Thread: Cheness Kaze Daisho for Sale

Cheness Kaze Daisho for Sale

Cheness Kaze Daisho
    This is what Cheness says about the Kaze:
    Our differentially tempered (hardened) steel katanas are made by popular request for various purposes. Mostly, it is for those looking for an un-etched hamon blade for display purposes and occasional cutting. Our differentially hardened blades are made by hand claying, scraping the hamon, then packing the spine of the blade for a second temper and quenching... and we do not etch over the natural hamon. This results in a very attractive and subtle hamon with a lot of activities at its border.

- 9260 Differentially Hardened Spring Steel Katana
    Name "Kaze" (Wind)
    Blade Differentially Hardened 9260 Silicon Alloy Carbon Spring Steel.
    Overall Length (+ Saya) 42.5"
    Treatment Full Hand Forged, Clay Hardened, Water Quenched, Hand Polished
    Finish Tameshigiri Polish
    Blade Dimension 28" Length, 0.3" Width, 1.25" Height
    Sori (Curvature) 0.7"
    Weight 2 lbs 9 oz
    Tsuba/Fuchi/Kashira Blackened Cast Steel Tsuba with Antiqued Brass Fuchi/Kashira
    Balance Point 5" above tsuba (with fuller), 6" above tsuba (without fuller)
    Tsuka/Ho 11" Wood

Tsuka Ito Brown Cotton
    Mekugi 2 X Wood (Double Pinned)
    Same Real Ray Skin Panel Wrap
    Saya 30.5" Black Glossy Lacquered Medium Hardwood

9260 DH "Kaze" Wakizashi

Name Kaze Wakizashi - 9260 Fully Functional Wakizashi
    Blade Differentially Hardened 9260 Silicon Alloy Carbon Spring Steel.
    Overall Length (+ Saya) 29"
    Treatment Hand Heat Forged, Heat Tempered, Water Quenched
    Finish Tameshigiri Polish
    Blade 21"
    Weight (+Saya) 1.2 lbs
    Tsuba/Fuchi/Kashira Cast iron Chenss Kaze Tsuba
    Balance Point 4.5" from tsuba
    Bo-hi (Blood Groove) No bo-hi
    Tsuka/Ho 6.5" Wood
    Tsuka Ito Brown Cotton
    Mekugi 1 bamboo plus 1 copper
    Same Real Ray Skin Panel Wrap
    Saya 22" Black Glossy Lacquered Medium Hardwood

This is the overall appearance of the sword. Shape of the tsuka (before drilling), and blade geometry. The Kaze has our standard 28" in length from notch on habaki to kissaki. Solid width at 0.3" with a sori of 0.7". Tsuba is blackened cast steel tsuba. Kashira and fuchi have reverted back to antiqued brass "nugget" pattern finish. But the most attractive part to this blade is the natural hamon.
    The Kaze does not have the same resiliency as the through hardened 9260 "Tenchi" or "Shura", but is stronger than the Kanbai katana. Differential hardening only allows for a portion of the blade to utilize the potential of the properly heat treated silicon alloying agent. This, however, more closely resembles the behavior of a traditionally constructed blade.

The natural hamon on the Kaze is more defined than those on the Kanbai katana. This is due to 2 factors: 9260 reacts to clay hardening differently than 1045... There are less activities on the border of the hamon, but a more distinct pooling of the nie crystal, making for a cleaner, better defined hamon line. Secondly, the kaze has an ever-so-slightly better polish for the purpose of bringing out the natural hamon.

The beautiful natural hamon on the differentially hardened 9260 Spring Steel blade allows for it to be further brought out by etching or polishing the steel. This sword is made as a means to make our 9260 DH available in a near-bareblade format. Allowing for customizing, projects, and experiments.

The tsuba on the Kaze is a cast steel construction. The design are based on an antique tsuba submitted to us. Tsuka (Grip) and nakago (Tang) - Real same skin (Ray Skin) panel wrap over wood then wrapped in brown (updated) cotton cord. Double wooden mekugi (Retaining Pin).

The Kaze (Wind) is the result of many popular requests for a clay tempered (hardened) blade using our 9260 Silicon Alloy Spring Steel. The blade body of the Kaze is a hand clayed and differentially heat treated 9260 silicon carbon spring steel. It is finished with a replica of an antique blackened cast steel tsuba submitted to us. This steel is stronger than our Kanbai katana, but does not have the same resiliency of the through hardened 9260. The gain from the clay hardening is that the blade has a smooth and elegant natural hamon (9260 does not generate the same hamon as the Kanbai katana).

I am selling these as a daisho only they are customized to a minimal level, there is a new Japanese made silk saego (I got from Tozando) on the katana and new tsuba on both . I have new fuchi and koshira which match the tsuba and a gold plated ‘dragon themed’ menuki but have not made the custom tsuka for them. I have used the katana to cut a pumpkin and a watermelon as a test, great sword for cutting it is just more than I need, because there are kids in the house I really only use my iatio and am extremely cautious about using it. Cutting with the katana and seeing how easily it cuts really sobered me up on sword safety and kids in the house. The saego is not tied for display but for work in iaido, I purchased it to use as a working sword not for looking pretty on a shelf. That said the level of polish is likely the same as any Cheness Kaze on the market today, it is not museum quality by any means but it is quite nice and shows the natural hamon rather well. All fittings are tight and there is no rattle or poor fits. I have removed the copper mekugi on the tsuka and they have been replaced with nice tight bamboo mekugi which are better and safer in my opinion. If you are interested PM me here at SFI and we will go from there. I am asking $600.00 US for the Kaze Daisho. These items are currently listed as BACKORDER on the Cheness homepage.

Cheness Kaze Daiso: $600.00 US
    I will cover Shipping and Handling.

Andrew Lones
    PM me and I will provide photos and such of sword as needed.
    My guess is that you are reading this in English on a computer of some sort and if that is the case I hate to be the one to tell you but you will never be a samurai nor a ninja, any more than you may apply to become a 12th century French Knight or an Emporer of China. Some jobs are simply no longer hiring.

$ 430.00 CDN for the daisho now, or best reasonable offer. I will pay shipping at $430.oo
    My guess is that you are reading this in English on a computer of some sort and if that is the case I hate to be the one to tell you but you will never be a samurai nor a ninja, any more than you may apply to become a 12th century French Knight or an Emporer of China. Some jobs are simply no longer hiring.

bump

bump