Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For Sale: Rick Barrett Katana Blade with Habaki

Quote Originally Posted by c russell View Post
    Do you still have the blade from thwe post with the habaki? If so I am interesteds if we can come to terms on it?. Thanks. CraIg
    PM sent.

Update for the Holiday Season

It has been a while since I updated this sale, but after rereading it, I realized there is one aspect that requires clarification. To be precise, the initial post implies that the blade doesn’t have mounts when, in fact, that is not the case. It would have been more accurate to say that, although mounts were made, they weren’t being used, and so the blade remained bare for most of its life. There are several reasons for this, but ultimately, it boiled down to the fact that the mounts didn’t turn out quite the way I envisioned them. After much consideration, however, I have decided to include them in the sale (see the attached pictures). I figure that, even though I didn’t achieve the look I was after, someone else might like the set up just fine. Here are some details for the mounts:

The tsuka comes in at an even 11”, and features a full same’ wrap beneath black silk ito. The furniture depicts a crane theme, with most of the pieces coming from Fred Lohman. To be precise, the fuchi & kashira are Lohman’s “crane & moon” theme in blackened steel, while the menuki are Lohman’s “double crane” in blackened silver. The seppa are from Namikawa, and are gold-plated copper. I’m not sure of the tsuba’s origins, having picked it up from ebay in the late 90s, but it may be from D.A. Langenbacher, as I seem to recall someone posting a picture of a wakizashi-sized version from that company. The shitedome were picked up on ebay during the same time frame, and are equally mysterious to me.

As for the saya, the lacquer consists of a gold and black “swirl” pattern beneath clear gloss. The saya parts are fashioned from micarta instead of buffalo horn; a decision based on the recommendations put forth by a few other craftsmen who were getting good results with the material. And finally, the sageo is black silk.

Having said all that, here are the updated pricing and payment options for the holiday season:

As an exclusive for SFI members, I’m offering the mounted sword for $2500 if purchased outright with a single payment. This offer is good until the end of the year, at which point I will likely bump up the cash price a little bit.

If you’d rather buy the mounted sword via payment plan, the asking price is $3000, and carries the following terms:

1. The transaction must be completed within one year upon receipt of the first payment (see point #2 below).

2. The initial payment/deposit must be 20% of the starting price ($600, in this case), half of which is non-refundable as compensation in the event the transaction cannot be completed for whatever reason. Additional payments, both amount and frequency, are left up to the buyer, in accordance with point #1 above (although I do recommend keeping some sort of schedule, if only to ensure the transaction stays on track).

3. In the event that the buyer cannot complete the transaction, a refund will be forthcoming (minus the non-refundable portion noted in point #2 above), but only upon finding a new buyer for the sword, as the refund will be derived from the payment (or payments) made by the new buyer.

These prices are firm, so please to haggling or counteroffers. Likewise, I’m not interested in trades for other blades or related accessories at this time.

So there you have it. Thanks for looking.

-Robert
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Bump

Good Morning,
    I am seriously interested for an immediate purchase of the katana fully mounted.
    If possible could you send me a couple of close-up pictures of the saya in order to let me see the "swirl" better (I am not usually a fan of the color gold but I can be tempted to make exceptions) a couple of close-ups of the fittings and of the tsuba would be appreciated too.
    And a question: do you think i would need to have the blade sent to Rick for a polishing to get rid of the oxidation point? Any other minute spots or points that would need correction?
    I can be contacted at fab_adr@yahoo.fr
    Cheers,
    Fabrizio

Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizio Agnello View Post
    Good Morning,
    I am seriously interested for an immediate purchase of the katana fully mounted.
    If possible could you send me a couple of close-up pictures of the saya in order to let me see the "swirl" better (I am not usually a fan of the color gold but I can be tempted to make exceptions) a couple of close-ups of the fittings and of the tsuba would be appreciated too.
    And a question: do you think i would need to have the blade sent to Rick for a polishing to get rid of the oxidation point? Any other minute spots or points that would need correction?
    I can be contacted at fab_adr@yahoo.fr
    Cheers,
    Fabrizio

PM and E-mail sent.

-RSM

Private email message sent to you...

Sold. Thanks Fab.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12