Thread: Weapons of Warriors - Famous Antique Swords of the near East

Exclamation Weapons of Warriors - Famous Antique Swords of the Near East

Gentlemen,

the reason for this post is just to say: Thank you so much.

You fellow members have helped us with our new book so much, thank you. Sandeep Singh for example supported us with a photographic insight into Koftgari technique and you have helped us with a lot of answers to the questions we had, we are gratefull for that.

The book is ready now, it'll be released in March. You will find there magnificient and beautiful swords, once carried by famous rulers into battle, as well as ancient swords, owned nearly thousand years before our times by true warriors, from whom we will never know their names and fates.

The most important swords are layouted first time in history over four folding pages, so you will see them in 1:1 scale. Of course you will also find beautifully and brillantly photographed details.

Thank you so much for your great help.

Kindest regards;

Hermann

Table of Contents
    Contents.......................................... ..............................11
    The kilic of Selim............................................. ...............13
    Sultan Bayezid II sabre blade..........................................25
    Shamshir of Suleiman I................................................. ..33
    Early German crusaders sword.........................................51
    Very early Mamluk broad sword.......................................59
    The kilic of Suleiman I................................................. ....65
    Mamluk broad sword............................................. ..........79
    The Pulouar-hilted kilic of Suleiman I................................87
    Immense Ottoman fighting kilic........................................97
    Ottoman serpentine bladed Shamshir..............................103
    Zulfiqar.......................................... ...............................113
    Iron, steel and the art of sword making
    by Prof. Dr. Helmut Föll.............................................. ....127
    Wootz bladed Persian Shamshir......................................157
    Another Persian Shamshir.......................................... ....163
    Shasqa fitted with European blade..................................171
    Exceedingly rare Turkish Wootz shamshir........................187
    Moroccan Nimcha with a European
    Damascus blade............................................. ...............199
    Zanzibar Saif.............................................. ...................211
    Russian General Pashkevich’s
    presentation Mamluk shamshir.......................................219
    The personal Sabre of
    Abdulkarim Nadir Pasha............................................. ....231
    Yataghan – the national sword of Turkey by Gözde Yaşar...241
    Yataghan with Walrus ivory handle.................................265
    Yataghan with the name of the
    Seven Sleepers.......................................... ....................275
    Steel handled Yataghan.......................................... ........289
    Ottoman Bichaq knife in Yataghan form...........................299
    Koftgari Technique......................................... ................305
    Ottoman Armor............................................. .................311
    Khula Khud with cotton cap............................................329
    Wonderfully complete 19th century
    Khula Khud.............................................. ......................335
    Works cited............................................. .......................342
    Glossary.......................................... ...............................344
    The Team.............................................. ........................346
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Jerry H.; 01-10-2012 at 03:50 PM.

Thanks to Vic Diehl and Hermann Hampe, who inspired me to contribute in this book and i tried my best to provide you techniques of Koftgari and different types of this similiar art.
    Gold-Silver Koftgari damascened artist and bladesmith
    www.finedamascus.com , finedamascus@gmail.com
    Some examples of my art
    http://s597.photobucket.com/albums/t...oftgariartist/
    My company's website
    www.centuryarms.co.in

Sandeep,
    It has been a true pleasure working with you on this project. Your knowledge of this ancient craft explains to modern collectors the intricacy involved in the decoration of the magnificant swords in this book. Without understanding koftgari you cannot really, truly appreciate the swords we have pictured. The whole object of the book is to present this museum collection in the highest resolution and largest size so the reader actually has the feeling that he is holding these rare treasures in his very hands. I think when you open the double gate-fold pages of the swords of Selim and Suleiman I, and see a picture nearly 4 feet wide in the highest resolution possible you will understand the feeling I am talking about. The photographic work done by Herr Hampe and our photographer in Instanbul, Yildirim Celik have surpassed all expectations. This is truly the high art book we wanted to produce.
    Last edited by Vic Diehl; 03-08-2012 at 07:01 AM.

Just curious to know if book is available for sale?
    Some examples of my art
    My company's website
    www.centuryarms.co.in

Sandeep:

I am constantly checking on this. Here is the latest. The book is scheduled for release on May 28, 2012. It will be available world wide. I have noticed a number of dealers in India are taking pre-orders.
    So not much longer my friend. vic

Do we have any new updates? I pre-ordered through the recommended link in this thread but have been told they don't know when to expect to receive the book.
    "Strength and pride, violence and skill: these are what weaponry proclaims. Its purpose is deadly, and its workmanship often as delicate as a goldsmith's or a lady embroiderer's. These are things upon which lives and freedom have depended, and collections of them have perhaps a greater vitality than anything else displayed to the public." with acknowledement to Treasurers of Britian/published by Drive Publications Ltd. London

Rick:
    Thanks for this question. I received the authors copy yesterday. The books will not be received from China for another 8 weeks. I believe you will find it well worth the wait. Major swords in the the book are done in a double fold gate. When the pages are unfolded you will have a 44 in life size sword laying in front of you.

couple of pics

pics
    Attached Images Attached Images     

pics are really looking great, still very very excited to get the book.
    Some examples of my art
    My company's website
    www.centuryarms.co.in

Schiffer began shipping this book today July 16th.

It looks amazing, mate!

Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by Bennison N View Post
    It looks amazing, mate!

Well done!
    Hi,
    have you received a copy? Just curious.
    Rgds;
    Hermann

To be honest, I just bought one not 40 minutes ago.

I live in New Zealand, so it might take a while to get here.

... great to see a Kiwi as one of the first buyers. Let us know what you're thinking, please.
    Thanks in advance.
    Rgds.
    Hermann
    Last edited by Jerry H.; 07-18-2012 at 03:26 PM.

One of the first reviews:

Boyce Mc. Clains Collectors Corner:

"...

For you warrior wannabes out there you have got to check out the awesome new book by Vic Diehl and Hermann Hampe entitled. Weapons Of Warrior: Famous Antique Swords Of TheNear East.

If you love knives, swords and all things with sharp edges then this is the book for you.

In a stunning photographic study of historic and prestigious Arabic and Turkish swords the authors pain-stakingly chronicle each and every sword in minute detail. Close-up photos examine each and every angle of the swords including inscriptions, handles, cutting edges, flourishes and more.*

The authors were given priority attention as they examined the collections at the Askeri Military Museum in Istanbul, Turkey and an international team of writers provided historical and technical information on each sword. It is an impressive piece of work that collectors, historians and students are sure to cherish."