Thread: WTB O-Katana

WTB O-Katana

Once again I've come to a loss of knowledge for swords. My sword collection is ever growing and I noticed I'm missing something. I'm more of a fan of O-Katana's then anything else, yet I realized I do not have a authentic one. All the ones I have are modern crafted. Not sure if there are really many out there, but if someone has one, or knows someone who has one. Please shoot a message my way. I don't mind if it's not in "great" condition, or made by a "great" swordsmith. I prefer them between the length of 45" and 52(that way it'll go with the rest I have). If you have anything, please let me know. Thanks.

Sounds like you're looking for more of an Odachi than an Okatana. Okatana max out around 34 to 36 inches usually.

Les Yeich had an Odachi made by John Lundemo of Odinblades for sale periodically. Maybe he still has it.
    Every time I put on a suit for a wedding or other event, I feel like I'm wearing optimal clothing for an epic fight scene...

Ronin Outpost

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Begley View Post
    I'm more of a fan of O-Katana's then anything else, yet I realized I do not have a authentic one. All the ones I have are modern crafted.
    This part strikes me as interesting. ...Are you looking for an antique?
    I'm totally super cereal!

Yes, I'm looking for a antique. I'm saying O-katana because I don't think Odachi is quiet right. I want the overall length to be from 45" to 52". While the blade is more of the size from 32-39". Usually The Odachi's I see have longer handles then what I prefer. I'd like the sword to be almost proportionate to a standard katana in blade to handle ratio(usually it's around 26% of overall is handle, I think....) But yes, a longer Katana is the point. If you happen to see one then please let me know. With my luck though, there probably all gone
    Thanks in advance for the help

There's a large tachi for on the market right now that has a 37" nagasa for $22k, but it's in shirasaya.

I seriously think it would be better to look for Les' Odinfrog piece, like Aaron said, or maybe buy the Kensei or Hanwei pieces.

All the talk about tsuka preferences make it sound like you want to use it. If you do, definitely go for a modern piece.
    I'm totally super cereal!

No, I don't want to use it. It's just on my sword rack, one of my swords is 50" and the other is 54", so I'm trying to keep it in that range so it doesn't look goofy next to them. And I'll check that Shirasaya out, thanks. Any others out there, please let me know. Thanks again

I've found one by Ishido Unjusai Korekazu and fairly high ranked Swordsmith during the Shinshinto perios. 33" blade, not sure if that's the whole thing though, I'm looking into it. The price is a bit steep, almost 22K. Does anyone know or have anything by this smith. Thanks in advance if you can help.
    “I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend”

-J.R.R. Tolkien

Well, pics would help. I wouldn't hesitate posting a link, at 22k I don't think anyone else will jump on it.

If you have even half that to spend, I'm sure you could get a modern made Shinsakuto, fully mounted.
    Every time I put on a suit for a wedding or other event, I feel like I'm wearing optimal clothing for an epic fight scene...

Ronin Outpost

Sorry can't get the photos to save, so here's a link to the photos.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-GENUINE-...item5193788798

I'm not to big a fan of Shirasaya, but I do understand why there necessary, so I don't mind getting a antique in them. My main problem is I just can't find much info on the smith. Thanks for the input though.
    Last edited by Tyler Begley; 10-14-2010 at 02:54 PM.
    “I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend”

-J.R.R. Tolkien

Check this Nodachi out. Just scroll down until you see the Nodachi with the red saya. It's a big ken!!! Frederick Coluzzi is a seasoned veteran of the antique sword market. I got ALL of my Japanese swords from Frederick, back in the day.

http://www.fredericksantiqueswords.c...of_catalog.htm
    "A wise person aspires the study of swordsmanship. A lucky person finds a worthy teacher, an unlucky person finds yet another student... in the guise of a genuine Master. Sadly, a fool cannot tell the difference either way." Anecdotes of The Unknown Swordsman

Thanks for that point out Jon, I'm looking into it right now. Kinda iffy by those pictures, but we'll see. Thanks for pointing it out, if anyone see's anymore let me know please. Thanks

