Thread: Need help: Rapier Toledo Spain (replica El Cid Colada?) from heritage

Question Need help: Rapier Toledo Spain (replica El Cid Colada?) from heritage

Hello everyone.
    I recently obtained a sword from a heritage and I'm trying to find more about it's origin, age, etc. I started inquiring at Sword Facts Benelux, have also contacted Swords From Spain & Swords From Toledo and the only clues I have so far is that it resembles El Cid Colada. I'm really hoping to find out more about it; maybe someone here will recognize it or help us to find out more... If there are any questions or request for extra photos, I'll check here daily.
    Thanks in advance,
    Angela
    Attached Images Attached Images      

It a piece made for tourists. Maybe one of your relatives was visiting Spain? I think Marto still makes and sells these now with stainless blades.
    "Please look in the encyclopedia and make a brief memorandum for me concerning the life of Correggio."
    Elbert Hubbard

Nakamura Ryu Batto Do, Order of Seven Hearts

Agreed. Sadly, several mass-producers currently offer the "El Cid Colada" sword (Marto is one of the larger manufacturers, but there are some others). Some are of better quality than others, but for the most part, these will be strictly wall-hangers only, and not for any kind of actual use. It may be from the tourist trade, or just as likely imported for sale in the US, in a cutlery, gift, or novelty shop. I used to have a similar version of the "Tizona" sword which I picked up in a local knife shop.

I'm sorry to say that this piece is probably not very old, and is not of much value or collector interest.
    David K. Wilson, Jr., Laird of Glencoe
    The best laid schemes o' mice an' men, gang aft agley... -- Robert Burns

See, it is I who created the blacksmith
    who fans the coals into flame
    and forges a weapon fit for its work.

-- Isaiah 54:16

Thumbs up

Thank you both. The sword certainly has an emotional value to us, but it's nice to get some clues as to where it came from. Again our thanks!
    Last edited by AngelaDeRuijter; 07-21-2011 at 03:05 AM.

There is much to be said for a blade that you can display in plain sight to recall to you the one who previously owned it rather than having a valuable blade that should be kept in a bank vault!
    Thomas Powers
    CoFounder of the Intergalactic Union of Bladesmiths
    "when you forge upon a star"---you better have your union card handy!

Thumbs up

Absolutely true Thomas, well said!

A similar sword

I posted a query about a similar, yet not similar sword back on June 23 or so. I see it below. Could one of you check it out and give me your assessment?

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Darmstaedter View Post
    I posted a query about a similar, yet not similar sword back on June 23 or so. I see it below. Could one of you check it out and give me your assessment?
    http://www.swordforum.com/forums/sho...h-sword-rapier