Thread: Tanto Under Construction

Tanto Under Construction

A little something I am working on. Basically I am making this for myself and trying out new ideas I have not tried before...
    Blade, habaki and some parts of the saya were from a PC Wind and Thunder Tanto.

Things I am trying out...
    Saya shortened, new horn kojiri, kurikata reshaped, addition of rattan wrap... experimenting with different applications of laquer (it might not look like this stripped idea when I get done with it)

New tsuka with full samegawa, fuchi and kashira carved from scratch out of black horn which has some white and beige swirls to match the kurikata which also has swirls. Experimenting with laquered samegawa and will try jabaramaki with that stuff you see in a roll in the picture. Its a very tough natural substance I am trying all kinds of things to get it to accept color dies (black) but so far it is a bit too waxy/fatty to accept dye... have tried soaking in rubbing alcohol and acetone to remove the wax with some success but dies just rubb off of it... It is also a bit translucent which is another reason I died the same red to see what would show through...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Please look in the encyclopedia and make a brief memorandum for me concerning the life of Correggio."
    Elbert Hubbard

Nakamura Ryu Batto Do, Order of Seven Hearts

Cool little project you have going on. I have a thought on the ito stuff and removing the wax: Have you tried boiling it? This might heat the wax to a melting point and then lift it away.
    I like swords.

If you want to climb a mountain, begin at the top.

"Integrity, justice, courage, and action - without these, a person is of no consequence." - Don Nelson

learn the way to preserve rather than destroy.
    avoid rather than check, check rather than hurt, hurt rather than maim, maim rather than kill.
    for all life is precious, not one can be replaced.

its kind of like rawhide and it will loose its structure if boiled
    "Please look in the encyclopedia and make a brief memorandum for me concerning the life of Correggio."
    Elbert Hubbard

Nakamura Ryu Batto Do, Order of Seven Hearts

I assume it will also lose it's structure in hot water. I have no further ideas.
    I like swords.

If you want to climb a mountain, begin at the top.

"Integrity, justice, courage, and action - without these, a person is of no consequence." - Don Nelson

learn the way to preserve rather than destroy.
    avoid rather than check, check rather than hurt, hurt rather than maim, maim rather than kill.
    for all life is precious, not one can be replaced.

how about a double boiler, small pot in a larger pot and then just simmer with one drop of Dawn Dish washing liquid. if you have a candy thermometer or other thermometer keep the water between 140 and 150 degrees.