Thread: Buy Iaito Custom Katana

Buy Iaito Custom Katana

Dear Swordforum

Does anyone have experience with the custom folded series IV from Buy Iato?

http://www.buyiaito.com/folded-steel...katana-iv.html

I thank you for your help in advance.

Sincerely
    Bill Sheehan

Land of Sun and Stone, where the Free dwell...
    Although, I am amost sure it has been discussed again in the past, I 'd say that there are better stuff out there...
    Daring beyond power, risking against prudent advice and optimists in danger...
    Thucydides

No clue, but I think there are better options for that amount. What did you have in mind?

The following is what I was looking to get out of Buy Iatio:

Blade Material: Folded Steel (laminate 12 times folded)
    Construction: Kobuse
    Blade Length (Nagasa): 2.50 shaku (75.7cm)
    Bo-hi (Groove): 1/3 Single Bohi
    Moto-Kasane: 7 mm Standard
    Kissaki: CHU (medium)
    Boshi: KOMARU (small circle)
    Nakago (Full Tang): Kijimomo-gata
    Yasurime: Gyaku-taka-no-ha
    Nakago-Jiri: Haagari
    Clay Tempered Process: With clay tempered process
    Hamon: Notare Genuine
    Hand Polishing: 13 stages traditional hand polished
    Yokote: Geometric Yokote
    Hand Sharpening: Hand Sharpened for Tameshigiri

The price point for this was about 1000 usd

For that money a hanwei, dynasty forge or Red Dragonfly/Kaneie would be a more safe choice, as far as quality is concerned.
    Thucydides

I totally agree with John Coris. Look elsewhere.

I keep trying to look into Red Dragonfly/Kaneie but I think the sites are broken.

If it doesn't have to be RIGHT NOW, you can commission a basic katana in koshirae from Pavel Bolf for cca. 1500 USD... PRICE LIST

Or, if it has to be RIGHT NOW, double the amount at least, and get one of these from him... FOR SALE

And than, you will have something you can be proud of... And TRULY custom...

Hi Hrvoje

Thank you for your response.

Does he make these himself or is he brokering them?

There are a few things on his site I can't figure out. Do you know the best way to contact him?

The prices on his site are about double what you suggested but I think that has a bit to do with the exchange rate..

Sincerely
    Bill Sheehan

Pavel Bolf is a well known Czech smith and aikidoka... Google a little, and search SFI also...

His basic katana in koshirae is 26000 CZK, about 1500 USD, as I said, check his price list...

You can contact him via his e-mail, jswords@seznam.cz but he doesn't spek English too well... I'm sure though that someone will help him translate if needed...

Just keep in mind his General conditions:

'The swords and sword accessories are made upon the customer’s order.
    The price is set according to the complexity of the making process based on agreement.

General conditions
    The orderer takes due note of the making process of the Japanese blade being aprox. 1 year, however, it could be even more according to the type of the order. The date of starting the making process is considered the date the first 1/3 of the total price is delivered (or handled) if not agreed otherwise. The maker then makes the blade and advise the orderer. After that he is to pay the second third of the total price. The delay between the advice, the orderer and the second payment is added to the whole production time. Once the order is completed, the orderer pays the last third of the total price upon takeover (or before it).
    ...'

The ones that are available for sale are more expensive, because of the steel or koshirae, the least expensive one being more than double of his basic model, 65000 CZK... TACHI

But, you wouldn't need to wait...

Hi Hrvoje

Thanks again for the information and the direction you are pointing me in.

I see that Pavel offers a basic albeit nicely made and polished monosteel blade in basic dress for about 1,500 USD. I'm sorry I missed that the first time I looked at the site.

I am after an affordable about 1,000 USD up to 1,500 USD folded blade. His work as nice as it is puts me well over my 2,000 USD budget.

Thanks
    Bill S

Not to mention that Pavel is ideal for European buyers as there are no customs and less postage, for US residents our fellow forumite John Smith is an affordable quality alternative for a custom blade on the price range.
    Thucydides