Thread: Tozando Premium N-line iaito

Tozando Premium N-line iaito

Very interested in buying one and right now they have an 11 percent off discount till the 31st.

Anyone have any experience with this Tozando line?

Key benefits that appeal to me.

1. A few customizable options like saya finish, silk, hamon.

2. Option of regular blade or extra wide blade--same cost.

I'm very curious if the extra wide blade makes it feel more like a Nosyuiaido blade from the early 2000s.

Thanks for any input.

http://www.tozandoshop.com/Pro_N20_I...n26%5Bs%5D.htm
    Respectfully,

CL

Personally I prefer Nosyudo blades over Tozando, as they have a better, more real balance (at least the high end blades). However Tozando is still top-notch quality.

I'm not sure about the N-series but other blades (minosaka/practical) from Tozando I have helt seemed very light (around 800-850 grams, with 2.5 / 2.55 shaku).
    I guess the 'ultra wide' blade would add around 50 grams... which is still pretty light.

Balance wise, the Tozando blades are still very different from the Nosyudo blades, however, since they can't be bought in the US I guess you don't really have a lot of options.
    https://www.facebook.com/TheSamuraiWorkshop - Custom sword mounts, restoration, Kaneie shinken and a whole lot more about Japanese history and martial arts culture

...because spending hundreds of dollars on something that can cost you your life is worth spending more than thirty minutes of thought on.
    Originally Posted by Brian Pettett

You know, I didn't think of Nosyuiaido until now.

Back when I started iaido, their products were alittle out of budget for me but Tozando was easier on the limited funding.

I would be interested in seeing pictures or feedback on either the Tozando Pro series or any recent Nosyuiaido iaitos made.

Last time I saw one was back in 2004 and their blades were significantly larger and more robust than my Tozando.
    Respectfully,

CL

I was at the Nosyuiado facotory in November. Generally, they can have bigger blades but also the normal sized ones. It just depends on your taste.

They will be selling Internationally again soon.
    Bartender and Brewmeister for the Pub

Stranger in a Strange land

If people are interested, Nosyudo from Seki, Gifu Japan, NOT Nosyuiado which is Swordstore, is now available again for sale in the US. People interested in purchasing or ordering their iaito can contact me directly via PM.
    Brad

Quote Originally Posted by BradleyAnderson View Post
    If people are interested, Nosyudo from Seki, Gifu Japan, NOT Nosyuiado which is Swordstore, is now available again for sale in the US. People interested in purchasing or ordering their iaito can contact me directly via PM.
    Brad
    Bradley, where can I find a site or similar, for nosyudo?

I've sent you a PM, but their site only shows a few of their products and there is no online ordering. The site is www.nosyudo.jp.
    As I've mentioned, people interested in ordering can contact me directly.
    Brad

It's problematic to order if one doesn't know what's on offer.
    Kaitlyn Rasmussen
    (Mad) Scientist and Sword Fancier

Well I have been out of this for a long time but it is starting to come up again and I have some pretty strong feelings on the subject. Let me set the record strait on a few things here.

Yes, the contract that granted exclusive sales rights to Swordstore.com has expired and from a technical standpoint Nosyudo is free to sell through whomever they choose. BUT and this is a big BUT. The judgment against Nosyuiado/Nosyudo/Keiji Igarashii stands. So brush up on your law in regards to what that means were Nosyudo products are concerned.

Before everybody gets themselves in an uproar about about how unfair this judgment was and what terrible people they are over at swordstore AND how poor Mr. Igarashii was taken advantage of let me explain a few things. I have known the folks at Nosyudo longer than anybody on this board. I have considered Keiji Igarashii a close friend for 25 years. I consider Rick Polland at Swordstore a close friend. I sat ringside when the excrement made contact with that big sunbeam box fan. All differences past with Rick Polland aside I will state for the record that Nosyudo did willfully breach a contract it willingly signed with Swordstore. There was no mystery regarding the terms of the contract. It was professionally translated into Japanese and terms were negotiated by both parties so don't believe any stories about Nosyudo being tricked into signing a contract it didn't understand. Nosyudo management openly lied, made end around deals to maximize their profits while the people who did all the work to get them international recognition in the marketplace took losses. And when swordstore finally called them on it, Nosyudo refused to sell anymore product to Swordstore. Nosyudo, not Swordstore, is the bad guy in this saga. And the judge in the case brought against Nosyudo agreed. So please I do not want to hear how Nosyudo got shafted or taken advantage of.

The long and the short of it is that although the original contract has expired the judgment stands. Nosyudo makes good products, but they broke the law and willingly engaged in unfair business practices. I have not purchased a single item from them in nearly 10 years and as a matter of principal I won't be buying anything from them in the future either.

And before anybody asks. I am posting this here not out of love or loyalty to swordstore and Rick Polland. We have had no business dealings for nearly as long as the judgment has been in place. Hell we have only spoken once since I left Swordstore.

