Thread: weight of leather to use for my targe?

weight of leather to use for my targe?

im making a targe and wondered what oz weight of leather would be fine? is 3-4 oz ok or do I have to go to a 5oz? I dont plan on tooling.

From what Im told a little heavier leather would be better, but Ive see a few that had 3-4 oz stretched
    On it and they looked ok. Then too, it depends if they are for show or use. Show only, light leather wil work.
    For use 6-8 might be better. IMO
    "Do not suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your liberty by any pretences of politeness, delicacy or decency.
    These, as they are often used, are but three names for hypocrisy, chicanery, and cowardice.” John Adams, 1789

"Everything the enemy least expects will succeed the best."

Frederick the Great 1747

I have been lucky enough to examine a real one from Culloden with a chunk taken out of it so the layers are very obvious and the leather is remarkably light (maybe even less than 3mm) I will try to get a measurement the next time I am in the collection. It is very rigid though and quite brittle which suggests a degree of cuir bouille being practised (no this has nothing to do with wax) There is also not a raw hide layer on this example.
    I hope that helps a little.
    ~B
    ~ Ben Kerr ~

Triquetra Services (Scotland)
    Registered Charity (SC042086)
    Academy of Historical Arts

"Heroes fade eventually, but Legends never die."