Thread: Royal Navy Sword circa 1790

Royal Navy Sword circa 1790

Royal Navy officer's type sword circa 1790-1800.
    Blade is pitted, but the hilt is very good, lots of gilt left and all the ivory.
    These are not common swords now days
    Happy to sell for £100 +p&p

UK only please
    Last edited by David Critchley; 11-13-2010 at 08:01 AM.

Dang, you are giving some good prices on these items!
    Tom Donoho

hello

do u still have it ??? its nice

Any markings? Will you ship to Canada?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin A. B. View Post
    Any markings? Will you ship to Canada?
    Sorry the ivory prevents me doing this

Very Nice!

Those ivory grips are special.
    "...and he who has no sword let him sell his garment and get one"

Luke 22:36

Blessings
    Woody

Quote Originally Posted by David Critchley View Post
    Sorry the ivory prevents me doing this

Does that also exlclude the US?

Yes Randy that includes the US -which I am reliably informed is no longer British - shocking as that is.

The reason is that a CITES licence to prove the ivory is antique would cost more than the sword is worth. If you try to import or export ivory without one it is a criminal offence. Importing /exporting ivory without the necessary permits in the UK can carry a jail term of up to 7 years and unlimited fines.

As a result I am not prepared to sell to anyone living outside UK national boundaries.

So if anyone else is in doubt, imagine yourself walking to England - if it involves getting your feet wet you are, I'm afraid, out of luck.

I will probably put the sword through an auction house in the spring if you want to buy it from abroad - but if successful the auction house will require you to arrange for a CITES report drawn up by a recognised authority on ivory before they ship.

David
    Last edited by David Critchley; 12-16-2010 at 06:20 AM.

I'm amazed someone hasn't snapped this up.. seems like a real bargain to me! (just outside the parameters of my collection)

Quote Originally Posted by David Critchley View Post
    Yes Randy that includes the US -which I am reliably informed is no longer British - shocking as that is.

The reason is that a CITES licence to prove the ivory is antique would cost more than the sword is worth. If you try to import or export ivory without one it is a criminal offence. Importing /exporting ivory without the necessary permits in the UK can carry a jail term of up to 7 years and unlimited fines.

As a result I am not prepared to sell to anyone living outside UK national boundaries.

So if anyone else is in doubt, imagine yourself walking to England - if it involves getting your feet wet you are, I'm afraid, out of luck.

I will probably put the sword through an auction house in the spring if you want to buy it from abroad - but if successful the auction house will require you to arrange for a CITES report drawn up by a recognised authority on ivory before they ship.

David
    David,

Thanks for the English Law lesson, I didn't realize it was an export law, I thought it may have been an import law for Canada ... live and learn

And I agree, it amazes me this is still available at that price ...
    Randy

For Canada, Ivory falls under www.cites.ca for Environment Canada.
    In Canada call: 1-800-668-6767 or email enviroinfo@ec.gc.ca

still available? im within the uk

pm sent

on hold

A CITES licence will cost you £80 now. Any reputable auction house will do the paperwork and get it for you. Also it is not required within the European Union - one of the few advantages of being in the E.U !

Chris