Thread: Modifying a CAS/Hanwei Dirk *HELP ME*

Modifying a CAS/Hanwei Dirk *HELP ME*

Hey all, been awhile since I've walked around these parts. I'm here today because I got my hands on my second CAS/Hanwei Dirk:

http://www.kultofathena.com/product....+Scottish+Dirk

And I was wondering if anyone knew how to disassemble this damned thing. I want to remove an inch from the handle, bringing down the Overall Length from 19 3/4 inches to 18 3/4 inches. My friend is also a brilliant carver, and has offered to do that handle up for me in exchange for a few bottles of mead (BARTERING WORKS, PEOPLE!)

I was just wondering if anyone knew how to get this dirk apart so I can really look at it. i try twisting the small knob, but I can't get it to budge. Could someone please help me by cluing me in?

Thanks,
    Jay
    "We shine, not burn"
    "Tulach Ard"- Clan War cry
    Member of the Cateran Society
    CarolinaGael- For everything about Scotland and Northern Europe!
    http://jayrequard.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Requard View Post
    My friend is also a brilliant carver, and has offered to do that handle up for me in exchange for a few bottles of mead (BARTERING WORKS, PEOPLE!)
    Hi Jay,
    If your friend is a great carver and has offered to replace the handle for a few bottles of mead (I suspect homebrew?) then you should make him work for it break the handle off, it's more than likely epoxied on. Use a sharp chisel and see if you can't find a seam on either side of the handle.

However, my machine shop teachers always told us this one thing to remember: If you suspect it's screwed on and you can't get it to loosen, try turning it the other way.
    Last edited by Jeff Ellis; 06-20-2011 at 03:05 AM.
    I like swords.

If you want to climb a mountain, begin at the top.

"Integrity, justice, courage, and action - without these, a person is of no consequence." - Don Nelson

learn the way to preserve rather than destroy.
    avoid rather than check, check rather than hurt, hurt rather than maim, maim rather than kill.
    for all life is precious, not one can be replaced.

Thanks, Jeff. I am beginning to suspect it is epoxied on, but I give it another turn the other way.
    "We shine, not burn"

The gents at Hanwei sometimes put two bolts on their tangs... functional one underneath the decorative one... sometimes hidden underneath some epoxie... so if at first you don't succeed.... add some heat ~3-400 degrees say stove top gas flame to heat the pommel a bit and see what happens. The epoxie Hanwei uses softens with heat. Be aware that it releases some noxious smelling fumes.
    "Please look in the encyclopedia and make a brief memorandum for me concerning the life of Correggio."
    Elbert Hubbard

Nakamura Ryu Batto Do, Order of Seven Hearts

I believe that most epoxies just fail when they reach 3-400 degrees. I had to clean some off a chunk of soapstone I use to cook on and it disintegrated at 500. be careful not to mess up the temper!
    I like swords.

If you want to climb a mountain, begin at the top.

"Integrity, justice, courage, and action - without these, a person is of no consequence." - Don Nelson

learn the way to preserve rather than destroy.
    avoid rather than check, check rather than hurt, hurt rather than maim, maim rather than kill.
    for all life is precious, not one can be replaced.

Hey all,

I got it disassembled, and no one bit of epoxy could be found (which was a bit shocking, considering Hanwei has been known to use some in SOME pieces). However, Jeff was right about turning the bolt the other way. I will be posting pictures of all the parts, and I think everyone will be interested to see what I found. I was actually pleasantly surprised. It's near 3am right now, so until the morning!
    "We shine, not burn"

Here are those pictures I promised. Sorry, it was a busier day that I thought it would be.

For those who might wonder about the brown line on the shoulders of the dirk blade, that is glue left by the handle. While there was no epoxy, there was a bit of stick in there. I have to say, I think the overall construction of this piece is pretty good all things considered, and when I put together, it was as tight and solid as it had been before disassembling it. Overall, a nice piece by the people at Hanwei!
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    "We shine, not burn"