Thread: Help Identifying Swords...

Help Identifying Swords...

Hi everyone. I am hoping someone can help as I have tried a couple of places but no luck...I recently came across a pair of swords in my attic that belonged to my father. He passed away last year but he talked about the swords before and mentioned how he got them while he was a Marine during Vietnam. Now I dont know where he got them. for all I know he could have got them from anywhere I just know it was during the timeframe that he served.

I have been trying to get an appraisal for them or an idea of what they are worth but havent found anyone that can help. They have what looks like a wooden carved handle and a curved blade. On the blade are some waving lines. They are both in a leather case.

I have included pics, sadly they are from a cell phone but any help would be amazing. Just to be pointed in the right direction...

Thanks again.

anna
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Hi Anna

Welcome To Sword Forum International

I cannot be sure of a correct terminology for these, as they are somewhat modern and were sold as tourist items. Common names and types might be pedang, badik, espada, punal...etc There are lots of more local terminologies for similar blades. However, these really are only as old as when they were sold and value is probably more in the remembrance of a veteran and father. Real market value is probably pretty minimal and this board really isn't set up to do appraisals. That there are two, most identical, is also an easy clue as to value.

I have moved this inquiry over to another section where readers there may be more familiar with the general form. It is hard for me to say for sure where he may have bought them but no doubt one market or another either on leave or on his way home.

Cheers

Hotspur; even the real militaria from the Vietnam War era often has little material value

Thank you so much...what we wanted to do was put them on the wall with a plaque in honor of my dad, along with some of his other Marine things, but had no idea what they were. To me they are priceless. Thank you so much for your help

These are a type of bolo from the Island of Luzon in the Philippines. Yes these are sold to tourists.

Thank you again for your help. We were able to put together a nice collage of his things and memories for my mom.

I do have one more question...is this a place for antiques in general or just swords? I found a chandelier that I would like to get rewired but i have no clue about it and just trying to find a way to get info on it.

Thank you all again so much!

Anna

Hi Anna, we are not a general purpose venue for identification and discussion of the overall antique market and collecting. The sections here discussing swords and to some extent history are pretty well defined.

This site has never been a do all Antiques r Us id and repair/conservation venue. However, there is occasional discussion in the Nelson Pub off topic area. For instance I once posted a question about a spoon and more recently mentioned my guitars. Someone reading about your chandelier might answer you with tips in that section.

The main index
    http://www.swordforum.com/forums/forum.php

A link to the pub
    http://www.swordforum.com/forums/for...rms-Family-Pub

Cordially

Glen