Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Epee du soldat

I have encountered the term when describing the typical french military officer/nco sword. Usually a smallsword hilted (but larger) weapon with a light double-edged straight blade. I really love these swords....
    Peace, Love, SWORDS!

Quote Originally Posted by Yves Casa View Post
    here is a sword form the Compagnies franches de marine from my collection
    what do you call the epee du soldat????i am french and we do not use that designation...??
    regards

http://swordscollection.blogspot.co....e-marines.html
    Hi Yves

I think the sword you show is a different type than what Morgan is regarding about these swords shown preceding. The half shell type have been surfacing somewhat with different blades having a primary edge and narrow fuller, also lacking their wire. Almost as if there was refitting going on over the decades.

Another had surfaced here recently and was thought to be American but to me now the profile is easily evident.
    http://www.swordforum.com/forums/sho...p?108806-M1840

Your blog page and information for this type is a fantastic addition to what I had already been pointed to by one in Canada producing replicas. David Ledoyen had spotted my own and shared his quite similar. The single edge blades and the wire missing almost seems like a later evolution of the pattern. Earlier in the thread ws a link to David's page for the reproductions that are fitted with the double edge blades on the half hilts.

Cheers

Hotspur; mine is mostly gathering dust with too many other simple swords

Thnk you Glen,

We call these swords epee de Sergent ou epee de fusillier, variations are numerous....but all have the Pas d'Ane.
    My sword from the Compagnies Franches with single shell were produced at the same period and for the same purpose, fusillier and sergent(NCO)....a lot of men from the compagnies franches were carrying the epee de sergent a pas d'ane.
    regards
    Y
    Last edited by Yves Casa; 04-21-2012 at 05:46 AM.

I love to see pictures of both, the officer/sergeant swords with the Pas d'Ane's and the single shell marine/nco swords. Though every time I see one I am filled with envy! I wish I owned more examples than I do
    Peace, Love, SWORDS!

Another British Copycat

Quote Originally Posted by Yves Casa View Post
    here is a sword form the Compagnies franches de marine from my collection
    what do you call the epee du soldat????i am french and we do not use that designation...??
    regards

http://swordscollection.blogspot.co....e-marines.html
    There is a very similar British sword to the above quoted French example. Both having the half boat shell guard.
    It is however from the opposite end of the social order to the Poilu's sword in Yves collection, it being the dress sword of the Household Cavalry in the mid 19th C.
    This example was retailed by Hamburger and Rogers.
    The first pic is the Poilu sword in Yves collection.
    Martin
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Martin R John; 04-22-2012 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Add info

The poilu sword??!!
    the poilu were the soldier from the first world war 1914 1918
    my sword for the compagnies Francches dated from the 1720's ...!
    yours is a typical half boat easier to carry at a time where swords were becoming obsolete...firearms bieing the weapon of choice
    cheers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12