Thread: Help for Identify the Straight sword.

Smile Help for Identify the Straight sword.

Can anybody Tell me about straight sword with gold cover size with cover 30.6 inches and without cover 29 inches long.Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

More images of straight swords.

please identify straight sword.

This one looks like an arabian saif. They are usually less curved than kilijs and shamshirs, sometimes almost straight. Wrapping on the hilt also indicates a saif. I would say a fairly modern example.
    "The relationship between West(Occident) and East(Orient) is indeed an example of a relationship of power and domination. Orientalism is thus a style of thought based upon an ontological and epistemological distinction made between the Orient and the Occident. It is a Western style of dominating, restructuring and building hegemony over the Orient.İt is an accepted grid for filtering through the Orient into Western consciousness, into the general culture."
    From "Orientalism" by Edward Said

Yep, this is a nejdi (swords commonly used in gulf states) my guess that its late 19th century.

There might be a date in the cartouche on the blade. Can you post close-up pictures of it?

More images of straight swords.

Thanks for Use ful information.

Hi,

The first (upper) one reads:
    بنده شاه ولایت عباس
    Meaning: The representative of the king of the country Abbas
    and the second (lower):
    عمل اسد الله
    Which is the name of the maker: Work of Asadollah

This is a Persian blade, and dates back to the Safavid period based on the cartouche with the name of the Safavid king Abbas
    (Based on the scripts it can`t be a late 19th century shamshir! as it says it belongs to Shah Abbas Safavid period! It seems to me that the blade could be shortened later and the handle is added to the blade too! ?I hope Manouchehr would correct me!?)

Regards
    Rahil
    Last edited by Rahil A.; 02-06-2011 at 03:00 PM.

I would like to point that this may not be a persian blade but rather an imitation of persian craftsmanship. Perhaps in Syria or maybe even Bahrain. Its still old though