Mr. Anderson I apologize if you think I am attacking you. I am not. I don't know you and I don't have any reason to attack you. I DO know the whole story about Nosyudo and Sowrdstore and if you have been told differently than I have posted here, I am afraid you have been mislead.

Regards,
    Scott Irey,
    Just another "few peanuts short of a snickers bar" MJER guy

In all honesty I really don't care who is right or wrong in that matter. It is between the two parties and I am not interested in their past, present, or future disputes. I am just a consumer. And as a consumer, my only concern is good product for good price. I am looking to get iaito in the near future, a really good iaito that will last me sometime. I have read about Nosyudo and their great iaito in this forum as well as other forum. I would like to know more, especially about the customization options.

Quote Originally Posted by M. Phan View Post
    I am just a consumer. And as a consumer, my only concern is good product for good price. I am looking to get iaito in the near future, a really good iaito that will last me sometime. I have read about Nosyudo and their great iaito in this forum as well as other forum. I would like to know more, especially about the customization options.
    As a consumer you are probably here to become better informed. The fact of the matter is there is a point at which quality becomes moot and personal taste takes over. Most of the iaito dealers sell products of equal quality when you get to the top end. Swordstore is no different. They sell a top quality product. They also offer more choices for customization than any other iaito manufacturer I know of. I have been practicing iai and dealing in swords for 24 years. I have a lot of students and when it comes time to buy an iaito I don't tell them where to buy, I tell them where not to buy. Now again before I get too far into this let me state that my relationship with Swordstore ended years ago. It ended due to personal conflict between Rick and myself. Rick would or is probably quite surprised that I am here endorsing his business. I am giving my unbiased opinion as an iaido instructor. Swordstore makes as good a product as any and when my students want a highly customized iaito I tell them to go to Swordstore (I usually also tell them not to mention my name or they might get hit with an "Irey Tax" ) Now do not get me wrong, Nosyudo makes as good a product as any and is highly customizable and if it were not for the legal issues that now surround it I would happily endorse them as well. My personal issues with them are long past and I am a forgive and foget kind of person. BUT, the legal issues are still there. And there product is no better than any of the other high end iaito there. Why risk buying a product that although it is not contraband, could still end up getting confiscated before it gets into your hands? And if you order from them and it does get confiscated you can't say you were not informed of the possibility.
    Scott Irey,

Any news from the Moorehead gathering? I believe it took place this last weekend didn't it?
    Scott Irey,

Tozando. Solid reputation. Reasonable pricing and prompt delivery. Have been training with mine for 18mnths now and despite the habaki grabbing less in the saya, still perfect. Matte leather wrap has aged with use nicely, almost a gloss finish.

Not as customisable as perhaps Swordstore or Nosyudo, however i managed to get a custom Tsuba aside from the generic 3 options, brown matte leather Tsukamaki & tapered tsuka, gloss black saya, buffalo horn fittings, 2.55 and choice in 'Hamon'. Very traditional finish. Drew alot of positive feedback from our Ryu when it arrived. Couple of senior students were quick to comment on how well it handled.

A fellow student and good mate (member here too), spent 2k plus in a very nice Iaito from swordstore, he admits the quality is no different, with numerous 'plays' and training with it myself once or twice, i can vouch that despite the rather awesome stirling silver fittings, absolutely nill difference in quality. Paying 1.5+ for just a little more customisation is food for thought. Also delivery was hindered due to it having to go from Japan, to Swordstore in the US, to Aus. Took a couple months longer.

Cannot fault Tozando.
    Know the length of your...

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Irey View Post
    Any news from the Moorehead gathering? I believe it took place this last weekend didn't it?
    Going to answer my own question here. I just got off the phone with a very reliable source who verified what I heard shortly after posting my question. Apparently Federal Marshals came to Moorehead and confiscated all of the Nosyudo products. I feel for Mr. Anderson, he was clearly mislead by Mr. Igarashi. I hope his financial loss was not too great. Please folks... there are several top notch suppliers of iaito that are every bit as good as Nsoyudo, including Swordstore and Tozando and you won't be violating a federal court injunction if you buy from them.
    Scott Irey,

Scott et al ,

This sucks to hear. A Nosyudo iaito was near the top of my list of wants. There's still Meirin Sangyo, Tozando and Swordstore though.
    Non nobis Domine, non nobis sed Nomini Tuo da Gloriam
    "Not to us Lord, Not to us, but to Thy Name be the Glory"

Adsum, Domine: Totus ingenibus meis ad pedes tuos proponeo.
    Duce et regere servum tui, Domine, ab omnibus temptationem, ita ut honor purus et donum meum incontaminatus sit.
    "Here am I, Lord: All my talents at Thy feet I lay. Guide and guard Thy servant, Lord, from all temptation, that honor may be spotless and my gift unstained."
    - Katherine Kurtz "Healer's Song"