Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Some interesting old photos with swords

Nice photos - he was born in 1888, so I guess this photo is from around 1905, as he looks about 17:

And here about to go to war - indeed with what looks like an 1890 pattern to me - the hilt doesn't look long enough for the '99 (perhaps because he was mounted police here rather than frontline):

"Sgt Harry Coverdale, Military Mounted Police on mare 'Vidy', attached to 16th Lancers in the field, before going to the Somme in France where he won the military medal for saving a wounded officer on the battlefield of the Somme."

Thanks for loading the photos Matt, as you'll read from the archive his wife was also called Vidy, a brave man indeed!!

James Drummond RSA 1810-1877

A salted paper portrait from the mid 1840's. A subject and history painter concentrating on scenes of later Scottish history. These drawings were published in 1881 in "Ancient Scottish Weapons" almost as good as a photo.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    David Gray

It's not often you can spot such a minute detail in an early photo as a patent solid hilt, but here you can! : Lt Arthur Ramsay Macdonald of Sandside of the Royal Field Artillery in circa 1906:

Name:  x1.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  55.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Easton View Post
    It's not often you can spot such a minute detail in an early photo as a patent solid hilt, but here you can! : Lt Arthur Ramsay Macdonald of Sandside of the Royal Field Artillery in circa 1906:

Name:  x1.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  55.9 KB
    I wonder if he was related to Donald Ramsay Macdonald, RA, who also owned a patent solid hilt sword: http://www.victorianwars.com/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=128

Here are a few images from an 1898 edition of Navy and Army Illustrated which depict American officers of the period. PM with your email address if you want to see larger pics.

Jonathan

Here's one from Down Under. A rather motley-looking group of South Australian Volunteer Corps in around 1860

Quote Originally Posted by Rob E. Ozias View Post
    According to Peterson re: the 1860 cutlass " Even though a new model was adopted in 1917, these cutlasses were still to be found in the arms racks of some American naval vessels at the beginning of WWII."

If it can happen here it can happen anywhere.
    Actually, they were apparently around even after that. Here is an extract I made from another SFI thread from about 2011:

Question: “In the big sword collection I picked up a few months ago, this Naval cutlass was in the group. I initially chocked it up to being a replica but now I'm not so sure… The part that made me assume is was a replica is that the grip is not leather but cast aluminum. But as I was looking at this again, I noticed… The stamping of the rack number appears to be old and not recently done, and the Grandson of the former owner said he acquired his pieces around 1950 and 1960. Is anyone aware of aluminum grip cutlasses like this?”

Reply: “Sir: I was present at New London CT when a US sub was de-commissioned, circa 1971. There were Model 1860 and Model 1918(?) Cutlasses in the arms rack.....Some of the 1860 models had been reconditioned with a grip like yours...I was surprised to see such items still in use!! ”

Co A, 7th National Guard, State of New York ca. 1880/90

This interesting group show the unit at summer camp.The officer carries the M1860 Staff and line and the NCO a bone grip sword with a leather scabbard. This link my prove interesting. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7th_New_York_Militia

This is Brigadier General of Rhode Island Volunteers Nelson Gore ca. 1900, with a presentation grade M1860 Staff and Line Officers sword that is similar to one in my collection by Ames sword Co., Chickopee Massachusetts.

Ww1

British Lancers charge German artillery in 1916 and a wounded cuirassier has his armour removed for treatment.
    David Gray

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678