Thread: FS: British P1827 Rifle Officers sword

FS: British P1827 Rifle Officers sword

P1827 Rifle Officers Sword & scabbard.

1) If you want a sword that you won’t have a coronary over when visitors want to put their sweaty hands all over and play ‘Errol Flynn’ with your sword collection !! or,
    2) If you want a place keeper till a better example appears….or,
    3) If you simply want to impress the neighbours at summer barbeques by cleaving watermelons in one stroke…..

…..then this is the sword for you !!!....

The blade is the standard 32 1/2“ long 1” wide ricasso, post 1845 Wilkinson style and has pretty much a 100% ‘salt ‘n pepper’ patina….the etching is only just visible in one or two places…no makers mark but a proved slug is present.

Hilt, backstrap and pommel are have a rusted brown patina which seems to be fairly stable now. The grip wire central strand is missing but two side strands are present but loose. Surprisingly the fishskin grip is pretty good in relation to the sword if a little worn.

Blade is straight and the sword has a lively balance in the hand.

Scabbard is not original and I suspect it’s from a modern reproduction. I bought it separately and it was advertised for a P1897. My standard 1” wide
    P1897 wouldn’t fit in it very well (without a little file work) so I tried it with this sword …and it fits like a glove ! The scabbard has leather frog fittings (some cracks in the leather) but I suspect the timber body is covered with some leather look synthetic material.

£125 GBP or equivalent $/euros plus postage.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Peter Walker; 02-03-2011 at 05:44 PM.
    "Shoot straight you bastards and don't make a mess of it !"
    Lt. Harry 'Breaker' Morant, Bushveldt Carbineers, Australian soldier, poet & national hero, excecuted by firing squad, Boer War, 1902.

More pics.....

A few more photos of this old soldier.....
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Lt. Harry 'Breaker' Morant, Bushveldt Carbineers, Australian soldier, poet & national hero, excecuted by firing squad, Boer War, 1902.

Price drop.....

Price 'slashed' to £110 GBP or equivalent $/euros plus postage.

PS: Sorry Ian... for bumping your sword to 2nd place !

Sacrificed to the Ebyss & sold !