Thread: Modern Short sword

Modern Short sword

This is a prototype of a new Tactical Shortsword that I will be making. The blade is differentially-tempered 5160 spring steel, handle scales are cocobolo. I imagine that most customers will prefer this with a Black Oxide finish and synthetic scales.
    Overall Length: 21-3/4 inches
    Blade Length: 16 inches
    Blade width @ Base: 1-1/4 inches
    Blade Width 6 inches from point: 1-3/8 inches
    Blade Thickness @ Base: 1/4 inch
    Blade Thickness 1 inches from Point: 3/32 inch
    Hilt Overall Length: 5-3/4 inches
    Center of Gravity: 2 inches from base of blade
    Weight: 20 oz. (1-1/4 pounds)
    The full-length distal taper makes this sword lighter and handier than you might expect. The handle is ergonomically designed for comfort, grip retention and intuitive handling. The 5160 spring-steel blade features a cannel grind and design which makes for impressive cutting power- but don't take my word for it...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6AM2rI7Qfc
    As mentioned above the sword will be available in a Black Oxide finish or as shown with a Bright finish and exotic hardwood or G10 scales.
    Tinkerswords.com Fine knives, swords and daggers in the style of the European Middle Ages and Viking Era

"Then, one night as my car was going backwards through a cornfield an ninety miles per hour, I had an epiphany..."

Luke 22:36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Very neat and agile looking. Is that like a falcata-khukuri mix happening there? Either way, super tempting.
    "It is my feeling that to make a good sword, one must make a weapon first, and art second. But if it is really "right", it is both things at once, and in equal measure." -- Howard Clark

"I cannot compensate for improper use of a sword. Nothing is bullet proof and idiots prove on a regular basis that nothing is idiot-proof -- they're just too creative." -- Keith Larman

Curiously the initial inspiration was a Yataghan; but of the course of a half-dozen sketches or so it evolved into this, with elements od the falcata and filipino weapons combined. In the end there are just so many good shapes for a given task... regardless I am very happy with the results!
    Tinkerswords.com Fine knives, swords and daggers in the style of the European Middle Ages and Viking Era

"Then, one night as my car was going backwards through a cornfield an ninety miles per hour, I had an epiphany..."

Luke 22:36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Blog Entries
    Very cool Michael, I dig it alot! Def looks like it could do a great job for any need.
    "Ah, the old disco room.......just as I left it!" Cassanova Frankenstein

"It's all about having a good time!" Ricky Martin

"We are number one....all others are number two or lower!" The Sphinx

"Let me put my poems in you!" Chazz Micheal Micheals

www.odinblades.com

Good vid Michael! The cutting power of this design seems all out of proprtion for the sizes of blade. It is a blade style that constantly bounces around in my mind. Too much goodness. Keep on with this inspiration!

That looks really neat. Any chance of making something even a little bigger...like a 19" to 23" blade versus the 16"? Just my own personal preferences...
    When life hands you lemons, add ice, vodka, sugar water and shake vigorously.

Wellllll.... how can I say this without sounding like a real turd...

Blade is VERY well done - grip is attactive.... but it sort of looks like a high end machette. Nothing wrong with that - these things work well. If the blade were curved a bit upward toward the top front (less functional, more artistic?)... I think the machette look would go away, and this would become something much more desirable? Please forgive me - offered as one opinion, by one person... does not make the opinion fact.

DFMarino

Welcome To Sword Forum International

Observations and influences can be valid across a broad range of perceptions. Me? I would hardly regard this one as a short sword but there has a been a perpetual discussion about what length might qualify a blade as a sword. Likewise as what might describe or qualify a machete.

Is a machete a sword? Sure, why not? Does the piece appear to have been influenced by a number of types of blades? Well, he mentioned a yataghan. In my own perspective regarding it not really fitting any of the categories. Then again, I would probably not describe the old hook snout woodsman's Pal as a machete, per se but would certainly be regarded by most as one.

Down the road of folly in buying old swords, a little loved yataghan pined away on a dealer site. When I called to order the piece, the phone rep started describing "ya, the machete like thing" (Texas). Once in hand, it did look like it had spent some of its life in just such a utility.

There are endless opportunities to have exactly what one wants to have then be made. Sometimes even see them put into production and labeled just as they prefer to name it. The Condor Brush Cutlass as an example. I want one in euclid green

Cheers

Hotspur; Contrary to common sense, I actually label a one handed medieval reproduction as my brush hog but for nothing more than light cane and vines.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Glen C.; 09-02-2011 at 05:14 PM.

I'd love to handle this one to get a sense of its balance. The profile looks really slick (like a shark). As far as grip material, I think the wood has good eye appeal...

I like it.

Dave
    Dave Drawdy
    "the artist formerly known as Sergeant Major"

Glen- that is a lovely Yataghan!
    What makes a sword a sword and not a big knife? I've never really been able to put my finger on it but to me this one is a sword. This one differs in a number of respects from a machete though, the first being in the full-length distal taper and the ergonomics that center the point for thrusting. In appearance and function it's the bastard off-spring of a bizarre love-triangle between a copis, a yataghan and a barong. No worries- design a blade for a specific function or functions and it is bound to look like something that has come before before. There are just so many shapes that work for a given job.

Currently I have two of these available. The third (the original) is with Steven Dick of Tactical Knives Magazine for evaluation; I'm looking forward to seeing what he makes of it!