Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Three Musketeers 2011 trailer

The Three Musketeers 2011 trailer

Here is the trailer for the 2011 movie adaptation of Alexandre Dumas timeless tale of The Three Musketeers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl1vkG6qiAA

It seems more like a steampunk themed movie than a historical adventure or even a swashbuckler story. I recognized two of the musketeers, one from BBC's Spooks, other from HBO's Rome. I can't remember their names, but they are good solid actors, this is a huge plus for the movie. Other than that, I don't think it will be any good. Lots of special effects and overchoreographed fight scenes...

And I must say, every Holywood "musketeers" adaptation is worse than the last. I don't think I've seen a quality Musketeers adaptation since "The Man in The Iron Mask" with Leo DiCaprio, Gerard Depardiau, Jeremy Irons, Gabriel Byrne and John Malkovich. That was a good movie with a good story and decent swordplay.
    "The relationship between West(Occident) and East(Orient) is indeed an example of a relationship of power and domination. Orientalism is thus a style of thought based upon an ontological and epistemological distinction made between the Orient and the Occident. It is a Western style of dominating, restructuring and building hegemony over the Orient.İt is an accepted grid for filtering through the Orient into Western consciousness, into the general culture."
    From "Orientalism" by Edward Said

Haha, thanks for the link. Is that some sort of ninja in the first scene?

Quote Originally Posted by william.m View Post
    Don't you know? France was FULL of ninjas during that period.
    "We shine, not burn"
    "Tulach Ard"- Clan War cry
    Member of the Cateran Society
    CarolinaGael- For everything about Scotland and Northern Europe!
    http://jayrequard.blogspot.com/

Thumbs down So far... so bad.

I fear that this will be just one more, in a series of all-show-no-go, Hollyweird exploitations of a brilliant literary classic. The 3-D format is the first giveaway that the movie favors quick $$$ profits, over creating a lasting masterpiece of cinematography. It's obvious that it aims to drawn the overly-stimulated, video game consuming youths of today, into the theaters with the overabundance of high tech imagery. Why do this with an historical storyline?

From the trailer alone, I sense that this will not be a classic motion picture. Why is it that Chinese film makers can produce movies like Musa the Warrior and even moreso, Warlords, which have every bit as much technology behind their visual presentation and at the same time, do not bastardize the films (with ceaseless concessions to the 21st century viewing audience)? That kind of realism is what I would expect from a remake of The Three Musketeers.

That being said, I feel that the new Robin Hood movie starring Russel Crowe, is a fine film with more than enough realism, without needing the 3-D format and the over-the-top computer generated special effects. That's the direction I would like to see for the next Three Musketeers movie. Hopefully the next one will be better conceived and acted in a manner befitting the period in which the actual events in the story occurred.

Ideally, a good film inspires the viewer to rush out and procure a copy of the book in which the storyline originates. Sadly, movies like this one appears to be, based on my snap judgement, the continuation of a tragic departure from the original charm of the Alexander Dumas literary masterpiece. I truly doubt such a production will motivate the hyperactive kids of today to dig deeper into the authentic manner in which Dumas presented the storyline, in all it's historical splendor. Just saying...
    Last edited by jonpalombi; 03-27-2011 at 07:06 AM.
    "A wise person aspires the study of swordsmanship. A lucky person finds a worthy teacher, an unlucky person finds yet another student... in the guise of a genuine Master. Sadly, a fool cannot tell the difference either way." Anecdotes of The Unknown Swordsman

I think I lost IQ points from watching that trailer. I think I'll pass on this adaptation.

That was cheesy.

And not good cheesy. What is this, Iron Man with swords and tabards, huh?

I'm nervous we may never see a truly serious/accurate(ish) period piece ever again, thanks to our modern "culture".
    Luceo Non Uro.

Fetch my tear (as in crying) vase.
    Tom Donoho

I doubt anyone could top the Michael York Oliver Reed version from the 70's. while it may lack the polish that we've come to expect in terms of camera work it was remarkably true to the source and the film is a joy to watch even now.
    boyhood lives in daydreams that manhood does not forget

Graham Tuloch

I agree, Lee. Those were good movies for their time and hold up well.
    Tom Donoho

Thumbs down

Agreed.

