Thread: Sharing latest daggers

Sharing latest daggers

hello all,

these are the latest daggers i got.

i am abit at doubt on the middle one, even though i like the decoration on the scabbard, it looks new.. i like it though.

any opinions on the 3 would be appreciated.

A.alnakkas

more pictures

can anyone tell me if this is a late production or not? and the material of the hilt and scabbard if possible.

thanks

The hilt is horn. Perhaps you want to know if it's rhino horn, but I don't know. It has become apparent to me over the years that either a great deal of cattle horn is misidentified as rhino (likely given the prestige) or the difference between rhino and other horn is not as dramatic as commonly promoted (not as dramatic as with pronghorn "antelope" horns which are visibly and coarsely made of hair in a manner distinct from other horn and similar to what is often described of rhino horn but that I don't see in it, though all horn is fibrous, of course). At least some rhino horn is red. I suspect cattle horn. Just a suggestion, but might the dagger be older than the sheath?

hello tom,

thanks for the input, i have been alerted that the scabbard might be recent, also told that the scabbard could be indian. that is rather possible as many items have been rehilted/sheathed in india and syria. most of the indian examples i have seen share similarity with the scabbard, so its possible.

the dagger looks similar to a jambiya but its smaller, anyone know the origin of such dagger?

A.alnakkas

I guess you are picturing the 60cm sword jambiya, but in USA at least these daggers are called jambiya, too. What is the size we're looking at?
    The sheath does appear to me to be of Hindoo manufacture.
    Nice looking daggers. Love me a nice pesh-kabz.

Hello Abdullatif,

The two khanjars at the top look a bit mixed. The first one is a bit of a mistery; it looks like a Kurdish khanjar but the blade is unorthodox. The two fullers are not common on khanjars and a sign of newer work I think. Can you post a close-up of the stamped mark?

The second blade is more traditional with the strong mid-rib but its fittings and scabbard are off IMO. The scabbard looks like recent Indian work, while the cow or buffalo horn handle looks like a replacement.
    I have indeed heard the arms markets in Syria mix and match old and new parts a lot. In Kuwait are these daggers referred to as jambiya or khanjar?

The third dagger is a nice Persian (or broader Central Asian) pesh-kabz or karud with what looks like ivory hilt. Nicest of the group I think.

Regards,
    Emanuel
    Always check your assumptions...there are no contradictions.
    Get some real news...
    www.informationclearinghouse.info
    www.counterpunch.org
    http://globalresearch.ca

Tom, i think by "sword jambiya" you mean the ones commonly known to westerners as Wahabite jambiya?. well, i was comparing this one to the normal jambiya size, similar to the ones carried by yemeni men.

about the pesh kabz, its really nice, needs some cleaning though. also found another one which am planning to get soon. thanks for the input!

Emanuel, thanks for your opinion. here is a close up on the mark;

syrians do seem to use new material on old items often, i've seen a syrian saif with a scabbard decoration very similar to the dagger with indian sheath. maybe its their way to get more item sold to newbie's like myself.

also, in kuwait we use both words for daggers. we even use Quadara and Qama (though Qama is also the name of the swords/daggers that shia's use in Karbala rituals) Quadara pronounced in arabic is similar to Qaddara, which means betrayer. i've also seen yemeni men call jambiya's "khenyar" which is khanjar in yemeni accent. mainly the saudi's and bedouins i seen call the yemeni and hijazi daggers, jambiya's. a bedouin friend of mine named the marsh arab dagger i own a shalfa, also a name commonly used by northern bedouins for dagger.

Abdullatif