Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: " identify this sword " - " sword info needed"

Quote Originally Posted by David Critchley View Post
    Having spent the day constantly being outbid on several fine swords by the same *$%^%*&**& dealer I can reliably state that a the annoyance of a few damn fool questions once in a while pails into insignificance.

David
    You just don't want them enough, David.

Look at it this way, you have lowered his profit margin, however they must be worth at least double or more or the dealer would stop bidding.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Easton View Post
    Bad luck, was that Wallis & Wallis?
    Yes Matt,
    There was a very nice 1796 LC with the Osborn and Gunby clipped blade - didn't see who got that I dropped out around £1700 - Would have had to sell too much to afford it especially with the extra 20%. It eventually went for £2000.

But there were a couple of other more ordinary pieces that went quite highly.
    A 1796 Inf without it's wiring marked to the Volunteer Artillery and a 1796 LC with a very short wide blade which was probably naval. Frankly I think dealers are stocking up, they probably wouldn't sell for more now, but they probably will in a couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by David Critchley View Post
    Yes Matt,
    There was a very nice 1796 LC with the Osborn and Gunby clipped blade - didn't see who got that I dropped out around £1700 - Would have had to sell too much to afford it especially with the extra 20%. It eventually went for £2000.

But there were a couple of other more ordinary pieces that went quite highly.
    A 1796 Inf without it's wiring marked to the Volunteer Artillery and a 1796 LC with a very short wide blade which was probably naval. Frankly I think dealers are stocking up, they probably wouldn't sell for more now, but they probably will in a couple of years.
    Great news if you're not buying!

When I decided on a specific collecting field, I had other swords that fell out of it to sell, but where I am in Canada there is not the market for swords. If you sell at a great deal price, someone will pick it up maybe, just not the collectors out there.

What is it poster

Going back and looking at my first post here I must admit I was less than gracious but I'm certainly grateful for those who answered! One thing to consider is that for you guys you've read and answered these questions many many times. But for those of us just starting it is likely only the first or second time, it's all still shiny and new and we just got our brand new one of king imperial snake smasher or get 3 and the postage is free!

A second, and for me the driving reason for keeping our posts short is intimidation. I tend to be succinct because I feel it would be presumptious to say what I think I've found out so far to people who've been studying it for decades. Short answer a lot of us are afraid of looking dumb.

Having said all that, THANK YOU! Woot! This stuff is great! *grin*

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Bone View Post

Having said all that, THANK YOU! Woot! This stuff is great! *grin*
    Steve.....There are smilies you can use ...like or ..............
    Niall Dignan

About 30 years ago, I was active in police combat shooting, and one of the directors of the Shooting Federation.
    I was convinced that we needed constantly "new blood" to keep the sport thriving and opened the membership to civilians.
    I once was at a gunshop and the clerk sold a S&W, 4* inches barrel with fixed sights to a young guy who asked for advice wanting to start combat shooting.
    When the customer left, I told the clerk he was very short sighted, did not give proper advice and considered only immediate profit. As soon as his customer will have a look at the weapons on the firing line, he will sell his piece half price and will retire disgusted.
    The industry and the sport had then lost one adept.
    All this lengthy digression to illustrate the fact that, if only one " grand-father asker" becomes a new addict, I'll be very glad.
    Also, at the beginning of his career, a newcomer on the learning curve has not and don't know what books to buy ($$$$).

re

Hi Dan,

Ofcourse you're right, if among all those quick questions is one true passionate asker who because of a right answer becomes a vallue member it's very good. I enjoy that. And iam sure that many more than one came this way, very fine! Infact their are no stupid questions, only i think HOW they are asked, that was the basic of my statement, ofcourse as suggested one can ignore them, what I and many of us does doing sometimes. But one can also "educate" them by telling them this forum is a polight instrument, protected it's level and quality by it's members.. As about books, I do not follow statements as, books are to expensive, or internet is mutch more easy. To go back at my first statement. any serious starter or expierienced collector can;t do nothing without good sources and books are indispensable....first from a library and later not to miss to have some yourself to start a collection or read the background info of a weapon in it's history.

Last thing Dan, thanks for your nice words, this honneur works both sides
    Glad helping you and i appricate our contact too, as i like to do with any serious collector who ask me something or like to discuss in the period iam active..I like to learn aswell

Good afternoon Marc,
    Nice to read you; politeness and "savoir vivre" are a rule on this forum. I have seen epic disagreements always discussed in the most gentlemanly manner....after all, everybody has the right to have his stupid opinion....
    Cheers.
    Dan

Just my $0.02... I found this forum recently as I was searching for information on my deceased fathers swords. I was so very grateful for the information I received so quickly. Newcomers often have no idea where to start manually researching. Forums like these actually spark interest for new collectors and, I think, help to teach and nurture those interests. I'm sure there are those that take "free" information for granted - but not everyone and certainly not me. Building the knowledge of the experts in this forum has taken them years. I would hope that most civilized people would get that.

