Thread: Mystery Kukri

Mystery Kukri

We have inherited this kukri in a situation where we don't know it's origin, age, or value. There were two possible sources. One was a well-traveled WWII service man, who may have acquired it directly in theater. This doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't of earlier vintage.

The other was a person known to have an interest in knives, though there were no other knives of unusual types found there.

The picture shows this kukri and it's two smaller knives. The handles appear to be of a dense wood, but the two smaller ones smell rather pungent for wood. Construction is obvious, with the following notes - The blade is not bent, but has two different sheens giving that appearance in the photo. The machining of the grooves is very crude. "India" is at the base of the blade, with an arrow next to it pointing down the blade. The rivets and butt are well formed but slightly crude. There is some slight roughness on the opposite side of the blade from "India", but I can't make out any real markings, or say whether there are any there. These may be just scratches, or remains of removed marks.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Most likely source was the knife collector rather than the veteran. The kukri is patterned after World War II MkIII kukris. However the markings, scabbard design/materials and build quality indicate post-WWII manufacture for the export market. "India" markings only appear after independence, i.e., post 1947, on items intended for export. The broad arrow stamp is an indication of British government ownership, i.e., pre-1947. The two markings are mutually exclusive, and when found together the spurious arrow is fairly conclusive evidence of the manufacturer's intent to deceive. This pattern of kukri is still being widely made and sold; Google "genuine Gurkha Regimental kukri" for an indication of current retail prices.

I should point out the Indian army adopted & used the broad arrow mark for many decades after the Brits. left ,on thier legitamate army kukris as well, but would not carry the word India, but as Berk says the Arrow mark combined with the word India is an intent to decieve.

Spiral

Mystery Kukri

Thanks to all for the quick and knowledgeable responses. I presume the value to be maybe $125, though we have no intent to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Davis View Post
    Thanks to all for the quick and knowledgeable responses. I presume the value to be maybe $125, though we have no intent to sell.
    Atlanta cutlery sell them for under $40 each, brand new.

Spiral