-J.R.R. Tolkien

Okay, everyone. I'm looking at one that I'm really liking. But honestly I'm not really able to place a time period to it. I'd say Pre-1800, but later than 1700. Mr. Coluzzi is selling it as a No Dachi. I'm liking it, it has a few damaged spots in it, that I'm looking into to see if they would be repairable without subtracting from the value of the sword. I may just leave them there though, I like a sword that looks old(otherwise what's the point of having a 'old' sword). The Mei
    says something, I'm not to sure, but I think it says Sada Mune. Which I can't find anything on, except for Masamune's adopted son. Which I don't think he signed his swords, and even if he did, I think he was like in the 1400's. So kinda iffy about. If anyone could translate the Mei for me, I'd greatly appreciate it, if it says anything. But other than that, What's everyone's personal opinion. Do you think the sword is Legit. Nothing like paying a crap load for a sword you think is old, and turns out it's fairly new. I'd like everyone's opinion. Thanks and please let me know what you all think.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

-J.R.R. Tolkien

Some more pictures

-J.R.R. Tolkien

And yet more pictures.

-J.R.R. Tolkien

Thumbs up Frederick is above reproach.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Begley View Post
    Do you think the sword is Legit? Nothing like paying a crap load for a sword you think is old, and turns out it's fairly new. I'd like everyone's opinion. Thanks and please let me know what you all think.
    Hey Tyler,

I've known Frederick since 1992 and can stake my reputation on his honesty and experience. I also count him as a friend, although we have never met in person. While over the years I have had a few discussions with learned Japanese sword aficionados about the depth of Fred's expertise (some praising him, some challenging him), I have NEVER heard a bad word about his character or the integrity of his business practices. In other words, absolutely no BS from the man. As I said before, I have purchased every single one of my antique Japanese blades from him (all 19), as well as many, many, many other exceptional antique swords & daggers. There will never be another Frederick's Swords, that's for sure! Man, nobody ever had as many high quality swords, from so many diverse cultural origins (the good old days).

This Nodachi was first brought to my attention over ten years ago and I was very impressed with it's gigantic proportions. Had it not been for the recession and the economic troubles it has rendered unto the independent artisans of this country (I'm a jeweler), it would have been mine by now!!! I believe it has been in Fred's personal collection for a few decades? 15 thousand bucks is a lot of money, mind you, but given how rare antique Nodachi are... it's a bargain (again, given the scarcity). I also concur with Fred's assessment of an age of approximately 250-300 years. A lot of tachi and some nodachi were being forged in the 18th century. I believe there was a revival of sorts and the more antiquated, warring states period ken were being reproduced, once again. Sure, the warring period had subsided; not likely to have been used in battle, still, this is an authentic Tokugawa era sword. No doubt about that.

If you do follow through with the purchase, the cost of having it re polished and all the accompanying shipping & insurance fees... will be another large chunk of change. So, sometimes it's prudent to live with the minor imperfections time has left it with. Like you said, we do want our antiques to look OLD. As I recall, the lacquer has been redone by an expert in the field. What a beast of a ken!

Arrivederci, Jon
    Last edited by jonpalombi; 10-20-2010 at 07:36 PM.
    "A wise person aspires the study of swordsmanship. A lucky person finds a worthy teacher, an unlucky person finds yet another student... in the guise of a genuine Master. Sadly, a fool cannot tell the difference either way." Anecdotes of The Unknown Swordsman

Thanks for your input Mr. Palombi. I'm greatly liking this Nodachi. As a matter of fact. I may just take a trip to go see Mr. Fredrick about this sword. He's not terrible far away, and he said He's a sucker for Cold Hard Cash, so I'm sure I can talk him down a bit. His price is very reasonable though, and the fact that it's a Nodachi, and there weren't many of those made Makes me want it. There are a few damaged spots though, a broken Kissaki tip. Gunk on the handles, and none of the fittings are original, but there still old. He estimated around 1850's. I'm really thinking this one over. It's a lot of money, but man it's a really nice sword. Any one else feel like throwing in there opinion. I'm bordering on this one. I'm leaning towards it, but getting that money together in Cash could take awhile. Thanks for the opinion Jon, and the Help.

-J.R.R. Tolkien