Thread: How to check or test a "1060 folded carbon steel katana"

Thumbs up How to check or test a "1060 folded carbon steel katana"

Dear Masters, Regards.

Within one week i am going to receive a handmade traditional folded steel samurai sword. Here are the Details.

Specifications: Overall Length (with Saya): 105CM
    Blade Length: 73CM
    Handmade katana Features: Blade:fully hand forged ;
    folded steel; 1060
    Scabbard(Saya): lacquered ironwood ;
    Tsuba: zinc alloy ; Hardness is HRC 55-58 ; heat tempered ; full blade sharp

All above specifications are sent to me by the manufacturer , since I am a fresher in katana world I want know that how I can test or check a katana sword for the said specifications. I requset all the masters of this forum that Please help me to learn more and more about this subject.
    As soon as I receive my katana I will post the complete unpacking pictures or vids of my katana.
    Regards
    Thanks
    A.Iman

AFAIK there is not any good way to test the blade without sending it out and having it "Rockwell" harness tested or using special files of differing hardness on it. both tests will leave marks on it. The Rockwell test presses a cone into it and measure the depth of the dent that is left. The file test, well you find out which fill is softer than the steel. Not good for the sword that you paid money for. They are mostly used by manufactures to check random ones.

Having said all that...to me the zinc alloy tsuba and ironwood saya indicate a low quality "katana" (sword like object ). Without having seen it, I would be hesitant to do anything other than hang it on the wall.

Sorry
    Dave P
    YEA, no longer unemployed....I have transitioned my 15 years of Architecture & Engineering experience into a new Project Manager position in Atlanta, GA

Various forges have reputations for honesty and quality while others do not. What brand is your katana?

"traditional "

This word should be reserved for Tamahagane, Traditionally stone polished Blades.
    Most production katanas are not hammered the same way either. They are drawn to length with a mechanical hammer. This also is nontraditional.

I think the term..

...'Master's' is over doing it a bit.Most folks here are just people that have a little more knowledge and experiance,some by learning the hard way.
    The 'hard way' is best described as the people that buy first and then do research.As I once did.
    That being said welcome to SFI.
    First question is: What company did you buy from?
    Second Question: How much did you pay for your new sword?