Thread: Help to identify the sword

Help to identify the sword

Hello friends, I am Brazilian and I am also the owner of a forum, the " Forum Amor de Peixe ", did not put the link because you can not know this site but is a forum for aquarium.
    But I'm here for another reason, had a friend who had a sword that I always liked and he gave me the sword as a wedding present. I'd like to try to identify the type, age, where it came from, etc..
    This friend told me it was the time of Dutch occupation in Brazil, but I would make sure, here are some photos.

If you do not know, I wonder where I informed about this, I thank.
    Marcelo
    Last edited by Glen C.; 12-08-2011 at 10:23 AM. Reason: http added

Sorry, but the photos are not appearing.

Marcelo,

Here you go. Welcome to the forums.
    Looks like a British 1796 Heavy Cavalry Troopers Sword to me.

Best
    Gene

Edit: Congratulations on your marriage
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by Gene Wilkinson; 12-08-2011 at 09:53 AM.

Thank you.
    Is there a catalog or a website where you can confirm?

LOL, If you google 'British 1796 Heavy Cavalry Troopers Sword' you'll see various examples.
    I don't know if this pattern was adopted by other countries. I'm sure someone else will be along soon to confirm. In the meantime look for markings on yours.
    It's a famous 'type' there is even one on the Wiki page:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1796_Heavy_Cavalry_Sword

She is very rusty, I was thinking of sanding and pass anti rust.
    There is another solution or leave it even better.

I wouldn't recommend that you sand it.
    Oil it and use some fine wire wool, then oil again and leave and repeat if needed. A slow process is best, don't rush, don't try and do it all in one go.
    Don't try and remove all the dark colour caused by the rust , just the active rust on the surface. If you scrub the rust completely off then the metal will look bright and pitted and it will not look good. So be gentle and take it slow.

re

Marcelo,

as far as i know Dutch history the Dutch were never to occupy Brazil. the model is English pattern heavy cav. 1796. The dutch used a variant of this model but this example seems to me English...

The Dutch invaded Brazil in 1624 and remained until 1661, which was at least 135 years before this swords time.
    "Please look in the encyclopedia and make a brief memorandum for me concerning the life of Correggio."
    Elbert Hubbard

Nakamura Ryu Batto Do, Order of Seven Hearts

re

yes ofcourse Chris,

But i was thinking/talking about during the Napoleonic period from witch time this sabre came from. In those days i think they used broadswords...
    The only Dutchmen i can remember ended in Brasil those days was Génèral Hogedorp, former aide-de-camp of Napoleon who owned a plantage over there...

Britain supplied her allies with this pattern. I used to own a P1796 heavy cavalry trooper's sword with Portuguese unit markings. Perhaps your sword is a relic of the United Kingdom of Portugal, Brazil, and the Algarves, or the Brazilian War of Independence?

I found a product called "CorrosionX," he is new in Brazil and promised to remove the rust without damaging the material. I plan on using it with "Bombril" (steel wool). I was highly recommended, has anyone used it? There is another efficient way to clean the rust?

In some pictures I saw that the sword is inscribed on the cable, apparently I do not have or is covered by rust, as in this photo:

What does it mean?
    Is that all I have and still covered with rust or might not have anything in writing?

Marcello,
    On your sword the guard the metal is quite pitted. You should proceed with caution as removing all the rust and leaving the metal bare and pitted might not look very good.
    Start with fine wire wool and oil and lightly clean all of the corroded areas. Don't try to clean all of the rust off, just gently clean all affected areas then leave for a while. The oil will continue to penetrate into the rust and you can always clean a little more later. Do it in stages, not all at once.
    Can you see any stamps/markings on the blade?

I recommend this excellent article on sword conservation:

http://www.swordforum.com/forums/con...d-July-18-2001

Quote Originally Posted by marcelomelloramos View Post
    I found a product called "CorrosionX," he is new in Brazil and promised to remove the rust without damaging the material. I plan on using it with "Bombril" (steel wool). I was highly recommended, has anyone used it? There is another efficient way to clean the rust?

In some pictures I saw that the sword is inscribed on the cable, apparently I do not have or is covered by rust, as in this photo:

What does it mean?
    Is that all I have and still covered with rust or might not have anything in writing?
    This sword was issued to the Worcester Yeomanry Cavalry.

I am cleaning up the sword and then put the pictures and I'm also building a box to put it.
    As I also have a forum I used to do things and take pictures of pass-by-step.
    Is there area projects DIY in this forum or I can put the project of the box anywhere?

After treatment with white vinegar and baking soda looks like this:

Before it was:

Still did not move the cable but I've seen that has no inscriptions on it, touch it when I put the photos here.