Thread: FOR SALE: Japanese katana - Forged blade - Fully mounted - Ready for tameshigiri

FOR SALE: Japanese katana - Forged blade - Fully mounted - Ready for tameshigiri

I was a student of Shinkendo for almost 20 years, but recently retired from practice to devote more time to my family. This shinken was my last tameshigiri (test cutting) sword before retiring. I purchased it from one of my instructors in 2007 and used it both in class and for demonstrations. I am no expert, but I believe it to be Gendaito period, early to mid-20th century. It is a traditionally made, forged blade, not the cheap stamped or cast that you sometimes see from this period (we could only use traditionally forged blades for class). The nakago is signed and the translation I have reads "KANEMICHI." Blade length from top of the habaki to the tip of the kissaki is 26 inches. Hamon is straight and very subtle. Blade thickness is approximately 1/4 inch. Tsuka is wrapped with dark blue silk cord and is 9.5 inches long. Double mekugi for added security. Tsuba is a beautifully simple iron circle design. Tsuba is also signed, although I do not have a translation handy. Sageo is dark blue silk cord and matches the type on the tsuka. Scabbard is made specifically for this blade and has a snug friction fit with the habaki when fully inserted. Finish is gloss black and is in excellent condition. This katana is ready for kata or test cutting and should need no modifications.

Sword will come in the blue striped bag, as shown. I will also include a cleaning kit in wooden box that includes uchiko powder, brass hammer & punch, and choji oil.

$2,000 shipped and PayPal'ed in the continental U.S. I will ship FedEx Ground fully insured for the purchase price. 24 hour inspection period.

Please PM me if you are interested. I will be happy to speak on the phone with any interested buyer. Naturally, I feel this is best suited for a serious martial arts student who intends to use the sword in their training.

-Mike

Still available. $1800 shipped and PayPal'ed.

Some more photos:

Last edited by Mike Philpott; 05-30-2012 at 02:56 PM.

Still available for domestic (U.S.) sales only.

Still available.

Price reduced to $1,600 Pay Pal'ed and shipped in the continental United States.

Hi Mike - just curious if you sold this yet?

Thanks,

Sam
    Beauty is only skin deep...but ugly goes all the way to the bone.

Still got it. I'm not in a huge rush to sell. $1,600 is as low as I'll go for a PayPal sale that includes domestic shipping. I might consider less for a face-to-face cash deal.

I'm wondering if I should re-post this in the "Modern" classified section?

-Mike

Given the possible age and signature on the blade it might actually have some collectors value. Althiugh that would depend on the condition of the blade and whether a polish could bring it back, etc. Nihonto message board might be a place to post as well. There are a number of practitioners who may be interested as well as a plethora of collectors who might be interested.

BTW...where are you located?

Sam
    Beauty is only skin deep...but ugly goes all the way to the bone.

Hi all,

I still have this nihon-to available for sale. I've incurred some recent debts and am more motivated to sell than before, so I will now entertain all reasonable offers. Send me a PM if interested. I'll be happy to talk to interested parties on the phone, as well. At this time I will still only ship within the continental U.S.

Make me an offer!

-Mike

Are those 2 tiny holes near the bottomn of the blade?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ng. View Post
    Are those 2 tiny holes near the bottomn of the blade?
    If you are referring to the two holes in the nakago, then yes. They are called mekugi-ana. When assembling the sword, the handle is fitted over the nakago, You then drive two bamboo pins, called mekugi, through the mekugi-ana. You can do this using the small brass hammer that is included in the accompanying kit. The mekugi are what hold the blade in the handle and prevent it from flying out when used. Most authentic nihon-to will have one mekugi. Since this sword was used for live test cutting we were required to have two mekugi for safety purposes, hence the two "holes."

Hope this answers your question.

-Mike

No I didn't mean that, it appear near the habaki

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ng. View Post
    No I didn't mean that, it appear near the habaki
    In that case, no. Other than the mekugi-ana there are no holes in the blade.

Pm sent

Bob Bugh
    Bob Bugh

SOLD!

I will keep this ad up until the transaction is complete.

-Mike

I took out my personal sword for a bit tonight and thought to look on this site. Wish I had done so a couple of weeks ago. I might could have kept this sword 'in the family'. I remember it well.

Warm regards from Belgium, Sensei Michael.

David

David,

Great to hear from you! Hope all is going well in Belgium. Yes, the sword is now gone, but its new owner reports that he is very happy with it. Wish I could have held onto it, but it was hard to justify after years of non-use and bills to pay.

Take care and be safe on that bad motor scooter you recently purchased.

-Mike