Thread: Help for read inscription and period.

Smile Help for read inscription and period.

Need help to read inscription and period of sword.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Hi,

What a beautiful Shamshir!
    The script is out of focus and makes it difficult to read!
    I think it is a prayer (in Arabic Language)
    starting from the name: الله Lord,God
    at the forth line, I could read: یا محمد Oh Mohammad!
    and the last line, it is written three times: یا علی Oh Ali!

Regards
    Rahil

Truly excellent shamshir! I believe the handle is remade. Looks like a highly decorated representation piece rather than a functional weapon so I guess it might be from late 19th to early 20th centuries, Pehlevi Dynasty perod.
    "The relationship between West(Occident) and East(Orient) is indeed an example of a relationship of power and domination. Orientalism is thus a style of thought based upon an ontological and epistemological distinction made between the Orient and the Occident. It is a Western style of dominating, restructuring and building hegemony over the Orient.İt is an accepted grid for filtering through the Orient into Western consciousness, into the general culture."
    From "Orientalism" by Edward Said

A nice sword. The blade is Indian. Blades like this representing hunting scenes were used for representation purposes but it does not mean that it is not functional. To read the inscriptions we definitelyy need better pictures.

Please note that textual evidence such as Jogriya-ye Esfahan and other Persian manuscripts clearly indicate that by the end of the Qajar period, crucible steel blades could not be made anymore. During early Pahlavi qame and qaddare were still made until the ban by Reza Shah.

A very nice swod
    Manouchehr

More images of swords.

Images.
    Attached Images Attached Images