Thread: Tozando German-made shinken

Tozando German-made shinken

I am looking for information about the shinken from tozando, preferably the carbon steel line. Most important is balance, fit&finish, and pictures. It will be used for iaido practice.
    Up until now I couldn't find any information about it... Also, information about other shinken will be appreciated (heard good things about nine-circles).

Really? No one? I've expected at least some of you bought\handled\ have seen some...

I own a Nine Circles shinken, 2.4 shaku with bo-hi and I'm very pleased with it. I would hazard a guess that it's sourced from Kaneie, the fit & finish is very good, within it's price range (compared to equivelent priced Hanwei products that I own) the tsuka is much better than the axe handles from Hanwei, fit to the saya, on mine at least, was very good.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

I have one of the Tozando/german made cutting swords. The balance, fittings, and overall craftsmanship are great. My main issues that I have is the bohi is like what you would find on a iaito, meaning the hi does not run under the habaki but stops a couple of inches short like a iaito. The other issue I have, is after about a year of use, the tsuka is making a creaking noise. The blade isn't moving in the tsuka, but the ito seems to be making the noise. So I'm probably looking at getting it rewrapped. For Iaido though it is a very well balanced sword.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Magaard View Post
    My main issues that I have is the bohi is like what you would find on a iaito, meaning the hi does not run under the habaki but stops a couple of inches short like a iaito.
    Just curious. Why would that be an issue. As fas as I understand, it is one of the historical correct types of bo-hi. In fact, I wish more production companies make them.

Another question, does your blade have a geometric yokote? I bought a shinken from Tozando sister company, Nishijin, and the yokote is cosmetic. Other than that, the fit and finish is good -- better than Hanwei of equivalance price.

B. Magaard, thanks for the input. Do you mind uploading pictures of your sword? How often did you use it during the year?

i handled one of their swords and was pretty much impressed,well balanced,nice fittings,
    only issue - the polish look decent

"Decent"= not that great?

yes for me it was only decent, the sword was about 1000$,
    (which is also the current price for a custom carbon steel katana)
    for that i expect a hybrid like polish but it was more like a mirror polish

My bohi comment was just my personal preference. You are correct, it's not a "issue" as in being faulty. I'm not sure what you mean by geometric or cosmetic yokote? I practice Iai 2-3 times a week 2 hour long classes. The particular model that I bought was their series one step below their tamahagane line. My sword doesn't have a mirror polish, you can make out the hamon and it's similiar polish to the ones you find on swordstore's steel iaito. The other thing I forgot to mention, was it took them about three months longer than what I was originially told. Tozando did do a good job at answering my emails and putting me at ease about the longer than expected production time. I'll see about getting some pictures taken.

Thx Magaard. That is also the amount of my iai, so good to know how it holds up in those conditions. The model I'm aiming for is the carbon steel non-folded, one level beneath yours I believe.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but aren't Tozando's shinken made by WKC Solingen?

no they are not made by WKC,
    they only import blades from one of the better chinese forges

Quote Originally Posted by Marco Hansen View Post
    no they are not made by WKC,
    they only import blades from one of the better chinese forges
    That's odd, the Tozando website clearly states that the blades are made in Germany. However, I can't imagine them being made by WKC as I was extremely unimpressed by the steel and balance of their swords.
    https://www.facebook.com/TheSamuraiWorkshop - Custom sword mounts, restoration, Kaneie shinken and a whole lot more about Japanese history and martial arts culture

...because spending hundreds of dollars on something that can cost you your life is worth spending more than thirty minutes of thought on.
    Originally Posted by Brian Pettett

def not made by WKC, WKC does the QC

I can't imagine them being made by WKC as I was extremely unimpressed by the steel and balance of their swords. From post by J. Ching

Is there anyone around who has been able to compare the Tozando 'German' blades to say- Bugei?
    My guess is that you are reading this in English on a computer of some sort and if that is the case I hate to be the one to tell you but you will never be a samurai nor a ninja, any more than you may apply to become a 12th century French Knight or an Emporer of China. Some jobs are simply no longer hiring.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Lones View Post
    Is there anyone around who has been able to compare the Tozando 'German' blades to say- Bugei?
    Bugei is high end Hanwei.

Who makes these blades? I thought Fred Chen at first... It looks a lot like stuff from Fred's forge.
    Last edited by Jeff Ellis; 10-23-2011 at 12:24 AM.
    I like swords.

If you want to climb a mountain, begin at the top.

"Integrity, justice, courage, and action - without these, a person is of no consequence." - Don Nelson

learn the way to preserve rather than destroy.
    avoid rather than check, check rather than hurt, hurt rather than maim, maim rather than kill.
    for all life is precious, not one can be replaced.

yes most likely Fred Chen or Kaneie

Quote Originally Posted by Marco Hansen View Post
    yes most likely Fred Chen or Kaneie
    I can confirm it's not Kaneie as they have a completely difference steel, polish and mounting style.
    To be honest I'm also not that impressed with the tsukamaki on the German made Tozando swords, definitely not made according to Japanese standards.

Fred could make the steel but also huanuo isn't that known for mounting up to JP par.
    https://www.facebook.com/TheSamuraiWorkshop - Custom sword mounts, restoration, Kaneie shinken and a whole lot more about Japanese history and martial arts culture

...because spending hundreds of dollars on something that can cost you your life is worth spending more than thirty minutes of thought on.
    Originally Posted by Brian Pettett

the tsukamaki on the Tozando swords is ok,
    the swords offered from WKC have a horrible tsukamaki for what they cost

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Ching View Post
    I can confirm it's not Kaneie as they have a completely difference steel, polish and mounting style.
    To be honest I'm also not that impressed with the tsukamaki on the German made Tozando swords, definitely not made according to Japanese standards.

Fred could make the steel but also huanuo isn't that known for mounting up to JP par.
    Yet everything about this sword screams "Fred Chen." Remember, his factory does improve their work every few years.
    I like swords.

If you want to climb a mountain, begin at the top.

"Integrity, justice, courage, and action - without these, a person is of no consequence." - Don Nelson

learn the way to preserve rather than destroy.
    avoid rather than check, check rather than hurt, hurt rather than maim, maim rather than kill.
    for all life is precious, not one can be replaced.