Thread: new book: The Art of the Japanese Sword, by Kapp, Kapp, and Yoshihara

new book: The Art of the Japanese Sword, by Kapp, Kapp, and Yoshihara

pre-publication copies of a new book, The Art of the Japanese Sword, by well-known authors Leon and Hiroko Kapp, and Yoshindo Yoshihara were on display at SF Token Kai this year.

it is a beautiful, coffee-table sized book that goes over the process of making a sword from start to finish. kind of an updated version of their classic book "The Craft of the Japanese Sword," but not actually a revision -- it's a totally different book. there are LOTS of high quality pictures -- in comparison, it's somewhat light on text.

anyway, i am in no way whatsoever connected to the sales or profits surrounding this release, but wanted to pass along the information for those interested. the book is available for "pre-order" at a (supposedly) discounted price of USD $55 (compared to $75 retail). i just ordered my copy (note that you have to click on the "$" sign to access the USD price).

http://www.theartofthejapanesesword.com/book.php

my copy finally arrived! at first glance, it looks like a great book -- good pictures, good information, and good quality. pretty light on history and appreciation of antiques, but the best all around "how a samurai sword is made" book out there.

i notice the italian publisher linked above increased the price to the $75 retail amount, but then i also found out that Tuttle is going to release it in the U.S. in september for only $32! if only i'd known... oh well, for $20-30 more, at least i have it now, in time to get it signed by yoshindo and the kapps at token kai in august.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Art-Japane...dp/4805312408/

Tuttle

If you order it from Tuttle and use the promotional code "BLADE", you can buy it NOW for $29.95, unless the promotional is no longer valid. It was promoted at the BLADE Show in Atlanta and everyone was given a voucher to purchase it online at the discounted price with the above code. It is, like Joe said, a little light on some things. However, the photographs and quality make it a nice book to own. I think the Tuttle book is a bit smaller than the Italian version, a fairly substantial and impressive book with presence. It is 9" X 13" for the Tuttle, or close to that. Worth every penny. And I ordered mine on June 13th and received it on the 19th.

Shannon

I have this book. Trust me..you need this book!

It is that good. Lots of gorgeous color photos. Great text. It covers the entire process from making the steel to finishing the shirasaya. I cannot enough good things about this book.

YOU NEED THIS BOOK!
    YEA, no longer unemployed....I have transitioned my 15 years of Architecture & Engineering experience into a new Project Manager position in Atlanta, GA

Blog Entries
    We will actually be posting a review of this book in a day or two - just waiting for scans from Tuttle. Stay tuned...
    mark@swordforum.com

~ Hostem Hastarum Cuspidibus Salutemus ~

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who don't."
    Benjamin Franklin

Sounds great Mark, it will be nice to see how this will be different from The Craft of the Japanese Sword. Well as I'm a sucker for sword books I'll probably get this sometime anyway...
    Jussi Ekholm

Quote Originally Posted by Jussi Ekholm View Post
    Sounds great Mark, it will be nice to see how this will be different from The Craft of the Japanese Sword. Well as I'm a sucker for sword books I'll probably get this sometime anyway...
    there is less text overall than COTHJS. this is more of a picture book -- way more pictures and all in color -- though there is still a lot of good text info in it. i'll be writing a review on amazon once it's available.

at $30-32, well worth the price.

Hi Joe,

I have been meaning to post here regarding the new book. I have been reading through my copy and it is nothing short of fantastic.
    As you mentioned, book is called The Art of the Japanese Sword. It was written by Yoshindo Yoshihara and Leon and Hiroko Kapp. I believe it is due to be out in September. I feel the book is the best yet covering the subject of Japanese sword smithing. It delves deeper into all aspects touched on in the “The Craft” and other yet mentioned. The book is in large format and the interesting and educational text and supported by a wealth of stunning, all color photography masterly taken by Aram Compeau. I know how hard they worked in putting this book together. I think their efforts will be evident to all who read it. For those with an interest in Nihonto or swordsmithing, I couldn’t recommend this book more.
    The producer is Paolo Saviolo of Saviolo Publishing House, Italy.

I am guilty of not checking replies to postings at times, so I apologize in advance for slow or absent replies. Those with questions or comments may also contact me direct by email.

Regards

Anthony

www.sukemitsu.com
    Last edited by Anthony DiCristofano; 07-29-2012 at 09:40 AM.

The book is now available on Amazon for $29.91.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/480...r_mts_prod_img

I posted my review... please check it out and give me a "helpful" vote if you'd like.
    Last edited by Joe Pierre; 08-12-2012 at 07:37 PM.