Thread: Saya refinishing anyone?

Saya refinishing anyone?

Hello,

I just purchased and am awaiting receipt of a remounted Bugei Dragonfly from Jerry G. in the classifieds of this forum. (It is still listed if you want to see pics)

Iam in love with the look of this sword, especially the full same' wrap and ito, however Iam not nuts about the same' wrap, and lacquered bands added on the saya.

I contacted Bugei, and of course, they do not offer replacement saya for their swords, and recommended Fred Lohman.

Iam going to wait to make a decision to have it refinished until I recieve it, because who knows, I might get it and find that I really like it (wouldn't be the first time). However in the meantime I was wondering if anyone on this forum can recommend someone to remove the same' and bands, and refinish the saya in an ishime finish for me if I do decide to go ahead with it, perhaps someone who will not need to keep my sword for a period of several months?

Thanks to all for your assistance.

I would suggest keeping the saya band,as it strengthens the area behind the koiguchi(carps mouth).
    Also if it was done correctly then wood should have been removed in that area of the saya to inlet the same' so that once polished it would remain flush with the rest of the exterior.
    As for changing the color of the rest of the saya,no problem.PM me if you wish to talk further.
    -tom

Quote Originally Posted by tom geusz View Post
    I would suggest keeping the saya band,as it strengthens the area behind the koiguchi(carps mouth).
    Also if it was done correctly then wood should have been removed in that area of the saya to inlet the same' so that once polished it would remain flush with the rest of the exterior.
    As for changing the color of the rest of the saya,no problem.PM me if you wish to talk further.
    -tom
    No wood was removed, the same and bands were added over the lacquer of the saya instead of removing wood to make the same flush with the surface. I have attached a pic. If could remove this and refinish it in another color, let me know!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

That's a fantastic deal you got there on a really nice blade. Personally, I think the saya looks really nice. I would also leave the tsuka alone. Paul Loatman (I think) did a good job wrapping it in a relatively rare style with very nice leather ito. Moreover, I can almost guarantee that removing the rayskin at this point will basically destroy the tsuka.

My advice: instead of "fixing" what isn't broken... by actually breaking it... you will save both time and money by simply getting a new tsuka made for it. Fred Lohman provides a good service for reasonable price. Get some new fittings (F/K) while you're at it and you'll be glad.
    "It is my feeling that to make a good sword, one must make a weapon first, and art second. But if it is really "right", it is both things at once, and in equal measure." -- Howard Clark

"I cannot compensate for improper use of a sword. Nothing is bullet proof and idiots prove on a regular basis that nothing is idiot-proof -- they're just too creative." -- Keith Larman

Oops... I just realized you meant fixing just the saya... Nevermind then about leaving the tsuka alone.

But I still think the saya looks really nice and solid.
    "It is my feeling that to make a good sword, one must make a weapon first, and art second. But if it is really "right", it is both things at once, and in equal measure." -- Howard Clark

"I cannot compensate for improper use of a sword. Nothing is bullet proof and idiots prove on a regular basis that nothing is idiot-proof -- they're just too creative." -- Keith Larman

No, I love the tsuka, and was one of the deciding factors of this purchase. I did verfiy with Jerry that the tsuka was indeed done by Paul Loatman, as I had seen this exact tsuka on Loatman's site previously.

He stated that this sword has not been used, and has only been displayed and maintained, and I can only hope he is honest, and if so, then yes I agree I got a fantastic deal.

About the saya, like I said, I may decide to leave it alone. It wouldn't be the first time I made a purchase, and got all of these ideas in my head about customization before even receiving it. I have only seen pictures of it at this point, and I may decide I really like the saya when I actually receive it. But its nice to know the avenue I would need to take, or whom I can contact to have this work done if I choose to.

PM sent.

almost same thing

I was up late the other night and decide to order a sword from dogspirit, a company name for a site that begins with an "E".just curious,has anyone besides me taken a chance with this outlet? Also, the saya is white and it doesn't look good to me,if I ever see it.As I have not yet recieved the sword.

Quote Originally Posted by DW Foss View Post
    I was up late the other night and decide to order a sword from dogspirit, a company name for a site that begins with an "E".just curious,has anyone besides me taken a chance with this outlet? Also, the saya is white and it doesn't look good to me,if I ever see it.As I have not yet recieved the sword.
    can you post the site's web page?

New wak

One of many ebay sellers,dogspirit had a cool name.Not a good reason to buy a sword,but I wanted a double pegged 1060 wakizashi.I'm going to need to practice my sharpening on something, and I like my munetoshi too much to start on it. I may be a little techno challenged,so tell me what you need to do in order to post thier webpage.Although if you go to ebay and used advanced search,all you need is the name.

Recieved Wak

I just got the wak from dogspirit,the fittings were the ones I requested,and the saya is black so I wont be sending for a custom job as that would probably cost more than the sword is worth.Very light,super cheapo fittings but the steel seems good.Decent hamon,properly oiled,and sharp,sharp. will be test cutting with it this weekend unless the weather strokes me out first! Hey,this is Texas,looking at about 110 in the shade. What we do for our hobbies,right!