Thread: Recently Finished Work

Recently Finished Work

Why do we do the things we do? Making folks happy, associating with great craftsman, being satisfied with good craftsmanship, and getting to see swords in polish!

I forged this wakizashi last year and, after the commission fell through, I put it away. I studied it a bit and thought it would be a real looker, so I thought I might hang on to it. Then my wife and I found a house, so I decided to offer it for sale. I just finished the polish and wanted to share her with everyone before she ships off. The polish is only an iai-grade polish, but I kinda took it up a notch because I kept finding neat stuff. It didn't get a lot of nugui, so you can see some minute "reflective" scratches here and there in the photos that aren't as apparent with the naked eye.

All that is left in the photos is to drill mekugi-ana and punch my mei. This is offered in the spirit of sharing and improving, so any improvements that anyone might see that could be made, I would appreciate your input. Thanks to everyone that looks and thanks to all those that contribute to this wonderful community.

Here are the stats:

nagasa: 20 3/4"
    nakago: 5"
    motohaba: 1 1/8"
    kasane: 7/16"
    mune: iori-mune
    boshi: tsukiage w/ long kaeri
    sori: saki-sori right at 3/4"
    hamon: choji-midare featuring areas of saka-choji in nioi-deki

Thanks,

Shannon

Rest of the album can be viewed here:

http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/a...shi/?start=all

Mods: I hope I did the photos correctly. They are hotlinked, so that doesn't eat up bandwidth, right? Let me know if it needs correction.
    Last edited by J.S. Hill; 06-17-2011 at 01:42 PM.

wow, i do not think i have seen that type of activity before, that is a true work of art

Blog Entries
    That's wicked, I really dig it!
    "Ah, the old disco room.......just as I left it!" Cassanova Frankenstein

"It's all about having a good time!" Ricky Martin

"We are number one....all others are number two or lower!" The Sphinx

"Let me put my poems in you!" Chazz Micheal Micheals

www.odinblades.com

Thanks, David and John! I appreciate the comments!

Thumbs up

Makes me think of the atmosphere of some mysterious planet. What an interesting pattern!
    "It is my feeling that to make a good sword, one must make a weapon first, and art second. But if it is really "right", it is both things at once, and in equal measure." -- Howard Clark

"I cannot compensate for improper use of a sword. Nothing is bullet proof and idiots prove on a regular basis that nothing is idiot-proof -- they're just too creative." -- Keith Larman

Quote Originally Posted by Joo-Hwan Lee View Post
    Makes me think of the atmosphere of some mysterious planet. What an interesting pattern!
    Same here. I was browsing for the U.S.S. Enterprise.

Beautiful work. Amazing how much variation there is n different kinds of steels.
    Every time I put on a suit for a wedding or other event, I feel like I'm wearing optimal clothing for an epic fight scene...

Ronin Outpost

Quote Originally Posted by Joo-Hwan Lee View Post
    Same here. I was browsing for the U.S.S. Enterprise.

Beautiful work. Amazing how much variation there is n different kinds of steels.
    Every time I put on a suit for a wedding or other event, I feel like I'm wearing optimal clothing for an epic fight scene...

Ronin Outpost

Lovely blade! Very nice job you have done on this sword, it must have been quite difficult to get the twin hamon on either side of the blade, quite the technical achievement with a curved blade! I am not sure about the reversed nakago, I don't think I have ever seen anything like that before. Especially as I suppose it would make it slightly difficult to make the classic tsuka bend, which flows back with the sori.

Great job!

nakago

William,

Thank you for your kind compliments regarding the heat-treat.

I have never had a complaint about mounting any of my blades. Regarding the nakago, it is not reversed in any manner. The nakago-jiri is missing the bottom cut, but that is one of my hallmarks. What makes you think it would be difficult to mount? The nakago flows with slightly less sori as the blade, which is how one makes the tsuka able to follow the blade's general sori. I am always trying to improve and learn, so I would like to be sure not to miss anything. Your explanation would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Shannon

Hi Shannon,

Looking back at the photos it is not as extreme as I originally thought as there is a bit of an optical illusion.
    Anyways this is much more of an issue with longer katana rather than wakizashi, but the problem with this type of cut is that it lengthens the point as to when you can start tapering the tsuka to flow in line with the sori resulting in either a longer tsuka, or less of a taper. But as I said, it shouldn't be a problem with wakzashi.

Take a look at the image below, which should hopefully show my thoughts a bit better. Also this is just my opinion, I have never mounted a sword with the kind of nakago you have, so this is purely speculative.

Nakago

William,

I appreciate your feedback. I will take everything you have said under advisement. I have mounted very few of my own swords. However, I have never had any problems due to the shape of the nakago-jiri. I also have never had any of the folks that have purchased my blades complain that either they or a professional-mounter had difficulties due to shaping. Generally, the worst problems making tsuka come from a nakago that is ill-shaped (not tapering properly), not following the sori of the sword in the first place, or that is way too wide. Length can be an issue, but you make the tsuka for the sword, not the other way around. I will do some experiments and see if I can validate your argument. However, I respectfully and humbly feel that the 3/4" of extra nakago-jiri would never create any difficulties in making a properly shaped tsuka for this sword, regardless if it were a katana or wakizashi.

Thanks,

Shannon

J.S Hill

Nice to see your work, as for the nakago whether you cut some off the top or leave it, the blade will go into the Tsuka the same way. As I have often looked at your work and wondered to myself as to you do it that way? LOL and you answered that question so now I am at peace with myself and my universe is right again LOL. I have had similar results as far a a hamon goes with the Hira-Zukuri sugata goes, something about the lack of a shinogi I guess. Who know why the steel chooses the hamon stryle that it does, as it is not by us by no means.

John

Shannon, this thing is awesome. I'm impressed with how you've improved over the years. As for the nakago-jiri, I don't see what the issue is, Weren't "kiri" nakago-jiri flat across the end?
    I like swords.

If you want to climb a mountain, begin at the top.

"Integrity, justice, courage, and action - without these, a person is of no consequence." - Don Nelson

learn the way to preserve rather than destroy.
    avoid rather than check, check rather than hurt, hurt rather than maim, maim rather than kill.
    for all life is precious, not one can be replaced.

Super nice blade. Great activity.