Thread: Looking for very specific katana

Question Looking for very specific katana

Dear swordforum community

I have asked for advise here a few times before, and every time I recieved all I needed, hopefully this time will be no exception (even though I realise my current request is much harder).

I am looking for a modern production katana that is as similar as possible to a very specific nihon-to. The specifications are the following:

Code:
    刃長 Blade length(HA-CHOU) - 70.5cm(ニ尺三寸二分)

反り Curvature(SORI) - 1.3cm

元幅 Width at the hamachi(MOTO-HABA) - 3.36cm

元重 Thickness at the Moto Kasane - 0.61cm

鎬重 Shinogi - 0.65cm	

先幅 Sakihaba - 2.55cm	

先重 Sakikasane - 0.46cm
    I do realise that there will be no sword just like this, but what I am looking for is a sword that is as close as possible.

Best wishes
    András

Note: I'm planning to post this request on multiple forums, please do not be offended by this.

Land of Sun and Stone, where the Free dwell...
    By the format of your specs, it seems to me you want something that looks like an e-sword.jp blade. A link to the specific blade would help a bit...
    Daring beyond power, risking against prudent advice and optimists in danger...
    Thucydides

Land of Sun and Stone, where the Free dwell...
    After a quick search the link for the sword in search is probably http://www.e-sword.jp/sale/2009/0910_1086syousai.htm

Here is a link with various sword measurements http://toyamaryu.org/SwordMeasurements.htm (an inch is 2.54 cm). Without looking it would seem to me that a mas-boutuken sword would be close...

Hope that was of some help...
    Daring beyond power, risking against prudent advice and optimists in danger...
    Thucydides

Dear John Coris

The specs I posted are from a nihon-to made around year 1700, it is my sensei's sword, as such I can not give you a link to it.

Thank you for the link you provided, I will look it through

EDIT:

After a quick search, I found that the katana "Hanwei Practical Light Katana" is the closest on that list I could find. I made a note from this sword and it will be in my list of the possible blades to choose from (still looking for alternatives with very similar specifications).
    Last edited by Lieber András; 09-24-2011 at 11:42 AM.

The practical light is a decent sword, but I would suggest you keep your search on for something higher grade. Check things on Bugei, check things on Dynasty Forge, look at the charts supplied.

Is there a specific reason other than it being the same as your sensei's sword that you are looking for this? would you be able to do with something that is close enough but worth the price? I'm wondering if you're not looking for a custom sword. Keep in mind that your sensei's sword is from the 1700's and has been polished, thereby changed, in the past 300 years. It was beefier when it began, and if you find the right smith, you could have what it was originally.
    I like swords.

If you want to climb a mountain, begin at the top.

"Integrity, justice, courage, and action - without these, a person is of no consequence." - Don Nelson

learn the way to preserve rather than destroy.
    avoid rather than check, check rather than hurt, hurt rather than maim, maim rather than kill.
    for all life is precious, not one can be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Ellis View Post
    The practical light is a decent sword, but I would suggest you keep your search on for something higher grade. Check things on Bugei, check things on Dynasty Forge, look at the charts supplied.

Is there a specific reason other than it being the same as your sensei's sword that you are looking for this? would you be able to do with something that is close enough but worth the price? I'm wondering if you're not looking for a custom sword. Keep in mind that your sensei's sword is from the 1700's and has been polished, thereby changed, in the past 300 years. It was beefier when it began, and if you find the right smith, you could have what it was originally.
    Dear Jeff Ellis

The reason why I am looking for a sword like I described above, is the feel I got from trying it. There are three of this type of nihon-to-s being used in our dojo, all made a long time ago by different smiths (do not know the specifics of the other swords), but all share the same features; most importantly the relatively small nagasa and sori. These are the two key points I am looking for. You are most likeley right in your assumption that these blades changed over the years, however the current state they are in is what I like about them (never really thought about how they used to be before).

Of course diffrences in width of a few mm are acceptable, just want to get as close as I can. Only problem is that most forges do not go into detail of the blades they sell (most likeley because they differ each time), so it is really hard for me to know the specifics of a blade. I did contact some of the forges, will see how it turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coris View Post
    After a quick search the link for the sword in search is probably http://www.e-sword.jp/sale/2009/0910_1086syousai.htm
    Dear John Coris

Somehow I missed this the first time, but on a second look it probably is the very same katana from which I have the measurements. If it inded is the same blade, it has been completely re-mounted.

Lieber, if I may call you by your first name,
    Something else you may consider is weight, and how it is placed in the sword that you are trying to find a copy of. You can find a sword that matches the exact dimensions and weight and everything, but if it's mounted slightly different, or if there happens to be a bit more weight in the tip of the original, the copy won't be the same.

http://japanesesword.com/ is another option. Al Tan sells antiques.
    I like swords.

"Integrity, justice, courage, and action - without these, a person is of no consequence." - Don Nelson

avoid rather than check, check rather than hurt, hurt rather than maim, maim rather than kill.

The reason why I am looking for a sword like I described above, is the feel I got from trying it.
    I have to interject a bit here. You are NOT going to be able to get the same feel from any production blade as you do from a nihonto. The sword is much, much more than just the dimensions of the blade. There are a great many small things that go into making a good sword, and the vast majority of these are missing from production blades. Small changes in angles, and small distributions in weight make a large difference in the feel of a sword.
    Paul Smith
    "Keep the sharp side and the
    pointy end between you and
    your opponent"

You are right. The idea is, if you hold an identical copy of the original sword, the feel is the same. Of course such a thing does not exist, so there will be a diffrence, but the key features like the blade length and curvature influence the feel greatly and these are the features I am looking for in a new sword. I plan to get in touch with sinosword and see what they can do about this, will see how it turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by Lieber András View Post
    You are right. The idea is, if you hold an identical copy of the original sword, the feel is the same. Of course such a thing does not exist, so there will be a diffrence, but the key features like the blade length and curvature influence the feel greatly and these are the features I am looking for in a new sword. I plan to get in touch with sinosword and see what they can do about this, will see how it turns out.
    That sounds like the best option to go with given your apparent acceptable range on tolerances the blade can have. I believe what you'll end up finding is something that you are happy with that is but isn't quite the same.
    I like swords.