Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for a good $400 sword for cutting and kata.

I would avoid the Cheness stuff. The gernal consesus these days, is that you can do better for the money. I've read lots of good things about the middle range KC stuff, as an overall cutting sword. Dynasty Forge makes good stuff, but not sure if they are back in production yet. I heard they were offline for a while, but check out their site and find out. The suggestion of a low end Hanwei, like one of the practicals, is not bad. Many have started there and they seem to hold up over the time. I know someone that used theirs for constant practice, and only after a few years, did the ito come loose and start to unravel. By that time, can save up and get it rewrapped, or as the other poster said, use the spare money to get rewrapped right off. The Hanwei Raptors are supposedly pretty good swords as well, with usual Hanwei quality. The downside on those I've read, is that the tsuka is not the greatest shape.

Yeah I've decided not to go with cheness. AS for KC I quite liked the KATANA 29-A and was going to buy it but my Sensei said it was too thin and would bend badly. Dynasty Forge is a little to expensive. Right not I'm seriously considering the raptors, and yeah I've read about the handles being too long ( is that what you meant?). I have someone who can shorten the handles down for me which was my only problem with them. I also don't like that the raptor doesnt have a hamon. The raptor in question I'm looking at is the Raptor Shobu Zukuri.

Can anyone give me their impression of this sword by Huawei. The good and the bad.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FUNCTIONAL-L...ht_7278wt_1396

If a KC would take a bend that would be the first one I've heard of.. the only bad comment I've heard of a Kris-blade is from 2003-2004! Even if you'd manage to bend one, it should straighten out just fine.

Too bad there are no Masahiro Bamboo's around anymore, that was some serious bang-for-buck (provided that you remount the blade)..

BTW, discussion about live auction items is not allowed on the forum
    Last edited by Timo Qvintus; 08-25-2011 at 06:47 AM.
    Certified nerd; if you need an Excel sheet or an AutoCAD drawing done, just drop me a PM!

Quote Originally Posted by Timo Qvintus View Post

BTW, discussion about live auction items is not allowed on the forum
    Oh my mistake. Can I send PMs to other members asking about live auction items?

You can pretty much talk about whatever you want through private chat ... as long as the other person doesn't have problem with it obviously
    "For I am Braden, King of cretins. May all lesser cretins bow before me."

What I meant about the Raptor tsuka is that they are shaped like an axe handle, to coin the phrase. They are not waisted, or follow the curve of the blade. I have not heard about them being extra long to annoy anyone enough to get it shortened. They are indeed through hardened, so no hamon, but that's part of their design. To be a tough blade that can handle bad cuts, especially from beginners.

I don't know anything about that specific blade you linked, but I have heard both good and bad about the brand in general. Usually they are known for being a decent sword for the price, but nothing super spectactular.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12