Anyway from this newbie.... your help is sincerely appreciated.

re

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for you answer. that is in my opinion the right way to do, you love to get a answer, we love to give it, if it is asked at the right way

All the best Marc

Hmm..... Honestly, sorry to say this, but "Translation Needed" Was one of the big factors that led me here. I'd had a Nihonto for a while and couldn't get anyone to translate it for me. So I came here trying to find someone, to find out it was just a nice reproduction. At first it made me angry, but then it made me resolved to get a real Nihonto. Since then my knowledge has increased tenfold just from the comments people have made from my questions. Plus I'm stuck over here in the good old U. S. of A, and there aren't many people in my state that share a interest in Swords, so I find it nice being able to talk to people who share a interest with me. And I don't know about you guys, but I think a lot of us pretty much started at that "Help needed"(I'm still there) stage. So after everyone was kind enough to help me, I resolved to learn more about these ancient weapons.
    The good Owen Arthur said: “Often, we are too slow to recognize how much and in what ways we can assist each other through sharing such expertise and knowledge.”
    So I do not mind sharing my knowledge if it assist anyone who happens to read it. Perhaps from there someone else will pick up my knowledge, and use it, for a better purpose perhaps, or just to know from curiosity. Sorry for the lengthy post, but I enjoy knowledge, and sharing knowledge. So even if you share some knowledge and help with someone who doesn't care, there may be someone else out there who see's it and appreciates it, like me. If this doesn't make sense sorry, I'm not great with words . Thanks for all the help you guys have given me though, and I wish to learn much more in the future.
    “I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend”

-J.R.R. Tolkien

Good afternoon Tyler,
    Every question on this forum gets an answer. Like Marc said, it does not hurt to ask politely. We found too often questions about an item on E-bay, or even worse, a picture of an item on display in a dealer site, with the label " My grand-father....." " Found in an attic...." etc....
    This forum has rules, some written, others not, which must be observed.
    I quit before I get too much off-track....must be the heavy rain outside.
    Cheers.

I haven't been here long, but I've yet to run into a rude person . Also it seems to me that "My Grand-Father" or "Found in attic" is more of a Marketing strategy, the only reason why I can think the people would do this is along the fact that there scared that if they didn't own the sword, then you wouldn't help them. Then if you helped them and it turn's out the swords worth something, then they can say they have it a.k.a go buy it without us knowing . At least that's what I would do Forgive me though, I didn't mean to offend anyone or create any arguments, I sometimes forget that not everyone's as nice as most on this forum. Thanks for the info though, I'll try to better myself from it.
    “I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend”

-J.R.R. Tolkien

Hi Tyler,
    Don't misunderstand me, you are perfectly correct. What I mean by "grand-father..." is that nobody can commit himself on an appraisal, also against the rules, based on often times not so clear pictures.
    You will find that the forumites have each his own field of expertise; do not hesitate to PM personnally. In that case, you will discuss at length condition or value, always keeping in mind the answer will be an honest opinion that shall not, in any case, engage the responsability of your correspondent.
    By the way, welcome in the forum....a bunch of jolly good fellows.

Alright, Thanks for clarifying that. I'm glad to be aboard the forum, sorry for now properly introducing myself. I'll get right on that, I think I saw a thread around here somewhere for that...

-J.R.R. Tolkien

I guess what bugs me most is offering information that apparently goes unnoticed and then requested again (even in threads with information already written and posted).

By some miracle, we are expected to be handling and inspecting another's sword without actually having the item in hand and quite honestly while having little more to offer than what has already been shared.

The market easily offers what a sword might fetch and those that might linger at a higher price.

Keep in mind that for real money, there are internet appraisers that will ID and price or assign value for a fee. Those would be the real experts, such as Dick Bezdek. Look him up, his site is just a search away. Other dealers offer ID services as well and if one actually thumbs through listings (while reading the content), there are often still more questions than proofs of provenance and origin.

Cheers

Hotspur; if I ordered a cheeseburger at the fast food drive through, I might just expect to receive a cheeseburger at the window. It is a shame when the special sauce is disregarded and taken for granted or simply overlooked

Welcome, Tyler.

We really are a good bunch.

Don't be afraid to do what research you can on the net--and then bring your questions here with what you have ascertained as well--that's a good way to get the ball rolling--and quite fun.

Also, as mentioned, feel free to send a personal message to anyone--then that's between you and the recipient of the message.

None of us knows it all. I am not so much interested in market value--if there is such a thing--rather I am interested in the sword and its associations. I find myself sending personal messages with no shame. Members are generally willing and eager to share.

Good sword hunting!
    Tom Donoho

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12