Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Some interesting old photos with swords

Some interesting old photos with swords

Here's one of the crew of HMS Margaret on board deck in 1904 at Baltasound, unst, Shetland wielding cutlasses in a defence formation. Cutlasses were put aside in favour of firearms not untill the 1910s. More to come, feel free to add your old photos.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    David Gray

The Abbotsford Armoury was built by Sir Walter Scott, it's in a mock boronial mansion his profile is on the decorative plaque above the doorway. Firearms include muskets, rifles with various swords scimitars and knives, this photo was registered in 1878, does anyone know if this view has changed or is it pretty much the same?
    Last edited by David gray; 04-04-2011 at 09:58 AM.
    David Gray

Last edited by Christopher Treichel; 04-04-2011 at 11:33 AM.
    "Please look in the encyclopedia and make a brief memorandum for me concerning the life of Correggio."
    Elbert Hubbard

Nakamura Ryu Batto Do, Order of Seven Hearts

Very good Christopher, my info was wrong they were still playing with Cutlasses after 1910. Did they still carry them on board as an every day weapon though? or was that just for show?
    David Gray

According to Peterson re: the 1860 cutlass " Even though a new model was adopted in 1917, these cutlasses were still to be found in the arms racks of some American naval vessels at the beginning of WWII."

If it can happen here it can happen anywhere.
    "Ancora imparo - Michelangelo Buonarotti"

East Lothian Rifle Volunteers c1870

Volunteer companies were formed up during the 1859 invasion scare. In 1880 they became the 1st haddingtonshire Rifle Volunteers and then the 7th battalion of the Royal Scots in 1888. Two swords held by the officer on the left and senior NCO on the right, the others have long muzzle loading rifles. It was the French they were worried about.
    Last edited by David gray; 04-06-2011 at 09:14 AM.
    David Gray

Here are a couple Chinese sword related pictures. The first one is the strangely fierce trio of men with machine guns, swords, and bicycles. The second photo is said to be civilians being mobilized against the Japanese in Canton.

Quote Originally Posted by David gray View Post
    Very good Christopher, my info was wrong they were still playing with Cutlasses after 1910. Did they still carry them on board as an every day weapon though? or was that just for show?
    want to take a guess what year the last US Army field manual was published with bayonet against sword?
    "Please look in the encyclopedia and make a brief memorandum for me concerning the life of Correggio."
    Elbert Hubbard

56. Against a man on foot, armed with a sword, be careful
    that the muzzle of the rifle is not grasped. All the swordsman's
    energies win be directed toward getting past the bayonet. At-
    tack him with short, stabbing thrusts, and keep him beyond
    striking distance of his weapon.
    Elbert Hubbard

US Navy 1904 Petty Officer's Drillbook includes a section on fencing

http://www.navyandmarine.org/cutlass...906cutlass.pdf
    Elbert Hubbard

Great thread! I've posted this image from my collection [of one] before, I think.

Sir William Macewen 1848-1924 was Honorary Surgeon to his Majesty in Scotand and Surgeon General to the Royal Navy in Scotland also Regius Professor of Surgery at Glasgow University from 1892-1924. He was knighted in 1902 and made outstanding contributions to the surgery of the brain and bone. He strove to achieve perfect aseptic conditions in his operating theaters and in post-op nursing. Sir William is seated on the left with his sword somewhat hidden but there's others there. He was a pupil of Joseph Lister(1827-1912), photo taken around 1917. "Keep the swordsman beyond striking distance" that sounds like good advice.
    David Gray

This highlander's had a wee bit too much it seems his sword is in the wrong way for a quick draw. I like this one a lot i think i'll have it blown up and framed. Not so old, 1981 on this one.
    David Gray

Ensign Ewart Bar, Edinburgh 1960's

A sword display inside the bar, the 2nd is an engraving of Castlehill 1839 the bar is on the right where the soldiers are. The third is part of a painting at the bar, with a couple of swords.
    David Gray

