Thread: Hanwei Alloy Blades and Bugei Swords

Hanwei Alloy Blades and Bugei Swords

I have a question starting off with the new Bugei swords, made with that new alloy. For example the Old Pine katana. So if anyone has one of those, I'd like to hear. I'm curious how the niku on that sword is compared to the other Bugei. I know for example the Samurai model is their heaviest sword out of the bunch, and the Dragonfly is the lightest. So where in comparrison would the Old Pine come in?

Also, I have not heard or read anywhere if the Bugei swords are a full same wrap. I always assumed so, for the price and QC they do on their swords, but can't find anything stating one way or the other. So does anyone know if they are full wrap?

Now onto my question about the new Hanwei alloy blades. Does anyone know if the one used in the Bugei swords, is the same blade used in the Hanwei swords, like the Bamboo Mat and Lion Dog? I know the sword overall is different and the QC that Bugei swords go through. But I'm just curious if the bare blades themselves are the same. Or are the ones used in Bugei swords of different geometry and dimensions?

Thanks

I've called Bugei many times, specifically asking questions regarding their Peace katana. I know that, at least for the Peace, they use panels. With that knowledge, I would assume the rest are panels as well.

"The thoroughly modern high alloy steel katana has light niku but is of moderate weight and dimensions with an extended chu kissaki and moderate sori.", this is taken directly from Bugei's page on the Old Pine.

The forge that makes Hanwei's blades, also makes Bugei's. Yes, you're correct that the QC is different, but the same forge does the construction. That said, the Bugei Old Pine and Hanwei Lion Dog, use the same HWS-1 steel. The Hanwei Bamboo Mat uses HWS-2
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." -Friedrich Nietzsche, 1886

If you require a full wrap, you can talk to Susanne and ask her if she can have a full wrap done on it, this will cost you a bit more, however. You'll get a much nicer wrap, though, as it will be done aftermarket by some really talented people.
    I like swords.

If you want to climb a mountain, begin at the top.

"Integrity, justice, courage, and action - without these, a person is of no consequence." - Don Nelson

learn the way to preserve rather than destroy.
    avoid rather than check, check rather than hurt, hurt rather than maim, maim rather than kill.
    for all life is precious, not one can be replaced.

Gyan,
    Look up posts by "Keith Larman" about "Bugei" in the "Advanced Search" option. This should answer any, and all, of your questions.
    I like swords.

"Integrity, justice, courage, and action - without these, a person is of no consequence." - Don Nelson

avoid rather than check, check rather than hurt, hurt rather than maim, maim rather than kill.

Thanks for the info guys. I hadn't noticed the slight difference in steels between the Lion Dog and Bamboo Mat. Wonder what exactly makes that difference up, at a metalurgical level. Good to know you have the option to request things like full wrap from Bugei, good to know.
    I have done the search on Kieth's posts, and read his review of the Old Pine and others. Lots of great info, but as I said, nothing about the same though.

I'm really curious about the difference of HWS-1 and HWS-2. Because for the prices between the swords, I would rather pick up a Bamboo Mat and have it sent for a new tsuka made to fit, full wrap and and nice tsuka ito done. I like the Old Pine fittings OK, but I really like the stuff on the Bamboo Mat.

Actually, Bugei has their own forum as well. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post a link to a retailer's forum, but here it is: http://www.swordforumbugei.com/
    I like swords.