Thread: Blade ID - If you would be so kind, gentlemen!

Question Blade ID - If you would be so kind, gentlemen!

I used to work with a Marine for whom I did a pretty significant favor. In return he presented me with this dagger which he found laying amidst rubble-strewn streets during the invasion of Fallujah. He also gave me the accompanying paperwork certifying the blade as a legitimate "war trophy." We did some research and found - through Google Images - the same knife (in better condition) advertised as a jambiya. Recently my curiosity has been renewed however, I'm no longer able to find the site! Through my continued efforts I stumbled upon your forum and have been thoroughly impressed with your collective expertise. I thought I'd put it to the test and hopefully gain some insight on the origins of the relic sitting in my closet, wrapped in a pillow case!
    Attached Images Attached Images     

If I'm not mistaken this is a so-called Kurdish jambiya! Very good repousse work on silver. The Hijri date 1227 translates to 1812.

Heheh, that's impressive! I've been thinking of becoming a collector, but I'm afraid I'm a bit out of my league (I had to "dictionary.com" the word repousse)! Where did you come up with that "Hijri" date? Do you mean that somewhere in that design there are Arabic letters? All I see are little flowery shapes and doilies! Thanks for checking it out, by the way.

someone got a free burger

'...hopefully gain some insight on the origins of the relic sitting in my closet, wrapped in a pillow case...'

Pure poetry, we must admit... ;o)

JJ
    SI, SI
    NO, NON

This is exactly the reason why I will no longer offer any help to first time posters.

Ian

Good points guys and we can only really hope some that do actually have longer term interests in participating on boards at all.

While being vigilant, we have to be careful of not being vigilantes to a fault.

Cheers

GC

Quote Originally Posted by Glen C. View Post
    Good points guys and we can only really hope some that do actually have longer term interests in participating on boards at all.

Cheers

GC
    I've invested thousands of dollars into my reference library, as well as countless hours of my time to learn and understand the subject.
    There'll always be a kind soul here who will do free eBay attributions. But it ain't gonna be me.

Cheers

GC
    Glen,
    How many first time posters do we see return after getting the information they require? If these people had any interest in sword collecting they would have already bought books on the subject and done some of the research themselves. That is part of the enjoyment of our hobby after all. Whilst researching for information on your particular sword you also learn a lot about other swords along the way.

Ian

We've been down this road a number of times. If you want to discuss new member postings then lets continue the conversation here: http://www.swordforum.com/forums/sho...ngs&highlight=

Hi Ian, Dmitry

I read and know for a fact that 10% or less actually hang around with serious interests and others feel intimidated by the mob. We go around and around about the same thing in these discussions and are simply preaching to a choir. My post previously today was to underline that no one should be attacking new posters, whether they care to get involved or not.

Many of us have seen our thoughts transfered to Ebay and elsewhere and sometimes I hope these are from friends. Even you Dmitry, some time ago amending a sale regarding the Ali mark on a yataghan at my suggestion.

My post was to underline that some good people do show up here and hang around. I certainly don't expect all to do so. I know myself my own interests began here before starting a library.

Aside from response at all, there is a huge opportunity or disinterest in actually contributing to a board. Those options as well often much less than 10% of the more astute that have ever participated here

Cordially

Glen

Quote Originally Posted by J.G. Hopkins View Post
    We've been down this road a number of times. If you want to discuss new member postings then lets continue the conversation here: http://www.swordforum.com/forums/sho...ngs&highlight=
    Merge the two threads instead

Nah...

Many of us have seen our thoughts transfered to Ebay and elsewhere and sometimes I hope these are from friends. Even you Dmitry, some time ago amending a sale regarding the Ali mark on a yataghan at my suggestion.
    That wasn't me.

Anyway, I've already expressed my thoughts on the matter. I don't have anything to add to what I already wrote above.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmitry Z~G View Post
    That wasn't me.

Anyway, I've already expressed my thoughts on the matter. I don't have anything to add to what I already wrote above.
    Gosh

http://www.swordforum.com/forums/sho...light=yataghan

I stand corrected.
    In retrospect, I should have added that the yataghan was found in the bloody streets of Falujah, wrapped in a pillow case.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmitry Z~G View Post
    I stand corrected.
    In retrospect, I should have added that the yataghan was found in the bloody streets of Falujah, wrapped in a pillow case.
    You know what though Dmitry? Regardless of presentation, you have become one of the most peeminnet sellers on Ebay and have garnered more information on your own than many I know. I surely wouldn't go so far as parse all your sales and offer exception but I had also fairly recently sent an email (iirc, not any Ebay message)) noting a slip in ad copy continuity. It was more wondering if there was information I might benefit from or whether it had been a simple slip in the notes re the Ketland ensemble sale. It is the efforts of such sellers, collectors and forum contributors we can all benefit from in terms of information exchanges. To that end, I see items re-circulate and to an extent need to live and let live.

