Thread: A Recent Dao Find...need info

A Recent Dao Find...need info

Our co-worker Rick recently picked up this sword at an estate sale. From what we can tell it has iron fittings that were made with hand tools. Real ray skin handle and scabbard. Distal tapered forged blade with hand scraped fullers. The one major thing that is throwing us off is that the top fuller is devided into three sections with what looks to be modern weld. The story is that Rick's friend's grandfather traveled around the world and picked this up in China years ago.

Any info on this would be helpfull.

Here are some pictures.

Last edited by Glen C.; 05-10-2010 at 02:45 PM. Reason: brokering sales is inappropriate
    "If you can draw it, we can make it".
    "ART SHOULD HURT"

Matt Stagmer - Sword Maker @ BKS

www.Baltimoreknife.com
    www.Facebook.com/Baltimoreknife

Comments welcome and any info would be great!
    "If you can draw it, we can make it".
    "ART SHOULD HURT"

Matt Stagmer - Sword Maker @ BKS

www.Baltimoreknife.com
    www.Facebook.com/Baltimoreknife

Not sure about the welds,pehaps there are cracks in the blade? I really hope not.And after looking at lots of fake and real fittings ,the patina on that iron looks 100% real to me.It has that same 'look' as my antique (Japanese) fittings on my blades as well as the iron lockplates and ornament on some of my higher end Tansu (Japanese furniture),Chests,...as well as some 200 year old iron Japanese lanterns I have.
    I've also seen bo-hi on Chinese blades (real) that started and stopped that way.But the lines were clean.Either someone wanted to 'rebalance the blade with the weight of the welds or they are covering up a flaw somewhere.
    Can something like that be scanned or x-rayed?
    Either way ,great find!

Based on my viewing of a lot of antique chinese sabers, I can say that many have one or more long, uninterrupted fullers and others have clearly segmented fullers. It looks like this dao was modified from the former into the latter.

Hello Matt & Rick,

The rayskin is well done but looks too well preserved (and unstained) to be original. I believe it's a later restoration.

It looks like this dao was modified from the former into the latter.
    Traditional repairs and modifications of decent blades are almost invariably of high quality; this looks like a later attempt (probably while restoring the piece for sale back then).
    Regards,
    Kai

Yes, the ray skin and scabbard look new. The color and polish of the rayskin are typical of modern work, and as mentioned, they look new.
    Josh

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lampe View Post
    Based on my viewing of a lot of antique chinese sabers, I can say that many have one or more long, uninterrupted fullers and others have clearly segmented fullers. It looks like this dao was modified from the former into the latter.
    Hey there, nice find. I was going to say what Chris Lampe said here. The segmented fullers became quite popular in these types of Daos, so maybe it was modified to get that look, and the new ray skin could of been done at that time as well. Pass it by Scott Rodel, he's on these boards I believe, he would know the best I believe.

Notice that the patina on the peened end of the tang and the pommel is identical.
    Josh

Just my thoughts on this, interpret them as you will...

From what I can see, the fullers are machined, not forged.
    The welds are definitely arc welds.
    The patination is even on all the fittings, with no signs of polish from use.
    The ray skin is clean, even on the very hard clean places, such us up close and under the scabbard fittings, meaning it has not aged with the fittings.