Thread: Tsuka Maki practioners

Tsuka Maki practioners

I decided to put it out there that I'm looking for someone who would be willing to perform a tsuka maki service for me. I have done a couple myself but am not yet good enough for what I believe is "show" quality or good enough to practice with regularly. I would like a Katate maki (battle) style wrapping on an 11" tsuka. Ito and Koshirae would be provided and i would reuse the samegawa panels that I've lacquered black. If anyone is willing to help me with this let me know. Thanks!

edit: I should add that I'm obviously willing to pay for the service
    Last edited by Braden A.; 08-10-2011 at 05:31 PM.
    "For I am Braden, King of cretins. May all lesser cretins bow before me."

Contact Aaron Justice. He's an active member on this forum. YOu can find his website here: http://www.justice-armory.com
    There's always Fred Lohman: http://www.japanese-swords.com/
    The lesser known Josh Marlan: http://cottontailcustoms.com/Home
    and many more...

Thanks J ... I already know of Aaron and Fred. I'm currently saving them for my last options do to price (college kills me). That's why I made this post to see if there was anyone new or something a little less expensive. I know they both do AMAZING work and I may have to bite the bullet and pony up the money but, you know, I figured I'd look elsewhere first. I did not however know of Josh. I'll contact him, thank you.

I had Fred do a black leather tsukamaki job on a katana of mine a year ago and the turn around was fast and he did an amazing job. I know price is an issue but when I was researching the work I found that his service only really costs about $100 and that includes shipping. He charges about $195 total for a handle wrap but when I was pricing out quality ito the ito itself was over $100! So Fred was pretty reasonable at $195 with shipping and he answers his e-mail and doesn't have a waiting list.

Ito certainly does not cost $100. Unless you're wrapping a nagamaki?
    Certified nerd; if you need an Excel sheet or an AutoCAD drawing done, just drop me a PM!

Quality leather ito certainly does.

Average handle is what... 12 inches? (mine was 12 and a half) Many say you need a foot per inch you want to wrap and you want to have a couple of feet extra for the end knot so lets say 14 feet at about $5 per foot comes to $70 and you need to pay for shipping on top of that. So yeah, "ABOUT $100" depending on what quality stuff you want to wrap it with. It was awhile ago but I was pricing out some leather wrap from Japan and it was over $5 per foot and shipping from Japan was pricey. I think Fred's stuff is from Japan as well or it's just some quality wrap of his own.

All I know is I wanted to save some money and wrap my handle myself but after I priced the ito I figured I'd just pay the extra $100 and have someone who knows what they're doing wrap it for me.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I meant that ito doesn't cost that much to LohmanCo, or anyone else who does more than odd one-off wrap (well except maybe Ted Tenold, his doeskin is in a class of it's own).

And if you want to split hairs, "ito" refers to string (meaning cotton or silk wrap), while leather in this context is called "tsukagawa".
    Certified nerd; if you need an Excel sheet or an AutoCAD drawing done, just drop me a PM!

Maybe you should think about it more than just cost...

Do it on the cheap now by someone who has no idea what they are doing... and it probably will not be done right and might arrive ugly and fall appart with sustained use unless its been epoxied together in which case... well you get the point.

Get someone who knows what their doing to do it right and it will save you headache and grief down the road. Not to mention having to pay someone the proper amount down the road anyway.
    "Please look in the encyclopedia and make a brief memorandum for me concerning the life of Correggio."
    Elbert Hubbard

Nakamura Ryu Batto Do, Order of Seven Hearts

Christopher, I understand what your saying and I totally intended to find someone that knew what they were doing but was hoping to find someone that was willing to do it cheaper maybe. I mean hey, before I went back to school, I was, well I guess still am cause it's not like school takes that away from me, but I was a certified master automotive technician. I have a college degree in it and pretty much EVERY certificate you can imagine. Point being is I work on cars for people for extremely cheap prices in my garage and I like to think that I'm pretty damned good "toot toot" lol

well, why not post something in the classifieds... trade car work for tsuka maki job etc never know what will come of it... There is probably some one up in NY that can give you a hand and might need something fixed on their car...
    "Please look in the encyclopedia and make a brief memorandum for me concerning the life of Correggio."
    Elbert Hubbard

Nakamura Ryu Batto Do, Order of Seven Hearts

hmm ... possibly ... guess it couldnt hurt. Swords aren't very popular in this ... well anywhere I've lived in NY. Never really gave it a second thought that there might be someone else around here with the same interest. most people think my blades are "cool" yet at the same time think it's a little weird I take them so seriously

Hey Braden! Think the going rate for a truly quality job is going to run around $195. IF your looking for someone close by you should contact Moses at http://www.nihontoantiques.com/ . Hes amazing and located on Long Island! Maybe that next lube job you do should cost an extra couple of $$$. Tom Buck is also quite good... hes out of MN. Hes done a few jobs for me... The single picture is a Nihonto done by Moses and the two others are done by Tom.

Hi Braden,
    I live in Australia and when i decided to customize tsuka's the biggest problem i found was the price of rayskin! I eventualy found somewhere to get reasonable quality & size rayskin under $100. I could at least 3 to 4 tsuka's from it.
    But I suppose it depends on what kind of sword you want to spend the money on? Antique or Modern production Katana. For modern Katana's you could just do what I did, & keep practicing doing tsuka maki yourself. I ended up making Blades as well!

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]