Cheers

GC

You know what though Dmitry? Regardless of presentation, you have become one of the most peeminnet sellers on Ebay and have garnered more information on your own than many I know.
    My blushes, Watson.
    I am not a maverick. I may have a remarkable visual memory for art objects [which slips on occasion, hence the yataghan, which was not an interesting object for me], but my reference library cost me more than 3 of my first cars - combined.
    I receive a fair number of emails asking to attribute this and that. After a while I have stopped responding to those inquiring about objects they have no idea about, and those who ask what things cost [usually one and the same]. It's become quite easy to weed out those who only want to pick my brains to help them sell, but the 'Falujah Dude' got me. Hat's off, Falujah Dude!
    If the forum starts charging a nominal attribution fee, I will play, for the greater good, etc. Otherwise - read above...

Once you get into esoteric subjects the cost of references tends to go up and hence the value of having people willing to share info that have them. Individual books in my library cost more than either of my first two cars; but an engineer I know once spent thousands of dollars on a book on mushrooms so I can't brag. I did notice when I last moved that my reference library replacement cost would be about $1000 a shelf; though many of the works I had gotten much cheaper in the pre-net days by visiting used bookstores in any town I was in including small rural towns.

If a person chooses to share their time and research is their choice. When you thrown your bread upon the waters sometimes seagulls will eat it; but sometimes you can make a difference to somebody. I have had people tell me that the reason they got into blacksmithing was that I was willing to share my information and skills with them when they were terribly green.

I would like to thank everyone on SFI who has helped people out because I learn things that I didn't even know that I didn't know. (And I date back to the WarAngel days)
    Thomas Powers
    CoFounder of the Intergalactic Union of Bladesmiths
    "when you forge upon a star"---you better have your union card handy!

Actually I also read 1227.

What intrigues me is the process that declares an object "legitimate war trophy". It sounds kind of unilateral (or unnecessary) contradiction in terms...
    La vida amable, el enemigo hombre fuerte, ordinario el peligro, natural la defensa, la Ciencia para conseguirla infalible, su estudio forçoso, y el exercicio necessario conviene al que huviere de ser Diestro, no ignore la teorica, para que en la practica, el cuerpo, el braço, y los instrumentos obren lo conveniente a su perfeccion. --Don Luis Pacheco de Narvaez.

Javier.
    "legitimate war trophy" might even be an oxymoron
    Niall Dignan

Quote Originally Posted by niall dignan View Post
    Javier.
    "legitimate war trophy" might even be an oxymoron
    This is kind of where the parallel thread about this item ended in the middle east section and the discussion ultimately closed, then removed. It is a shame when the politics of an item goes to the forefront of discussion. That escalated far beyond simply discussing the item as an object to study.

Cheers

GC

Lads, I apologize if my anger have led to the topic being closed. It was hard to keep holding my anger.

On the topic currently discussed, I say the best thing we can do is have an optimistic outlook. We can never know the intent of newcomers, some of them might be collectors and some of them might not. I'd rather help someone who is in for a free service then refuse to help someone who is indeed planning to collect.

When I first joined SFI, (few years ago) it took me a while to post anything, but the moment I bought my first sword I put it for discussion. From that, I used this forum and others as a source of knowledge that otherwise would have costed me extra by buying books.

Well, I guess we just need to grow a thicker skin perhaps

I first started to collect British swords as a schoolboy twenty two years ago when the internet did not exist and naturally was reduced in those days to write to interested parties and authorities in the UK and elsewhere for information on my pieces. (I am now 40 on the nose)

After a fifteen year absense in collecting the above, I have discovered this forum on British Swords and here I am humbly asking collectors on this forum about my acquistions. Because of such queries I have acquired some decent items from such people and value not only their knowledge, but their companionship and hopefully their friendship. Its the life blood of this hobby. To those who had turned inward and had voiced their disquiet of not helping newbies I say shame on you. We were all newbies once and if the people who helped us in the past to have us gain the knowledge we now have turned us down like some people on this thread are wishing to do, then where would we be now? Nowhere, and this forum and comaradie would not exist.

Thank god there are some thinking people here.