Thread: Help identifying Toledo Sword

Help identifying Toledo Sword

Hi!

I recently took a look at my sword I've had on my wall for years and figured it would be fun to see when and where it is from. I also thought about fixing it up so it would look all shiny, but read that that may be a bad idea if there's any value to it.

The sword comes from my great grandfather who traveled a lot around the world. On one side of the blade it says Toledo and on the other it says Made In Spain. I'd reckon it's at least 50 years old. It also has beautiful carvings into the bone (or whatever it is).

I hope someone here can help me with how old it is and if it is fake or real

One more thing; the sword is not sharp and it looks like it has never been sharpened.

It is really hard to say anyting based on your description without a photograph...
    "Please look in the encyclopedia and make a brief memorandum for me concerning the life of Correggio."
    Elbert Hubbard

Nakamura Ryu Batto Do, Order of Seven Hearts

Made in Spain dates it to at earliest the 20th century; without any signs of sharpening it is most likely a tourist piece and so made from mild steel and un tempered---I bought a couple like that back in the early '70's and learned enough that the next time I was in Toledo in the 1980's I was able to track down a high carbon hand forged sword that I bought from the swordsmith himself.
    Thomas Powers
    CoFounder of the Intergalactic Union of Bladesmiths
    "when you forge upon a star"---you better have your union card handy!

Which of these does it closest resemble?

There are a few more here, http://www.aceros-de-hispania.com/sw...ona-espada-cid the Toledo swords have evolved over time, I ran into a few in a theatre recently and was told they were for stage combat, I disassembled them all and showed them why they should never be used for anything more than wall hangers.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Jeff Ellis; 07-08-2011 at 01:36 AM.
    I like swords.

If you want to climb a mountain, begin at the top.

"Integrity, justice, courage, and action - without these, a person is of no consequence." - Don Nelson

learn the way to preserve rather than destroy.
    avoid rather than check, check rather than hurt, hurt rather than maim, maim rather than kill.
    for all life is precious, not one can be replaced.

Well if it dates back Colada and Tizona are a likely choice as they ahve been big in Toledo repro's for a long long time.

(and the ones I got had good sized tangs and no tack welded threaded ends on them...of course that was 30+ years ago...)
    Thomas Powers
    CoFounder of the Intergalactic Union of Bladesmiths
    "when you forge upon a star"---you better have your union card handy!