Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Scots Grey sword. Restore or leave?

As the grip is not original, I see no harm in the replacement.
    Andre F. Ducote
    Mississippi

smooth leather

I have had good sucess to smooth leather using a microwave. Wet the leather, a piece large enough to take some shrinkage and bind it to the grip, microwave, keeping an eye on it, about 20 or so seconds maybe more. The leather will contract and be develop a very smooth tight fit on the grip. Just trim any excess and you're done. Practice is good and it does not hurt the grip.
    Last edited by Will Mathieson; 06-16-2010 at 11:07 AM. Reason: add pic

What if you used a car buffer on the leather as well as soaking with water and a bit of vegetable oil..this might produce the same environment it would have had in the past 200 years only the process sped up. This would be replicating wear and sweaty oily palms...of course the buffing will be last.

Brian

Modern man has no patience!

Put the leather on and wait 200 years!

Ian,

In one of my grip experiments I fixed the leather, bound it tight using cord, than heated it using a heat gun, being sure to keep it moving. This had the effect of causing the leather to go almost rock hard. It did contract, as in Will's example, however had not done the final trimming yet. An application of shoe polish and a buff finished it nicely.

Rob
    Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit

Here is an 'old' trick we used as Wilkinsons in my day and well before when cleaning and restoring for aging leather.

Take a plastic box container (Ice cream box, Tupperwear or equivalent) large enough to suspend your bit of leather/leather covered grip (already on grip is probably best). Half or quarter fill the box with Vinegar (level depends on size of leather/grip and level of suspension arrived at by a dry run! Suspend the leather or grip covered in leather just above the surface of the vinegar (Not touching). Put on the lid and watch carefully as the leather takes on age.
    To get a 'perfect age', say 1800, do the above with a small bit of leather as a test and time it. Should take a few hours to a day or so to get some real age on it.

Robert, Will and Rob,
    Thank you for the tips. I will spend a day or two experimenting.

Ian

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234