Thread: Help identifying a Dagger!

Help identifying a Dagger!

Hi chaps, i'm new here, not very clued up on daggers/swords etc and i'm looking for some advice on my grandad's Dagger he bought back from a market in the middle east during WW2.

He was in Egypt and India and can't remember where he got it

It has an Arabic style to it, I think - some Arab lettering on the cover (sheath?) and top of the knife above the blade before the handle.

Any help identifying it and telling me what it is would be great!

Pics below!

I think it is an Indian chilanum. Nice one too.

wow, brilliant!

Thanks for that, just done a wee Google image search and it seems you are quite right, the style is certainly Indian and not Arabic as I thought.

Any ideas on how old it could be? Found some as old as 1700!

Adam

Looks like pretty modern manufacture to me--I haven't seen decoration that rough/a hilt and blade so simple on a chilanum before. Could be wrong, but it looks like a tourist piece to me.
    "We are all imprisoned by the dictionary. We choose out of that vast, paper-walled prison our convicts, the little black printed words, when in truth we need fresh sounds to utter, new enfranchised noises which would produce a new effect."
    — Mervyn Peake

Maybe.......or it could be over cleaned........

The decoration and proportions just seem...off to me. Again, I could be wrong, but if it was picked up at a WW2 market that would corraborate with the tourist item thing.
    "We are all imprisoned by the dictionary. We choose out of that vast, paper-walled prison our convicts, the little black printed words, when in truth we need fresh sounds to utter, new enfranchised noises which would produce a new effect."
    — Mervyn Peake

Hello,

Not quite a chilanum but a jamdhar katari from Northern India. The type is old but this one is either too well cleaned or it is a newer take on it. Could you post better pics of the lettering on the scabbard? I don't think the old ones had any writing.

Emanuel
    Always check your assumptions...there are no contradictions.
    Get some real news...
    www.informationclearinghouse.info
    www.counterpunch.org
    http://globalresearch.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Emanuel Nicolescu View Post
    Hello,

Not quite a chilanum but a jamdhar katari from Northern India. The type is old but this one is either too well cleaned or it is a newer take on it. Could you post better pics of the lettering on the scabbard? I don't think the old ones had any writing.

Emanuel
    Thanks for the replies chaps

I looked up the above mentioned knife and it came up with a twin blade scissor type dagger? Not a single blade like the one I posted?

It was cleaned an awful lot from what I remember, maybe too much as you say. I am taking it to an auctioneers next week so should have a better idea of age etc... hopefully!

I will get some more pictures done.

Adam

Hi Adam,

Are you referring to this: http://oriental-arms.com/item.php?id=243 A scissors kattar or "jamadhar sehlikaneh " also from India.

The "jam(a)dhar katari" is this: http://oriental-arms.com/item.php?id=112

There is wide confusion about the names.

They're very fun to study and collect

Emanuel
    Always check your assumptions...there are no contradictions.
    Get some real news...
    www.informationclearinghouse.info
    www.counterpunch.org
    http://globalresearch.ca

I repeat that I think the fittings look a little modern and rough. In the linked example above you can see how much more crisp the workmanship is. I've seen work that rough in tourist/export pieces all the time, but never on a piece intended for domestic consumption. It's not the world's most common form, though, so I could be way off the mark. It'll be neat to hear what the appraiser has to say!
    — Mervyn Peake

Emanuel, I stand corrected. Thank you.