudo sword Iaito/mogito or Nihonto Shinken then you will need to have a contact in Japan purchase it for you.

The Nosyudo iaito/mogito are generally considered to be the best in Japan...
    I agree 100% with Jason. In Japan, Nosyudo is regarded as the premium iaito supplier, and I too consider Mr. Igarashi a personal friend.

Good news - it's less than a year now that the "ban" on sales in North America will be lifted, so we'll all be able to order these top quality items again (without the extra hassle created by the lawsuit).

I have a Nosyudo commissioned shinken, beautiful. My students have nosyudo iaito, beautiful and excellent quality. I wouldn't buy from anyone else.
    Brad