Thread: Bamboo Mat Kat on KOA.

Bamboo Mat Kat on KOA.

Anyone else out there notice the hundred dollar plus price jump on the Bamboo Mat katana on the Kult of Athena site? Happened almost overnight.
    My guess is that you are reading this in English on a computer of some sort and if that is the case I hate to be the one to tell you but you will never be a samurai nor a ninja, any more than you may apply to become a 12th century French Knight or an Emporer of China. Some jobs are simply no longer hiring.

Ive got an order on hold from KOA for a Bamboo Mat which i want to cancel BUT if someone wants it $440 AUS free shipping in US... Will ship directly from KoA ill just make the shipping address the buyers home address

PM me and we can discuss...

Ive got an order on hold from KOA for a Bamboo Mat which i want to cancel BUT if someone wants it $440 AUS free shipping in US... Will ship directly from KoA ill just make the shipping address the buyers home address

PM me and we can discuss...

wow, thanks for that link Glen. Not sure now if I am glad I recieved that answer or not... To bad.
    My guess is that you are reading this in English on a computer of some sort and if that is the case I hate to be the one to tell you but you will never be a samurai nor a ninja, any more than you may apply to become a 12th century French Knight or an Emporer of China. Some jobs are simply no longer hiring.

Prices seem up a bit on many sites due to this. I am not much of a Hanwei shopper but there are a few items I track and there are still some sellers that don't seem to have raised their prices extraordinarily. Amazon (for instance) still sells with free shipping that beats some of KOAs pricing and it is sometimes just the fluke that their price updating can be pretty slow at times. It sometimes takes a semi-annual audit for Amazon to realize the price blunders they sometimes make in the free shipping dept.

Many are still listed well below SRP. I keep watching the yari and surprisingly, there are still some sellers delivering well below what KOA had always priced them at. In reality though, current pricing is not really any higher than it was ten years ago, which makes them somewhat a bargain at today's dollar. Customer Service man Blake Pogue has always been pretty open to what is going on and even without the delay in manufacture, prices were due to increase anyway. When KOA started offering Del Tin swords, there was a mad rush at the price point until the source (Fulvio Del Tin) required KOA to toe the line if they were going to retail. There had been concern in the past over Hanwei being under sold by e-sellers. If one looks back to the 2002-2003 timeline, there was a great post from Mike Crampton regarding his own woes in selling Hanwei products. One of the pricing limits back then was that there might be a problem with returns for product being drop shipped by the scalpers working at a minimal profit (well below even discounted retail).

With the market as it is now, Hanwei is certainly not the only source for many genre but I have a feeling they will still do just fine in the end. While KOA has garnered a well earned reputation for pricing and customer service, my first steps for modern made swords is ebay and then Google before making a decision. The masses of swords being sold on the secondary market as well (on many boards) point to the frugal ends one might follow.

Cheers

Hotspur; In retrospect, many are still going to remember this period as the good old days even with increased costs. the market overall a decade ago is a faint shadow of opportunity that has grown somewhat exponentially. Some of my very old list is actually discounted from its pricing a few years ago (oh nooooooooo, clicky, clicky; must buy now) .
    Last edited by Glen C.; 02-10-2012 at 06:52 PM.