Thread: help with id of swords

help with id of swords

Hi, I bought these swords several years ago,they weren't represented as any type can you help i.d.The short sword has some pitting and is very light weight has a good feel to it.the characters are on the long sword,can anyone translate. I can't get the images to post but can with yahoo email.my email address is debra.cornelison@yahoo if anyone can help,drop me an email.i will forward images. [I MG]swordforum.com[/IMG]
    Last edited by debra g. cornelison; 06-17-2010 at 08:39 AM. Reason: mispelling

Here you go
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Always check your assumptions...there are no contradictions.
    Get some real news...
    www.informationclearinghouse.info
    www.counterpunch.org
    http://globalresearch.ca

v2
    Always check your assumptions...there are no contradictions.
    Get some real news...
    www.informationclearinghouse.info
    www.counterpunch.org
    http://globalresearch.ca

many thanks to glen and emanuel

I sincerely appreciate the help of you two,I never expected such a quick response I'm going to try the photo gallery,sounds easier.

more pics of swords

I will again try to upload more photos.The short sword has brass pins no other marks,the blade has some pitting and looks very used.The shaeth and the handle were wrapped in silk and painted silver but someone thoughy it was duct tape and removed it.

swords can anyone id or date ?

Hi, I'm posting pics of swords I've owned for a few years,unsure about age bought from two different people.The long jian has the budhist swastika on it,the man I bought it from thought it was German,not much knowledge or interest in asian culture in my area,which is why I've turned to the forum any info or opinions are greatly appreciated. Salutations,Debra

Better pictures would help. Clear photos of the blades and tips, photos of the ends of the pommels, and photos that look in the mouth of the dragonheads would be very useful. What is their provenance? The big one looks like possible Javanese work. They make "Chinese temple swords" like that.
    Josh

more photos of swords

Hello Josh,
    I've taken more photos,as you asked.The large sword has the dragons chasing the pearl on the pommel .The five clawed dragon on the blade as well as inscription on the opposite side The gold gilding on the sheath is worn significantly on one side not so much on the other.The short sword has traces of red enamel on dragon and on the brass on the sheath,the tip is sharper than the long sword and has some pitting..The end of the pommel has pen that is flush,the long sword has a protruding pen.These were purchased at estate sales in a rural area near a large air force base.I was only told they were swords.I feel like they're pretty old,I was once approached by someone who suggested that the short sword might be dynasty era and offered to take it to a museum curator,I wasn't comfortable with that as he wanted me to give the sword to him and didn't offer info on the location of the museum.
    Thanks ,
    Debra

more photos

More photos

photo of swords

notice the wear on the sides of the sword guard in prior photos the dragons on the sides where it would be held show much wear as if handled significantly.

more photos of swords

sword sheath

swords

more pics

swords

attempt to photo inside the dragons

swords

pommel ends and interior of dragon heads

The short one looks like late Qing work, but the longer one looks later. I do not think threaded tangs can be found on jian prior to WWII.
    Josh

dynasty era sworda

Thanks,
    I don,t know anything about swords, but have researched on the internet.I think your right about the short sword ,it was wrapped with some type of cloth on the handle and the sheath was wrapped also had been painted silver or faded blue not sure,but with my inexperience,I removed the wrap,I was told by some even more unknowledgeable than me thought it was duct tape. Ha Ha,I feel sick that I might have destroyed something historical on any
    Thanks,
    Debra

Many swords seem to have been painted silver about 50-60 years ago, perhaps to hide them, perhaps to make them pretty. You are lucky that yours was wrapped first. I have seen several where the paint damaged nice blades. I would not worry that you removed it. It was a "restoration"
    Josh

Most basic answer I'm surprised you haven't recieved is that these are Chinese style "jian" cut-n-thrust swords.
    Complication is the Chinese are in all countries and have been for a long time, and are muchly imitated. The Japanese ken temple sword is generally considered an imitation jian, for instance.
    Is that a threaded pommel nut? Can you see steel/iron at its tip?
    Interesting sun-wheel (swastika) is that inlay into chiselled grooves or is it overlay beaten onto a file-roughened ground?