Scottish General Sir David Baird 1811

He was born in 1757 and had an impressive career, among others is the capture of Seringapatam 1799, Egypt, Peninsular War, Spain. It was at the battle of Carunna 1809 that he was hit by a charge of grapeshot and he lost his arm. He died at Ferntower near Crieff in Perthshire 18Aug 1829.
    David Gray

Tipu Sultan ruler of Mysore 1750-1799

The looser at Seringapatam 1799 he was found under a heap of bodies and identified, with his Scimitar and scabbard. This sword was presented to Baird but his officers wanted to give him something more meaningfull. I can't change the date up there but it should be 1782-1799.
    Last edited by David gray; 04-13-2011 at 10:44 AM.
    David Gray

Quote Originally Posted by David gray View Post
    He was born in 1757 and had an impressive career, among others is the capture of Seringapatam 1799, Egypt, Peninsular War, Spain. It was at the battle of Carunna 1809 that he was hit by a charge of grapeshot and he lost his arm. He died at Ferntower near Crieff in Perthshire 18Aug 1829.
    The general's sword has a strong flavor of being a fine product of James Morriset.

Hello Dmitry on the 4th of June 1799 the General was informed that his officers had commisioned Messrs Jeffreys and Jones to make a dress sword. The value of two hundred guineas was given and they were hoping it would be completed before the battles aniversary of the 4th of May 1800.
    Last edited by David gray; 04-13-2011 at 10:46 AM.
    David Gray

David, I am almost certain the hilt was done by Morriset's atelier. It has all the traits of his style. Perhaps the cutlers that you mentioned had subcontracted the work to him, as was customary in London at that time.

Hello Dmitry the craftsmen who did the art work are John Ray and James Montague of London. Wouldn't you know it after reading a bit further i come up with Ray and Montague as working in the same shop as James Morriset likely learning from him. Then in 1800 they take over his address in Denmark st Soho. The sword was delivered to the General before the aniversary of May 4th 1800, so had it been a year earlier it would be Morriset's name, no wonder it looked like his hand at work.
    Last edited by David gray; 04-13-2011 at 02:55 PM.
    David Gray

A good bit of sleuthing work there, David.
    Morriset's distinct designs and gold-enamel work were sans pareil at the time. Unquestionably, his shop made the best, most expensive presentation sword hilts in all of London, at the time.

Here's another sword presented to Admiral Sir William Carnegie 1758-1831 a Scottish Nobleman the Earl of Northesk and third in command at Trafalgar. His ship HMS Britannia, after breaking through enemy lines was in almost constant action for 5hrs and saw the death or wounding of 52 of the crew. The artwork again is by Ray and Montague and it was presented by the City of london in 1805. The large gold medal was awarded to Carnegie for his part at Trafalgar.
    Last edited by David gray; 04-14-2011 at 10:37 AM.
    David Gray

Sir James Grant 1738-1811

Chief of Clan Grant and Lord Lieutenant of Inverness-shire he raised a number of regiments including the Grant and Stathspey Fensible Regiments raised in 1793 and 1794 respectively, the 97th regiment of foot and the Inverness-shire Volunteers raised in 1794 and the Inverness-shire Militia raised in 1802. The engraving is by John Kay, born near Edinburgh in 1742 he was a barber but soon became a full time engraver and painter of miniatures, this one done in 1798.
    David Gray

Battle of the clans at Perth 1396

Presided over by King Robert 111 on the North Inch between Clan Chattan and Clan Kay. Thirty champians from each side fought to the death untill only one Kay and a few Chattans remained, no doubt a slaughter.
    David Gray

To do with the previous battle of the clans story i remember from history books when i was in primary 4 or 5 that one of the clans was short of their thirty man team and borrowed a big guy from Perth who was a blacksmith to fight for them and i believe he survived, anyone know the story??
    David Gray

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast