Thread: Can anyone help with identifying this Wakizashi?

Can anyone help with identifying this Wakizashi?

Hello everyone. Please forgive my ignorance when it comes to edged weapons, this is the first one I have owned. It came to me through my Uncle who was a sergeant in the Armed forces in WW2 so I assume this is where he acquired this blade. The sword itself was discovered by myself in a dusty corner in his garage where it had lived for at least 30 years. Other than that, I know nothing about it only that it is a Wakizashi and looks Military. There is Japanese writing under the handle (I believe this is called a "Mei") which is very hard to read and the camera won't pick it up properly because i can't switch the flash off (as good with cameras as I am with swords lol). I have copied the Mei on to a piece of paper (the best I could) and photographed that as well if this helps? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thank You in advance! Kind Regards,Darren
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Darrensmith; 02-07-2012 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Trying to add more pictures.

More Pictures of Wakizashi.

Some more pictures.

Mei

I have tried to take a picture of the signature but won't come out too well. I have tried to copy it onto a piece of paper but maybe inaccurate but I had a go!! I don't think it's fake or a reproduction as I know it's history for at least the last 30 years but you never know!! The blade is in good condition although has some surface rust on it.

What's the blade length? It looks too long for a wakisashi, about katana length. It's in Officers mounts, and it could well be an older blade in military mounts. If the blade length, in a straight line between the back edge where it goes against the copper habaki (fitting on the sword which abuts the guard) and the tip, is over about 24", then it classifies as a katana.
    Last edited by Al Massey; 02-07-2012 at 07:09 PM.

darren, rub some white chalk in mei then dust off surplus leaving chalk in mei only,
    you are posting pics upside down, take pic of mei with point of sword up in the air
    this looks like a civillian sword with handachi kashira.

Thank you both so much for your help and asistance. I have added these pictures (and rubbed chalk into the mei as you suggested Brenig). I have also turned it the right way round!!!!
    On closer inspection, I also found another stamp above the mei which I have tried to capture but is very difficult to make out properly and there are also three horizontal lines across the back of the sword where the Mei is?? Not sure if these have any significance or not but it may help to identify the swords origins.

Al, the blade itself measures 25" exactly from the measuring points you supplied.

Again, thank you so much for your help and taking the time to reply to my post, it is very much appreciated.

Kind Regards, Darren

The small stamp is a "Seki" stamp, which indicates non-traditional manufacture (i.e."Showa-to).
    The mei is "Seki Kane something Saku", one of the myriad wartime Seki tosho no doubt.
    T. Middleton

That seems to be Seki-stamp.

Now as I believe the blade has Seki-stamp, and that makes me draw a conclusion of non-traditional blade.

I tried translating it yesterday from your earlier pics, and tried again now as your photos gave more information.

Now I've gotten ? Kawa Kane? Yori? Saku. Now bear in mind that I'm just a beginner and I strongly believe those Kane and Yori kanjis are wrong. A beginner like me needs good quality close-ups to say anything even remotely surely.
    Jussi Ekholm

Could it be Kanetsugu 兼継 ? Hard to read these sometimes and it pixillates when I blow it up for my old eyes. John

My guess would be Noshu Kanetsuna saku.

Rich S
    Rich S

The Japanese Sword Index
    http://www.japaneseswordindex.com/nihonto.htm

The Nihonto Message Board
    http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/index.php

not a wak...

Quote Originally Posted by Darrensmith View Post
    Al, the blade itself measures 25" exactly from the measuring points you supplied.
    Ok, what you have is a fairly standard-length katana.

Thank You!!

Sorry for the late reply, I have been on holiday and only got back yesterday (Monday).
    Thank you all so much for your help it's very much appreciated, I never realised that there was so much to it!!! My eyes have certainly been opened!

I take it that with it not being made in the traditional manner that it wouldn't be worth trying to restore? To be honest, my original idea was to restore the sword and use as an investment but I am unure what to do with it now??

Again, many, many thanks for your patience and your help,
    Kind Regards, Darren