Thread: FS: William IV P1822 Pipeback sword

FS: William IV P1822 Pipeback sword

A Pre-Victorian P1822 Infantry Officers sword with pipebacked blade.

The William IV cypher on the hilt dates to sword to between 1830-1837.

Blade
    Blade is 32 ¼” (or 82cm) and width at the hilt a shade over 7/8” (actually 29/32nds!) I suppose one might classify it as a ‘medium weight blade’ somewhere between a levee/piquet weight and a full sized fighting sword. (I have other P1822’s, one being 7/8” wide (definitely what one would consider strictly a levee/piquet sword) and another 1 1/8” wide...certainly a full-sized fighting sword. Maybe this was a dual purpose sword, one light enough to not be a hindrance at a Levee but…could be used in a pinch for self defence ! Anyway as the other two are both George IV's, this one is the 'odd man out' and has got its marching orders !

Blade has no markings (maker or etching) whether it had.. and it has been polished off I don’t know. Blade displays a patina of light 'salt & pepper' staining and the edge has been file sharpened at some stage in the past. There are a number of edge nicks especially around where the COP would be (this might indicate that the sword was used in earnest……possibly at a particularly rowdy Levee !... but we’ll never know!)

Hilt
    The brass hilt has only traces of gilt remaining. Folding guard is the only major issue with this sword. The folding spring mechanism has seized up and someone in the past has tried to force it, so that part of the steel pin has broken and a small section of the folding guard’s hinge is missing. This is not immediately obvious and the previous owner (a SFI member) thought that the mechanism was all there (you know who you are !). Anyway, the folding guard still folds to the open or folded position, but through no help from the spring !

Grip
    Well after the not so good news…. the good news is the fish/sharkskin grip is in pretty good shape for a sword 170 plus years old. The unknown wax like protective substance (which probably jammed up the folding guards spring) has protected the grip covering very well and all of the wire binding is also intact.

Scabbard
    Sadly the original leather & brass scabbard has fallen apart (as often the case with this era sword).

Plan A: 'Find an original scabbard'... Brass & leather ? I'll grow old waiting ...steel ? I did find one and bought it... but it didn't fit.. was strictly for the thinner levee blade...

Plan B: 'Make a scabbard' I initially crafted a plywood scabbard which fits this sword like a glove, however I neglected to consider that these swords scabbards didn’t come in wood, to be leather covered suitable for a frog and Sam Browne (I was only a mere 63 years out !)

...as I didn't have welding equipment for a steel scabbard.....

Plan C: I took the slightly more ‘correct’ step of cobbling together a leather scabbard with (albeit of more recent manufacture) brass fittings, and although the fittings are for later model swords, they are.. at least... fittings for British swords !

The scabbard has a glued seam (as my sewing skills are rusty) although this is on the inside and isn’t usually seen when displayed on a wall or worn. The sword is a very tight fit in the leather scabbard, but I didn’t want to use thinner leather as it would make the scabbard too ‘floppy’ (probably some leather dressing will make the sword slip in a bit easier).

So there you have it….. you can have a early P1822 to fill that gap in your collection and whilst the scabbard's brass decorations aren't quite ‘correct’… it does look rather good on the wall…. and only when 'learned friends' & SFI members visit to admire your collection will you have any grief about the scabbard fittings decorations !

Asking 240 GBP/278 Euros (or equivalent in $US, $A, Swiss Francs or Bahrain Dinars…..) + postage.

Direct Deposit into my bank account or if paying by paypal, please add 4% to cover fee's.

Please PM with any questions, or for more images (please include your email address!)

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And yes there’s more….!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

at no extra cost ….I will throw in a lovingly hand crafted plywood timber scabbard for you to do with how you see fit !
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    "Shoot straight you bastards and don't make a mess of it !"
    Lt. Harry 'Breaker' Morant, Bushveldt Carbineers, Australian soldier, poet & national hero, excecuted by firing squad, Boer War, 1902.

More pics.....

Oh.... and the leather washer isn't original !
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Lt. Harry 'Breaker' Morant, Bushveldt Carbineers, Australian soldier, poet & national hero, excecuted by firing squad, Boer War, 1902.

Price drop....

In the spirit of the 'Rebajas' (sales) which started today in Spain the P1822 Infantry Officers is reduced to 220 pounds(GBP) !!! (or equivalent in Spanish Doubloons !)

Last call price drop.......!!!!

Last call............then off to the ebyss!!!

only GBP 199 pounds or $320 USD or Australian (+post)...

for a William IV sword...
    Last edited by Peter Walker; 03-12-2011 at 05:04 AM.

Sold !