Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: US Model 1902 unusual variations

Thank you. I think I will just wipe the furniture down. I can't tell if it's plated or not so I'm not going to take a chance. I really appreciate all your help. The backstrap, pommel, and cap nut don't look like the guard. To my untrained eye they look like real silver. Is that possible?

Quote Originally Posted by A Flesch View Post
    The backstrap, pommel, and cap nut don't look like the guard. To my untrained eye they look like real silver. Is that possible?
    I won't say anything is impossible in regard to the M1902, but I'd put that in the category of extremely unlikely.

OK. Well I have to say I came to the right place. You are an incredible wealth of knowledge. Thank you very much.

OK. Well I have to say I came to the right place. You are an incredible wealth of knowledge. Thank you very much.
    You're very welcome. No doubt other members with more info to share will be along.

The above is a very early child's sword: likely pre 1908. The grip is brown because it is horn. It has an Ames look.

Quote Originally Posted by George Wheeler View Post
    Tim,

I love your little sword! It is in much better condition, and has much better detail, than my Kindersable that I showed earlier in this thread.

Here is another variation that is interesting. We discussed grip color for the M1902 Army Officer Saber and talked about them generally being various shades of aged/faded black with some exceptions. Here is one that has a definite khaki colored plastic grip that shows no signs of ever having been a darker color. This sword is unmarked and has no Germany stamp but is very well made. The nickeled blade is plain and is not etched. The nickeled steel scabbard has an integral throat piece rather than a removable one. The only visible marking is an assembly number of 5 stamped on the hilt that would normally be covered by a leather washer, which is now missing. A very well made sword that does have the ridge on the knuckle guard and a nickeled brass hilt.
    This is a pre 1908 Ames style child's sword The brow grip is Horn.
    I will post another 'small'.

Thank you. I think I will just wipe the furniture down. I can't tell if it's plated or not so I'm not going to take a chance. I really appreciate all your help. The backstrap, pommel, and cap nut don't look like the guard. To my untrained eye they look like real silver. Is that possible?
    Many of the higher grade M1902's have nickle silver hilts. Nickle silver, often called German silver, is a nickle alloy that contains no actual silver.
    This cut from the 1912/1914 catalog describes the different models.
    The Model 365 has a coin silver hilt. I wonder how many survived; because I have never seen one. Lilley hilts are often found with bent branches.They are tricky to fix.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by T. Graham; 07-02-2013 at 05:21 AM.

The Georgia M1902

This is a very early M1902 variant made by The M.C. Lilley Co., Columbus Ohio. It has the Lilley type 1 blade etching, gold wash finish and a buffalo horn grip. The scabbard mountings are more like the M1872 Cavalry Saber. I would date it about 1905. The tang is not marked 'Germany'.
    The most interesting feature is the Georgia state seal. It is not marked for presentation. Was it made special for National Guard or militia use? Any thoughts.
    I have another that is very similar.

Tim,

I wonder if your Georgia sword could be related to my "Old Guard - Georgia" sword?

http://www.swordforum.com/forums/sho...ight=old+guard

Both seem to have the same gilt brass hilt and fittings (except for the GA seal on yours) so perhaps related? Mine was made by Pettibone but they date from around the same time period it seems.
    "You can't please everyone, so you have to please yourself." Ricky Nelson

Small 02

This 02 by an unknown maker could have been carried by a child or very short adult. The hilt is similar to early WKC imports. There is not a mark on it. Maybe someday I will try to improve the scabbard. Anyone have any ideas.
    Last edited by T. Graham; 07-10-2013 at 05:13 AM.

My first thought would be a Cadet sword. I have a couple of school marked M1902s about this size.
    "You can't please everyone, so you have to please yourself." Ricky Nelson

M1902 scabbard 'springs'

On the US military forum there is discussion on keeping the blade in the scabbard. This Eickhorn for the retailer Brodsky has phosphor bronze 'springs' that keep the blade in with out scratching it.
    They were held in place by friction between the throat and scabbard.

This oddball is basically the same as the sword that started this thread. The only real difference is the nickle plated scabbard mounts and the black painted wood grip. The blade etching indicates it was made by Ames but it is not marked. I would think it was made for a military school or a militia company.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234