While the 1970's actors were leveled with heavy criticism from the rapier swordsmen of the day (about their skill with the sword & dagger or cloak), as well as the disrespect from sport fencers, the actors could at least deliver a great performance with a lot of entertaining character development. The 2 modestly made films contained action, adventure and romance and included a charming degree of humor. Many people criticized the tongue-in-cheek playfulness of these motion pictures, they we both funny and exciting (despite the overly British sarcasm in the whole production).

Sure, most of us assumed that by now... such movie-adaptions to literary classics, would be an outstanding production to behold. Far be it from being such, I observed little acting skill or historical realism in the trailer, to even partially rival the brilliance of the 70's version. And don't get me started on the Disney atrocity of the 90's...

"Much ado about nothing." and "All show, no go."... are Jonny The Most Rotten's official assessment of this new 3-D travesty.

Arrivederci, Jon
    Last edited by jonpalombi; 04-09-2011 at 09:54 AM.
    "A wise person aspires the study of swordsmanship. A lucky person finds a worthy teacher, an unlucky person finds yet another student... in the guise of a genuine Master. Sadly, a fool cannot tell the difference either way." Anecdotes of The Unknown Swordsman

Hollyidiots

Well, having worked in this industry for 21 years now. I am truely on the verge of giving up hope. No point in trying to work w directors and producers w a seventh grade education level. There is no Talk simple understanding that you choreograph traditional swordsmanship and amplify rythem and tempo and good camera work not ninja video game zack synder,anderson useless CRAP!! You know youre dealing w complete idiocy when they didnt learn what not to do after "Musketeer" this is my favorite period and my alltime favorite subject. I hate them for wasting all that money on something so shamefully vapid.No way to redeem themselves.
    Luke LaFontaine. Fight Choreographer / Stunt Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by T. Donoho View Post
    Fetch my tear (as in crying) vase.
    Ha! Another fan of Ustinov's Nero, I see.

Guys, I'll be honest - as much as this looks like a blatant bastardization of Dumas' work, at least it kinda looks like a fun blatant bastardization of Dumas' work, same way 2009 Sherlock Holmes was a fun blatant bastardization of Arthur Conan Doyle's work. And at least they're not going for half-measures. I mean, they have a freaking airship. I'm all for that: If you are going to take liberties with the source material, you may as well do so with gusto!

(Besides, I don't think it's wise to dismiss a movie as bad before even seeing it. After all, movie trailers are notoriously unreliable.)

As for the fencing, it seems to be standard Hollywood swashbuckling fare. I admit it's a bit grating to see people swing rapiers around like broadswords, but that's choreography for you.

For the record, my favourite Three Musketeers movies are the 1948 version and the 1993 version. For some reason, I also seem to be the only man alive who didn't like the 70:s version.

Quote Originally Posted by william.m View Post
    I think it's just an assassin.

As a rule of thumb: Ninja kill people with throwing stars, assassins kill people with weird multi-crossbow things.
    Last edited by Anders Backlund; 05-26-2011 at 02:13 PM.
    "This doesn't look easy... but I bet it is!"
    -Homer Simpson.

Blog Entries
    Once again, the "film industry" clearly demonstrates that it's fresh out of ideas.
    mark@swordforum.com

~ Hostem Hastarum Cuspidibus Salutemus ~

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who don't."
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Anders Backlund View Post
    For the record, my favourite Three Musketeers movies are the 1948 version and the 1993 version. For some reason, I also seem to be the only man alive who didn't like the 70:s version.
    The 1993 version. The one with Rebecca de Mornay and her considerable... talents?

A favourite movie of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark McMorrow View Post
    Once again, the "film industry" clearly demonstrates that it's fresh out of ideas.
    I dunno. Haven't they made, like, a million Three Musketeers movies over the decades? At this point, one more strikes me less like a sign of ideas running out a more like the new generation keeping a time-honored tradition going.

Also, this one has an airship, which can be accused of a lot of things but not for being uninspired.

Quote Originally Posted by Aidan O'Brien View Post
    The 1993 version. The one with Rebecca de Mornay and her considerable... talents?

A favourite movie of mine.
    If you ask me, Oliver Platt's Porthos makes that movie worth seeing all on his own.
    "This doesn't look easy... but I bet it is!"
    -Homer Simpson.

