Thread: A few blade pics...Hua Wei katana.

A few blade pics...Hua Wei katana.

Here's a few pics of my recently purchased hua wei swords unokubi zukuri katana. The overall quality, fit and finish, and craftsmanship is pretty amazing for a sword in this price range. ($271.00 delivered) I was very pleasantly surprised with my purchase as I expected somewhat of a 'hit or miss' deal. The proprietors offer a 7 day money back guarantee as well and were easy to work with. I plan on another purchase right away and will perhaps get a 9620 katana just to cut with as this one actually looks nice enough to enjoy for iai and kata only. Makes a great tachikaze with its diamond shaped cross section.

Steve

The Hamon continues under the habaki area and off the blade.

Interesting shot of the blade's sunlit reflection on black painted board showing the hamon, yokote and boshi.

Showing some ashi.

More ashi.

Kissaki with yokote

Utsuri?

Pretty cool sword! Very nice Hamon.

Can you show also the koshirae? Does the Unokubi Zukuri not have a half a bo-hi? The Hi stops about one inch from yokote?

Mike

Pretty nice. I like the way T10 takes the heat treat. I have a wak in T10 that has a similar hamon and T10 is pretty hard wearing from what I can tell.

I currently have the kanmuri otoshi being made to my specs that I feel will suit my iaido. I have asked for it to be left un-sharpened for that purpose and am supplying my own fittings. A nice alternative to Tozando, hanwei etc for those on a budget (with some spare fittings lying around).... I'll get a novice review up when it arrives

Mike,

I'm on vacation right now about 2500 miles away from my swords so obviously, no pics. It has two hi. One (the wide one) ends about a a third of the length from the machi. the other- as you see it - one inch from the kissaki.

If you go on the auction site you'll see their offerings. Some give the 'pick and choose' options of color scheme, ito/sageo, fittings, koshirae, etc.

I'm emailing Jacky now for several more purchases next week. I'll be getting a 9260 steel cutter/beater to see how well these stand up to hard cutting. Plus another nicer one for iai and kata and a matching waki. For the money, I'm quite pleased with my first purchase. It makes a great tachikaze and the length is just right.
    This katana comes to just about to touch my right big toe at arm's length when barefoot OR correct for my height. Hope this helps.
    Steve