Thread: Big changes at the Order of the Seven Hearts

Big changes at the Order of the Seven Hearts

Hello ~

It's been an exciting--well, almost seven years, since I founded the Order of the Seven Hearts, a swordsmanship school, study group and resource center named after the Knightly Order of which Salvator Fabris (my first love in swordsmanship and "spiritual father" of sorts) was supreme knight.

The school, based in my home in Alexandria, VA, has been theater of many years and thousands of hours of intense training--rapier, baroque sword, Bolognese swordsmanship, Classical Neapolitan epee and more. All of this, I tried to offer at the highest possible level, and I was rewarded with many teaching invitations as far as Australia, Canada, Europe, and (of course) many places and schools in the USA.

I have been particularly lucky to have had Steven Reich as student and provost, and later as a partner who kept me on my toes and who, recently and much deservedly, became known for his own research, particularly in the Bolognese style.

Well, as we all know, all good things must come to an end.

Within the last year or so, Steve has opened his own school and launched his own Web site, the NoVa Assalto, which is dedicated primarily but not exclusively to Bolognese swordsmanship.

On my part, I have now been hired as an instructor at the Virginia Academy of Fencing, where I am teaching the historical program alongside Bill Grandy (a well known name to SFI aficionados), plus a number of other great coaches such as Pamela Muir, Kelly Wynn, David Rowe and others. Also, I still retain a small number of private students--besides, of course, my duties as a principal at Freelance Academy Press alongside my good friends Greg Mele, Christian Tobler and Adam Velez.

For the next couple weeks, you will see Steve's site still featuring the Order of the Seven Hearts' (salvatorfabris.com) domain name, which has been necessary in the interim for him to relocate the many resources he had developed while under the Order's umbrella. From mid-December forward, he will be ready to fully stand on his own two feet as the head of his school, and with resources fully of his own.

As for the Order of the Seven Hearts, there are some exciting developments in the making. There's no way that something named after "my" Fabris will be allowed to wither!

For the time being, it will remain an article-intensive resource on Italian swordsmanship, with contributions by well-known names in the community such as Maestro Sean Hayes, Chris Holzman, Greg Mele and, of course, all the articles I've written and posted to date. The number of articles and resources will steadily increase, and I hope that the Order will remain a valuable resource for those of you in the community who have visited it regularly.

The Order's forum will of course remain, and be expanded to include armored combat (my new passion) as well as a much deeper section on Italian and German longsword - as a complement to the great discussions that go on on other fora such as SFI, My Armoury and others.

Anyway, it's been an exhilarating seven years. Thanks to all of you who have been supporters and friends to me and to the Order of the Seven Hearts, and here's to many more years of research, friendship and common passion.

In the love of the sword,

Tom

Hi Tom,

I'm looking forward to seeing what's coming, and I'm glad to have contributed in the past, and I'm looking forward to doing so again in the future.

Thanks,
    Chris
    Christopher A. Holzman, Esq.
    Moniteur d' Armes
    "[T]he calm spirit is the only force that can defeat instinct, and render us masters of all our strengths" -Settimo Del Frate, 1876.

Author of The Art of the Dueling Sabre
    ViaHup.com - Wiki di Scherma Italiana

Dear Tom,

The Selohaar Fechtschule and OSH enjoy a strong connection, one I'm pleased to say has done nothing but strengthen over the years. I have every expectation of that continuing, no matter where Maestro Fabris' devotees take the Order into the future.

I'm pleased to hear this wonderful name will continue onward, and look forward to many more good things to come!

Your brother in arms,

Christian
    Christian Henry Tobler
    Selohaar Fechtschule

The Chivalric Fighting Arts Association

Freelance Academy Press: Books on Western Martial Arts and Historical Swordsmanship

Author, Captain of the Guild, DVD: The Poleaxe, In Saint George's Name

"Though I love the stout blow and the cunningly placed thrust, my greatest joy when crossing swords lies in those rare moments when Chivalry herself leans over and takes one into Her confidence."

Chris, Christian,

Thank you, guys. I really look forward to make the Order into an even better resource--incorporating more Classical material, as well as more medieval and non-Italian information. This will largely reflect the direction that my interests have taken in the last few years.

If someone had told me, a mere 3-4 years ago, that I'd be conversant in Fiore and in the Liechtenauer tradition, I would have looked astounded.

Tom

My best wishes to all involved. I am sure the new endeavors at Nova Assalto and VAF will bear their respective fruit, and I look forward to see what develops at OSH.

Best wishes,

Greg
    Greg Mele
    Chicago Swordplay Guild

Freelance Academy Press: Books on Western Martial Arts and Historical Swordsmanship

Chivalric Fighting Arts Association

"If the tongue could cut
    as the sword can do,
    the dead would be infinite."

Filippo Vadi, "Arte Dimicandi Gladiatoria" (c.1482 - 87)

6. I was sad to see the drill of the week disappear of the OSH website, but I look forward to the great things to come!

I'm looking forward to reading the new material. The current stuff has been a great help in my orientation to these arts.
    The worst thing about the Zombie Apocalypse is that I'm looking forward to cutting them down.

8. My congratulations to all - it's wonderful to see real growth and expansion in our arts! I also look forward to contributing to the new Armoured Combat forum at OSH - armoured combat being something of a passion with me, as well (Tom, you and I seem destined to "bookend" traditional Italian fencing, 19th to 15th centuries).

Best,

Sean
    Sean Hayes, Maestro d'armi
    Northwest Fencing Academy

San Jose Fencing Masters Program Examination Board

One should never confuse the rules of a competition with the rules of an art.

People talk a lot about speed, but not very much about control, safety, tactics, and trying to get close to the reality of sharps. When simulating sharp fights, how fast one charges in depends on how quickly one would like to die.

Sean -

Thanks for the support - I have just completed my first harness (early-16c), and I'm now working on my 15c and 14c suits. I see lots of armored play happening at the upcoming WMAW 2011 - make sure you bring your armor!

Tom

10. Quote Originally Posted by Tom Leoni View Post
    I see lots of armored play happening at the upcoming WMAW 2011 - make sure you bring your armor!
    Oh, I will - I think that the original Seven Swords of Fiore plan to hold the field in an invitational event!

Cheers,

Sean
    Sean Hayes, Maestro d'armi
    Northwest Fencing Academy

San Jose Fencing Masters Program Examination Board

One should never confuse the rules of a competition with the rules of an art.

People talk a lot about speed, but not very much about control, safety, tactics, and trying to get close to the reality of sharps. When simulating sharp fights, how fast one charges in depends on how quickly one would like to die.

Best wishes Tom, whatever direction the Art and Science takes you in!
    Bob Brooks
    Marshal of the School,
    Hotspur School of Defence

"There are four D's which I never refuse: A Dinner, a Duel, a Drink and a fair Dame!"
    - Sir Richard Francis Burton (1821-1890)

"I worship the Prince of Peace ... not the Prince of Pre-emptive War.
    - Former US President Jimmy Carter

"May I ask one more question?" said one of my friends. "I have often heard it said that if you don't know much about fencing the best thing to do is, as soon as you come on guard, to make a sudden rush at the other man before he has time to collect himself."
    "Well," I replied, "if you wish to make sure of being incurably spitted, that is the most infallible way to set about it."

- Baron Cesar de Bazancourt, Secrets of the Sword, The Tenth Evening XII.

I'll raise a glass to that
    "Please look in the encyclopedia and make a brief memorandum for me concerning the life of Correggio."
    Elbert Hubbard

Nakamura Ryu Batto Do, Order of Seven Hearts