Blog Entries
    Trust me, Anders. I know people in the film industry. They are fresh out of ideas.
    mark@swordforum.com

~ Hostem Hastarum Cuspidibus Salutemus ~

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who don't."
    Benjamin Franklin

I guess the movie is aiming at me (young man in mid 20s, grown up with computer games, graphic nerd etc), but no...chinese martial arts + european fencing + Pirates of the Caribbean goofs = me no likey.

Worst adaptation ever!

Ugh. I died a little inside. I won't see this for the very reason I didn't see Sherlock Holmes, rather than making a TRUELY bastardized version of the films (complete steampunk) they go for little bits and pieces, thinking it's cool to add flame throwers and airships. I mean, it kind of reminds me of Final Fantasy IV and VI (for the gamers out there), but not in a good way.
    Every time I put on a suit for a wedding or other event, I feel like I'm wearing optimal clothing for an epic fight scene...

Ronin Outpost

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Justice View Post
    Ugh. I died a little inside. I won't see this for the very reason I didn't see Sherlock Holmes, rather than making a TRUELY bastardized version of the films (complete steampunk) they go for little bits and pieces, thinking it's cool to add flame throwers and airships. I mean, it kind of reminds me of Final Fantasy IV and VI (for the gamers out there), but not in a good way.
    You should really consider seeing sherlock holmes, it was actually pretty good. Also, I saw the 2011 three musketeers and as everyone predicted it was horrible.

It really pains me to write the following short review, but since I started the thread I may as well say something about this movie. I went to see the movie Saturday night. I have seen all the bad reviews but I went to see it anyway because I am a huge fan of Alexandre Dumas Three Musketeers. The movie was worse than what I expected.

The Three Musketeers have been turned into some sort of Mission Impossible ensemble performing over the top action sequences. The talent of all the fine actors is lost in bad character development and weak dialogue lines.

Milla Jovovich who happens to be the wife of the Three Musketeers director Paul W.S. Anderson, plays the role of Milady de Winter. They have turned the character from someone who exercises soft power to achieve her goals into Angelina Jolie's character in the movie Salt who exercises hard power.

Logan Lerman plays the role of D'Artagnan but it is obvious he has been chosen for his looks alone. The character of D'Artagnan has changed from the fiery, rebellious and impatient young man who wants to prove himself worthy to be a Musketeer to a lover boy with a sword.

The highlights of the movie are the over the top air ship battles. The final act 3 fight between D'Artagnan and Rochefort is supposed to be the best fight scene and end with a huge surprise but it ends with a predictable ending while Rochefort is delivering some lame lines.

So, who is or who are the real heroes of this movie? It is not the Three Musketeers or D'Artagnan. The real heroes are special effects folks who worked tirelessly to program and deliver the airship battle sequences on their computers.

To end this post with something that may be of interest to the folks on this forum, here is a 26 minute footage of the actual making of the movie which includes on the set and off the set sword fight practice sessions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GtRydqZq-0
    Last edited by Sam T.; 10-23-2011 at 06:25 PM.

The '70's movies with Christopher Lee, Michael York, Oliver Reed and Raquel Welch, with Faye Dunaway and Charlton Heston as Richelieu are in my humble opinion the only Musketeers films worth a damn. The later adaptaion with Ms. DeMornay failed on so many counts, not least of which was making DeWinter less villainous and turning Richelieu into some comic-strip villain, I don't even want to go in it here.
    Save the ticket and popcorn money, and buy the 70's flicks on DVD (with interviews with the cast).

Sam,
    Thank you for your review. I have no special memories of the Musketeers or films about their exploits so I don't think any lack of character development can ruin the movie for me. The video you linked actually made me want to see the movie. It looks like it might be fun, if nothing else.

Jonathan

I received preview passes to the movie and went with my kids. It's a "fun" movie. If you go in with expectations of historical accuracy, relistic swordplay, etc. you're going to be disappointed. This isn't a documentary it's a popcorn movie meant to entertain the masses for a short period of time. If anyone comes out interested in the era or sword play, and actually delves further into study then great.

The airship battles were over the top but all the "Wrath of Khan" references were fun.

The movie was considerably better than Conan and was entertaining enough for a fall filler movie.
    Paul La Rue

Exiles Web Comic
    www.exiles.ca

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast